News:

03/23/05 10,000th post provided by Cnamon!

Main Menu

Harry Potter

Started by OBB, June 28, 2005, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBB

So GOBB got me started reading the books, and I just finished up The Prisoner of Azkaban at 4 AM this morning, because I just had to finish it. I'm really liking the entire series, because I find that far from being strictly kids books, there's a great deal of darkness in them. They kind of remind me of Roald Dahl books to that extent - it's not all nicey nice magical garbage.

Bishamonten

Quote from: OBB on June 28, 2005, 03:40:59 PM
So GOBB got me started reading the books, and I just finished up The Prisoner of Azkaban at 4 AM this morning, because I just had to finish it. I'm really liking the entire series, because I find that far from being strictly kids books, there's a great deal of darkness in them. They kind of remind me of Roald Dahl books to that extent - it's not all nicey nice magical garbage.

You!  I was up till 3am reading X-Wing: Rogue Squadron by Micheal Stackpole and playing X-Wing: Alliance because it got me all hyped! 

Sooo.... how's the sex?

OBB

Quote from: Bishamonten on June 28, 2005, 03:50:04 PM

Sooo.... how's the sex?

:rock:

Bishamonten

Quote from: OBB on June 28, 2005, 03:52:03 PM

Sooo.... how's the sex?

:domokun:

eo000

Quote from: Bishamonten on June 28, 2005, 03:53:48 PM
Quote from: OBB on June 28, 2005, 03:52:03 PM

Sooo.... how's the sex?

:domokun:
:bouncy:

Beefy

They do get darker, though I feel like they've been a bit too repetitive.  I'm hoping she breaks the mold a bit with the last two.

dazie

Sooo.... how's the sex?

Can't be that good if he's READING until 4am...   :loser:

J/K Bob...
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

OBB

Quote from: dazie on June 28, 2005, 04:42:17 PM
Sooo.... how's the sex?

Can't be that good if he's READING until 4am...   :loser:

J/K Bob...

My hand resents that.

BigDun

Another suggestion for good dark reading that is intended for a younger audience is the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman (The Golden Compass / The Subtle Knife / The Amber Spyglass ). It's intended audience is late teens but it would be hard for me to recommend these books to anyone but adults. It is a great read though.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

nishi

Quote from: BigDun on June 28, 2005, 06:21:55 PM
Another suggestion for good dark reading that is intended for a younger audience is the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman (The Golden Compass / The Subtle Knife / The Amber Spyglass ). It's intended audience is late teens but it would be hard for me to recommend these books to anyone but adults. It is a great read though.

those are *great* books! very different from HP of course - they seem to have appeared at about the same time, which was unfortunate, since HDM got lost in the HP hype.

i love HP and am looking forward to spending an entire weekend reading the new one, but i've been eyeing HDM on my shelves and thinking it's about time for a re-read. super books.

and no - i'd not really recommend them for that many kids.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ReBurn

Am I the only person ever that doesn't like Harry Potter?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

I have all the HDM books and have never read them.  Big surprise.

Hollywood is, of course, preparing to "adapt the magic" of them.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ReBurninator on June 29, 2005, 06:35:20 AM
I've never read the books, but I like the movies.

ursus

Quote from: Beefy on June 29, 2005, 06:40:28 AM
Hollywood is, of course, preparing to "adapt the magic" of them.

That must be hollywood-ese for "drain the life away and turn material into indigestable shit".
I was just wondering...

DownSouth

I've only seen one movie and I wasn't impressed.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

kelbel

Great Great Books. I  cannot put down number six and that is why I am really quiet right now. I am at chapter 18 and enjoying what I am reading.
:)

dazie

I just finished 6.  When's the next one come out??

dc

Quote from: dazie on July 27, 2005, 10:41:10 PM

June, 2008.

meredith

Yeah!  I was left hanging after Hermione told Ron she is pregnant, Harry was castrated at the hands of Crabbe, and Hagrid found out that he is actually Dumbledore's son.

Oh yeah, and Neville found a lump on Prof. McGonagall's breast.

NEXT BOOK NOW PLEASE

dazie

Quote from: dc on July 27, 2005, 10:46:34 PM

June, 2008.

I may have to go to JK Rowling's house and "convince" her to write faster.

Quote from: hattmoward on July 27, 2005, 10:47:22 PM
I just finished 6. When's the next one come out??

Yeah! I was left hanging after Hermione told Ron she is pregnant, Harry was castrated at the hands of Crabbe, and Hagrid found out that he is actually Dumbledore's son.

NEXT BOOK NOW PLEASE

crackhead.

dc

Yeah!  I was left hanging after Hermione told Ron she is pregnant, Harry was castrated at the hands of Crabbe, and Hagrid found out that he is actually Dumbledore's son.

