News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by dazie, January 01, 2009, 09:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDun

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 04, 2009, 07:46:05 PM
I am reading some really silly book called "Undead and Unwed" that I got from the ship's library.  It seems to be about a blond former model turned vampire queen who really loves designer shoes. 

That book is the first in a series. I've listened to the first 3 or 4 of them. They are mindless fun.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on January 05, 2009, 12:26:39 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 04, 2009, 07:46:05 PM
I am reading some really silly book called "Undead and Unwed" that I got from the ship's library.  It seems to be about a blond former model turned vampire queen who really loves designer shoes. 

That book is the first in a series. I've listened to the first 3 or 4 of them. They are mindless fun.
Good to know.  :D

dazie

To Kill a Mockingbird.

Much much better than I remember it being when I had to read it in high school.  I wrote a paper on it, comparing it to SE Hinton's The Outsiders.  Wish I still had it to see what kind of BS I spouted.  :)
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

I've been on the verge of starting Little Brother for a while now.

grace

architectural salvage sites & blogs

VikingJuice

the label on my underwear.  Next to size it says "DAMN!!"

pumpkineye

the most frustrating pattern in the history of my knitting life.  I have probably looked at this piece of paper and re-read it over and over in the time it took you all to finish your books.

dazie

Have you tried writing it out yourself?  I found that if I was working on something that was like "K2 P4 KO repeat til end" or whatever, it helped to get some lined paper and write out every single line of knitting, especially if there was a repeat.  Then, when you finish each row of knitting, cross off the corresponding line on the paper.

pumpkineye

its the chart of the design that is killing me.  The number of stitches in the design, the size of the squares, the colors I picked.... all a bad combo it seems.

dazie

I hate following charts, so I feel your pain.  I tried some illusion knitting a while back and finally just gave up. 

Alice

I like the colors.

I'm jealous, I wish I had the patience for knitting.

pumpkineye

Quote from: Alice on January 27, 2009, 01:25:24 PM
I like the colors.

I'm jealous, I wish I had the patience for knitting.
it does kind of take over.

dc

Everybody go read some John Updike....

Only because he passed away today.  I wouldn't recommend him for any other reason.

Beefy

Quote from: dc on January 27, 2009, 07:34:53 PM
Everybody go read some John Updike....

Only because he passed away today.  I wouldn't recommend him for any other reason.

I've thought about reading The Witches of Eastwick a few times.

dazie

"Love in the Time of Cholera"

Not bad, but kind of difficult to pay attention to.  The author tends toward short transitions between story lines, and sometimes I have a hard time following what's going on.

Not bad though- I'm curious to see how it all pans out.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Time-Cholera-Vintage-International/dp/0307387143/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238088192&sr=8-1

Jessie

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

meredith

Quote from: dazie on March 26, 2009, 12:24:01 PM
"Love in the Time of Cholera"

Not bad, but kind of difficult to pay attention to.  The author tends toward short transitions between story lines, and sometimes I have a hard time following what's going on.

Not bad though- I'm curious to see how it all pans out.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Time-Cholera-Vintage-International/dp/0307387143/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238088192&sr=8-1

QUITE THE GUT-WRENCHING READ
THE BOOK LEFT ME FLUSHED
IT RISES ABOVE THE USUAL CRAP

sorry

Beefy

I got the new issues of Wired, Video Watchdog, and Rolling Stone.

Gamplayerx

I'm not reading anything.  I've read everything I have here.  I need a book.

dots

You're an asshole and I hate you.

Jessie

Quote from: Jessie on March 26, 2009, 12:53:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Dress-Codes-Girlhoods-My-Mothers-Fathers/dp/B000HWYXCM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238089963&sr=8-1

Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods---My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine
I picked this up at the flea market so I'd have something to read while eating lunch alone.  Turned out to be a pretty good book.

dazie

It looks interesting. 

I'm still slogging through Love...Cholera, but now I'm also reading "Michael Tolliver Lives" and "Baghdad Without a Map" which are both much better.

Gamplayerx

I went to the library. Now I'm reading some quality trash and am totally content:  Plum Spooky