News:

I'm just saying it's hypocritical to write "The Last DJ" and then do a Pepsi Budweiser Sobe Depends Claritin Prozac GoDaddy StateFarm Coca-Cola Coors Vitamin Water Attends Allegra Xanax 1-800-Safe-auto RC Cola Miller Gatorade Huggies Robotussin Morphine Halftime Show.

Main Menu

Science minded folks needed

Started by VikingJuice, November 27, 2008, 12:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

There is a commercial on TV recently, I have no idea what product it is for, that shows a small wind mill type apparatus under a small glass dome.  The whole setup is only about 5 inches tall and maybe 3 inches in diameter.  It is powered by a scientific effect produced by shining light on 4 flat patches mounted equally apart from one another that are black on one side and white on the other.  The light reflects on the white panel causing it to rotate as a simple machine but instead of turning like a windmill facing forward, it is like a windmill facing upward.

What is the machine called and what is the effect named? I thought it was the Karkovsky effect but I can find no such concept.  Instead, I find something called a Yarkovsky effect but am not sure if this is the right thing because I'm not finding any pictures of this simple machine.

Can anyone help?  Catchr, you're a science dude, did any of this drift across your educational background?

BigDun

It's called a Radiometer. I had dozens of those as a kid. They were fun to watch in the afternoon sunlight. They are also called a Crookes Radiometer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

eo000

long haired freaky people need not apply.

VikingJuice

Quote from: eo000 on November 27, 2008, 01:32:23 AM

That was the first song of their's I liked, now I hate that song and love many others.  Edison's Medicine is really cool.

VikingJuice

Quote from: BigDun on November 27, 2008, 12:19:44 AM
It's called a Radiometer. I had dozens of those as a kid. They were fun to watch in the afternoon sunlight. They are also called a Crookes Radiometer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

Thank you.  That's exactly what I was trying to find.

Beefy

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 27, 2008, 02:40:12 AM

That was the first song of their's I liked, now I hate that song and love many others.  Edison's Medicine is really cool.

Tesla was actually just doing a cover.  The song is from 1971, I learned later.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on November 27, 2008, 12:50:40 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on November 27, 2008, 02:40:12 AM

Tesla was actually just doing a cover.  The song is from 1971, I learned later.

I know.  The original is much less annoying than the Tesla cover.  My dad of all people let me in on the original's existence when he heard me listening to the updated version back in school.

Dry then Catch

hey i just got here what i miss.

i don't knwo anything, im a technical bureaucrat