NEXT BOOK NOW PLEASE

And don't forget that Michael Eisner is the "Half Blood Prince."

dazie

Quote from: dc on July 27, 2005, 10:48:21 PM

NEXT BOOK NOW PLEASE

And don't forget that Michael Eisner is the "Half Blood Prince."

Well duh.

dc

Be careful that you don't trip over the piles and piles of money.

dazie

Quote from: dc on July 27, 2005, 10:51:36 PM

Be careful that you don't trip over the piles and piles of money.

Oh don't worry- I'll gather that up and remove it first.

Alice

Oh God no.

I won't go into all my reasons for disliking it, as I don't want to piss off people that like it.  Harry Potter is a REALLY sensitive subject for people I'm finding out.  But I despise Harry Pooter and J.K. Rowling.

cnamon

I am not a fan either...doesn't appeal to me.  I am glad I am not alone.

Jessie

I don't like it because it turns our children into devil worshipers.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 10:12:40 AM
Next thing you know, they'll be thinking that families come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religions.  *shudder*

Alice

Can a Harry Potter fan answer this for me...

Why is it such a sensitive topic?  Is it a religion?  I could walk up to a girl and tell her I was planning on stealing her boyfriend from her and she'd get pissed and probably call me a bitch.  If she was a Harry Potter fan and I told her how stupid I thought the books were, she'd start beating the crap out of me.  

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on July 28, 2005, 10:15:59 AM
Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 10:12:40 AM
Next thing you know, they'll be thinking that families come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religions.  *shudder*
Before you know it, blacks will own land and women will want to vote.  What a world, what a world.

BigDun

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 28, 2005, 10:16:37 AM

Why is it such a sensitive topic?  Is it a religion?  I could walk up to a girl and tell her I was planning on stealing her boyfriend from her and she'd get pissed and probably call me a bitch.  If she was a Harry Potter fan and I told her how stupid I thought the books were, she'd start beating the crap out of me.  

There is a diference between attacking a book and saying you don't appreciate it. My mother in law can't get into the series for reasons she is quite able to articulate. But she doesn't call the books stupid.

dazie

Why is it such a sensitive topic?  Is it a religion?  I could walk up to a girl and tell her I was planning on stealing her boyfriend from her and she'd get pissed and probably call me a bitch.  If she was a Harry Potter fan and I told her how stupid I thought the books were, she'd start beating the crap out of me. 

I don't know.  I'm not that obsessed. 

I think it really has to do with the fact that for the first time in a LONG time there is something that kids and adults can agree upon- something not crap that kids can read and get excited about, and something adults get a kick out of too.  I read the book YESTERDAY.  Ursus read it LAST NIGHT.  (he's just now finishing it up)  We'll give it to Tim next.

It's quality material that shows kids they can do things, not just magic things- it really does focus on intelligence and friendship.  And it does it in a more realistic way than those stupid Saturday morning cartoons.  (Oh yeah- well I play my blue eyed white dragon card to wipe out your purple nosed hornblatt)  The friends have to stick together and depend on each other to make it through the trials they face.

Have you read any of it?  They really do keep getting better as they get longer.  You could probably whip through the first one in an evening.  I'd say avoid the movies though.  The first two are pretty much dreck, the third one is the best of the bunch so far.

dc

Why is it such a sensitive topic?  Is it a religion?  I could walk up to a girl and tell her I was planning on stealing her boyfriend from her and she'd get pissed and probably call me a bitch.  If she was a Harry Potter fan and I told her how stupid I thought the books were, she'd start beating the crap out of me. 

All I can say is that I don't get upset when somebody says they hate it.  My eyes glaze over and I stop listening, because I assume you're another one of the fundamentalists walking up to my counter with their soap box.  I've lost count of them at this point. 

I don't care why someone objects to a certain book, I just object to them making it an issue with me just because I sell books.

Beefy

Quote from: BigDun on July 28, 2005, 10:25:19 AM
There is a diference between attacking a book and saying you don't appreciate it. My mother in law can't get into the series for reasons she is quite able to articulate. But she doesn't call the books stupid.

Well said.

Saying you don't care for it is fine.  But saying you hate it or calling it stupid is a bit more.  If the books are so horrible, what must that say about the legions that enjoy them.  I think the harsh reactions people get are because of the harsh attacks that get dished out.

I try and save my hatred for people like Tom DeLay, not fictional books that encourage kids to read.

Alice

I can articulate the hell out of why I don't like the books.  But if someone said that they thought Imajica was stupid, or any other books that I adore - I would never get pissed off about it.  And people genuinely get upset when I tell them the reasons why I don't care for them.  

And yes, I have read 2 of them.  The first one out of curiosity.  The second one because I thought the first one was horrid and my friend told me the second one was much better... so she bought me a copy.  

Again, I think it's great you guys like it.  I have no problems with it - and I can understand why.  They just aren't for me.  I am not confused as to why people like them, but I am confused as to why they are such a sensitive topic for people 21+.

dc

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 28, 2005, 10:32:29 AM

I can articulate the hell out of why I don't like the books.  But if someone said that they thought Imajica was stupid, or any other books that I adore - I would never get pissed off about it.  And people genuinely get upset when I tell them the reasons why I don't care for them. 

And yes, I have read 2 of them.  The first one out of curiosity.  The second one because I thought the first one was horrid and my friend told me the second one was much better... so she bought me a copy. 

Again, I think it's great you guys like it.  I have no problems with it - and I can understand why.  They just aren't for me.  I am not confused as to why people like them, but I am confused as to why they are such a sensitive topic for people 21+.

Well, if we're discussing the 21+ crowd, that one I know a little about from experiences with customers.  It's considered a children's book, and people get defensive because they think you're about to accuse them of reading a "kid's book."

An excellent illustration of this is that the British publisher had to release a children's cover and an adult cover because people were embarrassed to be seen reading it in public.

eo000

Quote from: dc on July 28, 2005, 10:37:24 AM

I can articulate the hell out of why I don't like the books.  But if someone said that they thought Imajica was stupid, or any other books that I adore - I would never get pissed off about it.  And people genuinely get upset when I tell them the reasons why I don't care for them. 

And yes, I have read 2 of them.  The first one out of curiosity.  The second one because I thought the first one was horrid and my friend told me the second one was much better... so she bought me a copy. 

Again, I think it's great you guys like it.  I have no problems with it - and I can understand why.  They just aren't for me.  I am not confused as to why people like them, but I am confused as to why they are such a sensitive topic for people 21+.

Well, if we're discussing the 21+ crowd, that one I know a little about from experiences with customers.  It's considered a children's book, and people get defensive because they think you're about to accuse them of reading a "kid's book."

An excellent illustration of this is that the British publisher had to release a children's cover and an adult cover because people were embarrassed to be seen reading it in public.

the adult cover.

[attachment deleted by admin]

dazie

I'm going to hazard a guess that most adults wouldn't be caught dead reading a kids' book, so they have to reinforce their interest in this set.  Sometimes vehemently.

dc

Actually, in all seriousness, they're still issuing multiple covers....

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/default.asp?sec=2

Alice

Ahhh, okay - that makes more sense to me.  I mean, it is a kid's book - but that's not why I don't care for it.  For fuck's sake I read Alice In Wonderland almost every month... and Thief of Always.  Both are kids books.  So it never occurred to me that would be the reason - but that makes a lot of sense.

dazie

Those are COOL.  I havent' seen any of those.

Alice

P.S. - this is my friend Shroomie.

Beefy

Of course, you can argue over what a 'kid's book' is.  I think that's subjective.

dc

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 28, 2005, 10:44:20 AM

Ahhh, okay - that makes more sense to me.  I mean, it is a kid's book - but that's not why I don't care for it.  For fuck's sake I read Alice In Wonderland almost every month... and Thief of Always.  Both are kids books.  So it never occurred to me that would be the reason - but that makes a lot of sense.

I read kid's books all the time, and I don't even try to justify it by saying that it's my job.  There are some good ones out there.  But tell an adult customer that they're looking for a children's book or a teen customer that it's a "young readers" book, and you can see them flush.  That's why we had to rename the teen section to "Teens."

dazie

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 28, 2005, 10:46:36 AM

Wow.  See- I'll wear "house colors" to the movies, I'll dress up my kids at Halloween, but it would take a hellova costume party invite to make me dress up like a character from the book.

I :heart: costume parties actually.  But it would have to be for a party- not for anything else.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on July 28, 2005, 10:49:03 AM

Wow.  See- I'll wear "house colors" to the movies, I'll dress up my kids at Halloween, but it would take a hellova costume party invite to make me dress up like a character from the book.

I :heart: costume parties actually.  But it would have to be for a party- not for anything else.

Costume parties are fun.  We need to have one.

eo000

Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 01:59:00 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 28, 2005, 10:49:03 AM

Costume parties are fun.  We need to have one.
grown ups in costumes? how fucking stupid.  ;)

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Beefy on July 28, 2005, 10:47:07 AM
Of course, you can argue over what a 'kid's book' is.  I think that's subjective.

"Every book is a kids book if they can read."

-Mitch Hedberg

dazie

We should have a Junto Halloween party!

meredith

Quote from: dazie on July 28, 2005, 06:05:57 PM

ooh! i'll ask nikki if I can keep her dress!

bwahahahahaha

dazie

Quote from: hattmoward on July 28, 2005, 06:37:21 PM

bwahahahahaha

There are so many things I'd rather see you in than a dress...

eo000

Quote from: dazie on July 28, 2005, 07:33:58 PM

bwahahahahaha

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on July 28, 2005, 07:47:56 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 28, 2005, 07:33:58 PM

bwahahahahaha

+1

meredith

She said I'm too big to fit in it anymore.  I couldn't take this insult sitting down.

The second one was... just because.

Gamplayerx

Hahahaha.  I like you, hatt.  I like you alot.

But what the hell is that second one and, better question, who's is that second one?

Beefy

You look like you should be in an early 80s metal band.

dazie

Oh.

My.

God.

Not bad, really.  The goatee does take away some, but not bad.  I've seen worse.

ReBurn

I'm sure those pictures are already in eo000's collection by now.  Hatt, you are just encouraging eo, you know.

eo000

the second one reminds me of bloodninja.

meredith

That second one is something Nikki got last halloween, a sleeveless black dress thing and that sparkly blue thing to go over it.  it has  a spiders and spiderwebs pattern in the blue shiny stuff.

meredith

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't have the chance to pretty up as much as last time.  I'm sure the facial hair has a strange effect on the overall strange image, too.

meredith

Quote from: Beefy on July 29, 2005, 07:34:58 PM
You look like you should be in an early 80s metal band.

I'll get the hairspray!

meredith

I found a crappy costume cloak from some halloween past!  of course I wore it for the next few hours.

PICTURE GOODNESS

ooh so evil

ah the death glare, what you don't see is that lazers shot out of my eyes just moments after and destroyed the camera

luckily one of my minions had a spare

and here's my evil laugh! laugh with me! mwahahahahaha

bwahahahaha

muhahahaha

oh and here's jinx because he was being cute.

BigDun

eo000

i'm sure Jinx is sufficating Wanda.

fun pics!

Gamplayerx

You're a funny one, hatt.

Infobahn

Beefy

Quote from: hattmoward on July 31, 2005, 12:00:48 AM

Though it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night
I can see paradise by the dashboard light

Gamplayerx

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on July 31, 2005, 08:50:43 AM

OMG.  That didn't occur to me until you said that, seeing's as Hatt ISN'T a hugely overweight drug addled one album wonder, but yeah- I can see that.

(I love Meatloaf, don't get me wrong)

meredith

Quote from: Beefy on July 31, 2005, 08:50:43 AM

hahahahahaha

i hate you :)

hahahahahaha

BigDun

I am currently sitting in my living room in an easy chair listening to Jim Dale's dulcet tone's read the unabridged HP&THBP while my wife knits on the couch next to me.

Life Is Good.

ReBurn

Quote from: BigDun on July 31, 2005, 08:34:06 PM
I am currently sitting in my living room in an easy chair listening to Jim Dale's dulcet tone's read the unabridged HP&THBP while my wife knits on the couch next to me.

Life Is Good.
Well how does he pronounce that?  Because I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

BigDun

Quote from: ReBurninator on July 31, 2005, 08:35:37 PM
Quote from: BigDun on July 31, 2005, 08:34:06 PM

Life Is Good.
Well how does he pronounce that?  Because I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

He says "that" the same way I do. Well, with a bit of an English accent.

dazie

Some reviews from local kids (and adults) re: HP6.

Some spoilers, so if you haven't finished the book- DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!

I love reading young kids' stuff like this.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/aug/02/all_eye_harry/?living

Beefy

I still haven't started it.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on August 02, 2005, 12:26:32 PM

aack.  I thought I was bad by not starting it until last week.

READ IT!  I want to know what you think of it.

nishi

man. i finished it the sunday morning after it was released. how can you stand waiting? i'm terrible at waiting.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

I keep starting books and not finishing them, or even getting 1/4 through them before the TV or internet distracts me.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

nishi

i usually read a lot, but this summer i've been plowing through books like some kind of maniac. i'm reading everything like it's harry potter. i just finished Winds of War and then War and Remembrance, and then last weekend read another novel called The Little Friend which was good but incredibly bleak.

i've come to the conclusion that it's not that i don't like tv. it's that i actually can't watch tv. it makes me anxious, i keep wanting to do something else. i totally understand people who do stuff like knit and watch tv. that i could maybe do. except i don't know how to knit.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

I have the TV on all the time, and I never know what's going on. There was a Robert Redford and George Segal movie on the other day, and I would notice it every 20 minutes or so.

That said, I still can't focus on reading. Part of the problem is that I need glasses pretty bad.

ursus

I thought it was a decent book, one of the better in the series.

...And I don't mind if someone doesn't like the series, I thought the first two movies were shit, but I still speak with people who loved them...

BTW, our daughter is reading from the "Magic Treehouse" series. She likes them (which is cool) but they have some of the worst mechanics I've ever seen. ("Worst sentence structure. Ever." ...or similar) I wish Theodore Geisel was still kicking... :'(
I was just wondering...

Jessie

Timothy loves the Series of Unfortunate Events books.  I think he only has like 3 of the 11 left to read.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on August 03, 2005, 08:26:23 AM
Timothy loves the Series of Unfortunate Events books.  I think he only has like 3 of the 11 left to read.

My Tim liked them too.  I was meh on the series, but it kept him reading so...

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on August 03, 2005, 08:27:18 AM

The movie sucked.  I haven't read the books but he is in love with them.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on August 03, 2005, 08:27:50 AM
Quote from: dazie on August 03, 2005, 08:27:18 AM

The movie sucked.  I haven't read the books but he is in love with them.
I haven't seen the movie or read the books, but I have a really cute Series of Unfortunate Events game on my phone.

ursus

Wow, that's a bunch of info...
I was just wondering...

dazie

If I were 15, I'd think Cedric was hot.

Mr. Ubiquity

Her Hiney... *ahem*   i mean Heromine, if i was 15 , is cute as heck.

She can called me a foul mouthed lowsom evil little cockroach anytime.

Tough girls rock.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Beefy

I think I'll do so today, seeing as I'm feeling the draw of the bookstore.

Beefy

I started the book.  I'll get back to you with my opinion when I finally finish it six months from now.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on August 16, 2005, 09:04:56 AM
I started the book.  I'll get back to you with my opinion when I finally finish it six months from now.

WILL YOU HURRY UP!

Jeez.

Alice

WARNING: SPOILER IN LINK!

This arrived at my house on Saturday.  I wish I had gotten it in time for the roomies party as there were tons of Harry Potter fans there.  :(

eo000

dude should just stay looking like potter.

dazie

Quote from: AliceLiddell on August 16, 2005, 09:12:24 AM
WARNING: SPOILER IN LINK!

This arrived at my house on Saturday.  I wish I had gotten it in time for the roomies party as there were tons of Harry Potter fans there.  :(

BWAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!

I love that.   ;D

Alice

I don't know why people think he's so cute.  He's not.  At all.  Plus, he's underage.

cnamon

WTF?  He looks like a fucking Brady Bunch reject.

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on August 16, 2005, 09:15:32 AM
dude should just stay looking like potter.

He totally looks like my friend Nikki in that picture.  I wonder if she's really Harry Potter?

Jessie

dazie

Now that looks COOL.  Heh.

Number 6

wow....maybe i will like this film

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Number 6 on August 24, 2005, 02:42:46 PM
wow....maybe i will like this film

if there is no blood, no chance..

I wanna see   Hellraiser vs harry potter.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Number 6

we've come to tear your soul apart harry

you know there fucking better be some blood.....i ,mean some very bloody stuff happens
i think Harry is a member of The Union Of British Fascists

Potter with 'fascist' scar

The Blackshirts.....also known as The Union Of British Fascists

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Number 6 on August 24, 2005, 03:16:49 PM

you know there fucking better be some blood.....i ,mean a guy cuts his own hand off and they kill a little kid at a satanic resurection

There is no good Monroe and there is no evil.  THere is only flesh, and the patterns to which we submit it.

Beefy

you know there fucking better be some blood.....i ,mean a guy cuts his own hand off and they kill a little kid at a satanic resurection

Number 6, I made a portion of your comment small because it might be a spoiler to those who are only watching the films and haven't read the books.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beefy on August 24, 2005, 03:40:29 PM

Number 6, I made a portion of your comment small because it might be a spoiler to those who are only watching the films and haven't read the books.

Good thinkin, however, if you reply, its full sized text. :P

Alice

Quote from: Marixis on August 24, 2005, 03:44:28 PM

But people know not to hit "quote" then if they don't want to see it.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: AliceLiddell on August 24, 2005, 03:49:22 PM
Quote from: Marixis on August 24, 2005, 03:44:28 PM

But people know not to hit "quote" then if they don't want to see it.

Not entirely true.

Beefy

And yet the text stays small.   :P

Number 6

dazie

Beefy- have you finished reading this damn book yet?

Number 6

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on August 24, 2005, 06:52:19 PM
Beefy- have you finished reading this damn book yet?

I'm still on page 60, the exact page I was on when I last posted about starting it.

dazie

Kristine

Oh man, I'm such a Harry Potter fanatic!

I went to the midnight party for the #6 release and I can NOT wait for the movie!

I loved book 6 and I now need to re-read it 'cause I need to figure stuff out about Snape.  But I won't say anything more about that 'cause I don't know if everyone who wants to read it is finished.

But if anyone starts chatting up book 6, I'm all over that!!
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people..psychopaths and mystery writers." - Castle

dazie

Quote from: KarmicHoax on August 29, 2005, 05:28:33 PM

I'd love to, but we have to wait FOR BEEFY'S SLOW ASS TO GET DONE READING IT.   >:(

But I'm not bitter.

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on August 29, 2005, 05:43:59 PM

I'd love to, but we have to wait FOR BEEFY'S SLOW ASS TO GET DONE READING IT.   >:(

But I'm not bitter.

I'm still on page 60.   ;D

Here's what ya do: create a new Harry Potter thread with the word SPOILERS in the title.  Then you can talk about whatever you like.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on August 29, 2005, 07:01:03 PM

But I'm not bitter.

Here's what ya do: create a new Harry Potter thread with the word SPOILERS in the title.  Then you can talk about whatever you like.

No.  I want to wait until you can discuss it too.

Kristine

Quote from: dazie on August 29, 2005, 08:17:00 PM
Quote from: Beefy on August 29, 2005, 07:01:03 PM

But I'm not bitter.

No.  I want to wait until you can discuss it too.

Yeah, it's much more fun if everyone can discuss it!
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people..psychopaths and mystery writers." - Castle

Beefy

I am on page 150.  I don't know that it has broken that much from the formula at this point, but it certainly is a right bit nastier than the last one.

Infobahn

I am not reading it. Reading is NOT fundimental.

Beefy

Quote from: Infobahn on September 10, 2005, 03:10:09 PM

Fight the power!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Infobahn on September 10, 2005, 03:10:09 PM
You're right - it's fundamental.  ;)

Beefy

Page 200 - moving away from nasty and back towards formula.

ReBurn

You guys and all your silly reading.  I declare!

Gamplayerx

A thumb war?

one, two, three, four!

ReBurn

My thumb is long and my kung-fu is strong!  How do we proceed?

Gamplayerx

That may be, but my thumb is quick and wily.

Um, proceed.  Hmm.  Tough one.  We could ... um, no, that'd never work.  Wait!  We could ... er, no, that's silly, too.

Let's just make me the winner.

ReBurn

Ok.  I good with that.

Gamplayerx

Yay!  I win!

Suck my greatness!

ignom

Gamplayerx

dazie

Gamplayerx

Beefy

Page 303 now.

Can't quite make up my mind.  Liking Harry's sessions with Dumbledore, but the soap opera between Hermione and Ron is wearing thin quickly.  Also, that sense of dread and danger that was so well-established at the beginning seems to have been forgotten.

dazie

Quote from: Beef on September 15, 2005, 06:15:31 PM
Page 303 now.

Can't quite make up my mind.  Liking Harry's sessions with Dumbledore, but the soap opera between Hermione and Ron is wearing thin quickly.  Also, that sense of dread and danger that was so well-established at the beginning seems to have been forgotten.

Yeah- that whole Ron Hermione thing got old.  I was kind of surprised to see it take up as much as it did. 

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on September 15, 2005, 08:49:17 PM
Quote from: Beef on September 15, 2005, 06:15:31 PM
Page 303 now.

Yeah- that whole Ron Hermione thing got old.  I was kind of surprised to see it take up as much as it did. 

they should take note of Chasing Amy and attempt a 3 way.  that way ron can have hermione, harry can have hermione and hermoine can have ron... because of that sexual tension that he harbors because ron wants what harry can easily have but says he doesnt want.

Jessie

I think you're thinking of this:

I don't recall a threesome in Chasing Amy.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2005, 09:06:06 AM
I think you're thinking of this:

no there wasnt one, but there was the talk of needing one.   thats what ron hermione and harry need.  Bring them so much closer.

Alice

He said attempting a 3some.  

And if you don't recall that part, then you missed the whole point of the movie.  :(

Jessie

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 16, 2005, 09:07:45 AM

And if you don't recall that part, then you missed the whole point of the movie.  :(

I recall that part of the movie, I guess i just misunderstood what marxist was sayin'.  Plus, I just like thinking about the movie Threesome.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2005, 09:08:51 AM

I recall that part of the movie, I guess i just misunderstood what marxist was sayin'.  Plus, I just like thinking about the movie Threesome.
I don't blame you.  Josh Charles is teh sexay.  *swoon*

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 16, 2005, 09:12:06 AM

I don't blame you.  Josh Charles is teh sexay.  *swoon*

wasnt he also in sports night?  with sabrina lloyd?

ignom

And if you don't recall that part, then you missed the whole point of the movie.  :(

I don't blame you.  Stephen Baldwin is teh sexay.  *swoon*

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 09:13:40 AM

And if you don't recall that part, then you missed the whole point of the movie.  :(

I don't blame you.  Ignom is teh sexay.  *swoon*

Beefy

I doubt Kevin Smith will ever be able to top Chasing Amy.  It was and remains a wonderful and honest film.

ignom

Quote from: Beef on September 16, 2005, 09:18:51 AM
I doubt Kevin Smith will ever be able to top Chasing Amy.  It was and remains a wonderful and honest film.

It's still not as good as Mallrats.

Alice

Um hello?  Have you not seen Jersey Girl?!?!?   ::)

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 16, 2005, 09:20:33 AM

seen it, but doesnt top chasing amy.   actually anything with duckboy "aflac" gets an instant downgrade in quality.

ignom

Quote from: Marixis on September 16, 2005, 09:22:11 AM

seen it, but doesnt top chasing amy.   actually anything with duckboy "aflac" gets an instant downgrade in quality.

Except Pearl Harbor.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 09:23:33 AM

Except Pearl Harbor.

because it had rockin CGI

Beefy

That's the only Smith film I haven't seen.  I don't feel compelled to do so.

Affleck has never been better than he was in Chasing Amy.

Beefy

Quote from: Marixis on September 16, 2005, 09:25:39 AM
Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 09:23:33 AM

Except Pearl Harbor.

because it had rockin CGI

And Josh Hartnett.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beef on September 16, 2005, 09:26:14 AM

Only Pearl Harbor, where he was supposedly dead.  thats the best moment in film regarding him.  The only good thing about Daredevil was Jennifer Garner.

Alice

It's actually really fucking awful.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 16, 2005, 09:48:17 AM

Im sure Jennifer could tell you, the fucking was aweful..   pregnant doesnt equal good sex.  just means good high speed seed :)

Jessie

It was bad.  Chasing Amy is the best of his movies.  Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was the funniest.

ignom

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2005, 10:10:21 AM

That's the only Smith film I haven't seen.  I don't feel compelled to do so.

It was bad.  Mallrats is the best of his movies.  Mallrats was the funniest.

Jessie

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:11:05 AM

liar liar pants on fire.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2005, 10:11:35 AM
Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:11:05 AM

liar liar pants on fire.

agreed, mall rats wasnt that good.

ignom

It's the only one I like enough to watch. Have you seen the edited-for-TV version?

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:25:39 AM
It's the only one I like enough to watch. Have you seen the edited-for-TV version?

you mean edited to suck more.

ignom

Quote from: Marixis on September 16, 2005, 10:31:29 AM

It's probably the worst editing job ever done on a movie. It's so bad it's funny.

Beefy

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:35:40 AM

It's probably the worst editing job ever done on a movie. It's so bad it's funny.

This is true.

Also, Mallrats has one of the funniest commentary tracks ever.

Alice

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:35:40 AM

I'd have to say that Big Lebowski is worse.

"This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

Beefy

Okay, finally, here my thoughts:

Harry is progressing nicely as a character, as is Malfoy and perhaps Ginny.  Ron and Hermoine are not growing or changing one little bit.

The best part of the book for me was the fleshing out of Voldemort, who desperately needed it.

The story didn't have the thrust of the others.  I was glad that the school year minutae took a back seat this time, but this one didn't seem have the narrative drive of the others (this may be because I already knew what the conclusion was, however).

I like how this one will cross directly over with the next book, as well as how it ties earlier books into a larger scheme.  Smart move.

The big ending: how dumb are we supposed to be?  The whole thing was obviously a set-up.  She even recreates it for us step by step so that next time, when she reveals it was all a big fake-out, we all go scrambling back to this book to figure out the exact moment we were doublecrossed.  She has done this before in previous installments, and so her writing makes her intentions predictable.

The only part of the whole "sad" affair was the song of the phoenix.

The ultimate reveal of the identity of the Half-Blood Prince was not only abrupt, but seemed downright unimportant.  Why was that the name of the book?  Why not Harry Potter and the Seven Horcruxes?  And why would the Half-Blood Prince have left their book out like that in the first place?

I hope Harry knocks Ginny up in the next installment.

sapphirehart

Quote from: Beef on September 26, 2005, 04:03:27 PM

OMG, that made me snort.

dazie

Quote from: Beef on September 26, 2005, 04:03:27 PM
Okay, finally, here my thoughts:

The big ending: how dumb are we supposed to be?  The whole thing was obviously a set-up.  She even recreates it for us step by step so that next time, when she reveals it was all a big fake-out, we all go scrambling back to this book to figure out the exact moment we were doublecrossed.  She has done this before in previous installments, and so her writing makes her intentions predictable.

I agree.  I am interested, however, to see the explanation of said fake out.

The only part of the whole "sad" affair was the song of the phoenix.

I thought the part where Hagrid was carrying the burden was sadder- that's where I really lost it.

The ultimate reveal of the identity of the Half-Blood Prince was not only abrupt, but seemed downright unimportant.  Why was that the name of the book?  Why not Harry Potter and the Seven Horcruxes?  And why would the Half-Blood Prince have left their book out like that in the first place?

EXACTLY.  GOD that annoyed me.  Honestly- what a lame red herring.  It didn't even make a whole lot of sense- I had to go back and re-read a few times in a few places, and I'm still not convinced it was a logical progression.

Nah.  Ron should.  Keep the blood pure and all.

Kristine

Mallrats is my absolute favorite.. but I also have sentimental reasons for it being so...

~~~~

You're right about the title.  Half-Blood Prince wasn't important--yet.  Maybe it will matter in 7.  Plus, he has that whole thing going with Malfoy and the promise.  Maybe something more interesting will occur?

Snape left the book in the potions cabinet, where it's usually locked--but he also knows that in book 1 Harry got into the cabinet, so perhaps Snape left it there intentionally for Harry to find in order to further his "education" of the more dark arts.

Ron did advance a wee bit more... he finally kissed someone.  Harry has changed the most through all the books, but that's to be expected.

For 7 I think Hogwarts will be closed down completely and Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, and Neville will be the new Order of the Phoenix and they will continue Defense Against the Dark Arts over the summer holiday and they will take control of the Order.  They will not return to school, they will take part in the all out war against Voldemort and the Deatheaters.... they will hunt for the horcruxes... one of them, I believe, is at the Order HQ and the house elf has it.  The locket. Anyway, Harry will clue in the scoobie gang there about the horcruxes and they will search and search.  There will be conflict about the old Order and the new Order. 

Perhaps 7's title will be about the horcruxes... anyway, I'm gonna have to read 6 again soon, to remember everything...  I do so love the HP books!!

~~~~

Lastly, has anyone ever read the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde?  The Eyre Affair is the first in the series.  The blurb calls it a cross between Monty Python and Buffy the Vampire Slayer... hehe  I bought the 1st and 2nd books and I'm just now reading The Eyre Affair.

dc

Quote from: KarmicHoax on September 29, 2005, 10:30:02 PM

Lastly, has anyone ever read the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde?  The Eyre Affair is the first in the series.  The blurb calls it a cross between Monty Python and Buffy the Vampire Slayer... hehe  I bought the 1st and 2nd books and I'm just now reading The Eyre Affair.

I've read all of the Thursday Next books.  It has become my favorite series.  His sense of humor and literary jokes is fantastic.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dc on September 30, 2005, 05:44:25 AM

I've read all of the Thursday Next books.  It has become my favorite series.  His sense of humor and literary jokes is fantastic.
That sounds interesting.  Are these adult books?

Kristine

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 01, 2005, 07:22:52 AM
Quote from: dc on September 30, 2005, 05:44:25 AM

That sounds interesting.  Are these adult books?

I think so.. the lead character is 36 and talks a bit about her ex-boyfriend... and so far there's another character named Jack Schitt.  So I think it's skewed towards adults.  Wait, I know it is, 'cause I read an article that said he also writes childrens books... like a kid detective that has to solve the murder of Humpty Dumpty--was he pushed, or did he fall?? 

I think it's really great that the author references all sorts of poets and novelists and the entire town has 100's of John Miltons and Percy Shelleys and basically the stories involve jumping into and out of situations that involve fictional characters inside of books... while Thursday Next solves crimes.

So far, pretty cheeky!

Gamplayerx

I think I'll give them a try.  I've almost run out of Stephanie Plum novels, so I need a new fun series to take their place.

alexanderthesoso

no, its not a set up.  hes really dead.  im sorry, but what did dumbledore always say?  he trusts snape implicitly.  sorry, teh only time you trust someone that much is when you trust them to double cross you.  dumbledore was getting old, knew his time was coming. 

half blood prince, yeah, that felt rushed. 

meredith

hahahah

Man I was hoping for something more amusing from the URL.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 02, 2005, 04:59:36 PM
I think I'll give them a try.  I've almost run out of Stephanie Plum novels, so I need a new fun series to take their place.
I'm halfway through the second Thursday Next book.  I'm really enjoying them.  They don't make me literally laugh out loud like Stephanie Plum, but they're fun and clever.  And punny.

nishi

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 24, 2005, 04:03:48 PM
I'm halfway through the second Thursday Next book.  I'm really enjoying them.  They don't make me literally laugh out loud like Stephanie Plum, but they're fun and clever.  And punny.

i love that she has a pet dodo. that alone made me love the books!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice

Quote from: nishi on October 24, 2005, 09:32:16 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 24, 2005, 04:03:48 PM

i love that she has a pet dodo. that alone made me love the books!
I have a pet dildo.  Do you love me?

Gamplayerx

Now... that I ... can dance.  Watch me now!

The dodo's fun.  Plock!

Gamplayerx

The camera sure caught her in a flattering facial expression.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beefy on December 28, 2005, 01:10:52 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051228/wl_uk_afp/afpentertainmentbritain_051228161408

a quote from the article   "It will all be over at last and I can't quite imagine life without Harry," she said."

What she forgets is that she wouldnt have the life she currently has if it wasnt for harry, so its safe to say she will never have life without harry.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

Quote from: DownSouth on December 28, 2005, 01:55:23 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091400/

I've seen that.  It's the only other film that I know of that the dude who played Jake in Sixteen Candles was in.  Plus, it has an Eagle in it!

/crap

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on December 28, 2005, 02:00:59 PM

I've seen that.  It's the only other film that I know of that the dude who played Jake in Sixteen Candles was in.  Plus, it has an Eagle in it!

/crap

He was in Mermaids too - the groundskeeper of the convent.  At least I think that was his job.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on December 28, 2005, 02:00:59 PM

/crap

I love him.