News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

Car Navigation Systems

Started by Jessie, November 13, 2008, 09:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

I'm thinking about buying Carroll a cheap ($100ish) navigation system for his car.  He is terrible with directions, and this is one of the few things he's expressed interest in without going and buying it for himself.  That's the hard thing about buying gifts for single guys with disposable income...

Anyway, any suggestions or definitely avoids?

If founds some Tom Toms refurbed for $90 or new for $135, but I assume they're an older model.

Help!

The only other thing he's said he wants is a really good universal remote, but that seems like the lamest gift idea ever.

Guys, help me. 
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on November 13, 2008, 09:36:23 PM
I'm thinking about buying Carroll a cheap ($100ish) navigation system for his car.  He is terrible with directions, and this is one of the few things he's expressed interest in without going and buying it for himself.  That's the hard thing about buying gifts for single guys with disposable income...

If founds some Tom Toms refurbed for $90 or new for $135, but I assume they're an older model.

Help!

The only other thing he's said he wants is a really good universal remote, but that seems like the lamest gift idea ever.

Guys, help me. 

Moderately sleezy lingerie is always a great gift for you both-you get to look hot and he gets to watch you look hot.  Stimulates the voyeur in all men.

Jessie

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 13, 2008, 09:38:07 PM

Help!

Guys, help me. 

Moderately sleezy lingerie is always a great gift for you both-you get to look hot and he gets to watch you look hot.  Stimulates the voyeur in all men.
If we'd ever met in person, you'd probably realize that I have nowhere near the self confidence needed to pull that off.  I don't do seductive.

Infobahn

Geeze, the get the guy what he wants!  I had a Universal Remote on my list for two years, and just last month went out to buy it for myself.

Tom Toms a re fine, and GPSs can be updated, but not without a cost.  You should check to see how updated the maps are or can be without charge, or you might be buying something for him he has to pay $60 to get updated.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on November 13, 2008, 09:39:36 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on November 13, 2008, 09:38:07 PM

Help!

Guys, help me. 

If we'd ever met in person, you'd probably realize that I have nowhere near the self confidence needed to pull that off.  I don't do seductive.

Sometimes, the outfit provides the confidence, until then, you just have to jump off the cliff.

Jessie

So, the universal remote is the way to go (instead of or along with lingerie - which would make an awkward christmas morning for Timothy, btw)?

I don't THINK he ever bought one, and I don't know how to find out for sure without him knowing why I'm asking.

How do I know what's a good remote, and I know they're CALLED universal, but will I need to know the brands of all his components?

Infobahn

I have the Logitech Harmony One ($180) and there are others from Logitech from $80 on up.

The nice thing is about them is you install software on your computer, collect the information (model #s) from the components and enter them in and then connect the unit via cable to the computer and then it programs it to work with everything.

I have one button that I push and it starts the TV, Receiver, and DirecTV box.  I can even operate a Wii, Xbox, PS3, Media Computer, and with the right components, turn the lights, fireplace, or anything else that runs on a plug.

Beefy

Jessie

Ok, now to figure out WHICH remote.  Amazon has a lot of them.  I'm gonna find some, and then let you all fight over which one I should get.

Oh.  I bought Timothy an electric guitar today.

Jessie

Jessie

And you guys really think a remote control is a good Christmas gift?  That's so weird.

BigDun

My wife got me an older version of this one a few years ago: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RM-AX4000A-Theater-Remote-Control/dp/B000M7UQSM/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226634312&sr=8-2.

It was pretty amazing. You could create your own look and feel buttons on the LCD (I made mine look like Start Trek TNG control panel). It supports macros that allow you to turn on multiple components with a single button.

You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere on the internet.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

BigDun

Quote from: Jessie on November 13, 2008, 10:51:06 PM
And you guys really think a remote control is a good Christmas gift?  That's so weird.

My wife got me the above remote control as a present (I think it may have been a birthday gift).
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Dry then Catch

If you get a GPS don't get a TomTom.  They are hip because you can customize voices, but none except the $600 models have TEXT to TALK.  I used to have a TomTom One and it wasn't real helpful if it said "turn right in 300 yards".  I prefer "turn right on first street NOW"

When looking for a GPS make sure it has a 1)  relatively recent mapset  2)  TEXT TO TALK.  3)  and a distant 3rd points of interest/directory etc. 

Everything else is just bells and whistles. 

A lot of heavily discounted GPSs are fine except they have old 2005-2006 era mapsets.

One the other hand I would never pay $75 for a remote. 

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 14, 2008, 01:10:15 AM
If you get a GPS don't get a TomTom.  They are hip because you can customize voices, but none except the $600 models have TEXT to TALK.  I used to have a TomTom One and it wasn't real helpful if it said "turn right in 300 yards".  I prefer "turn right on first street NOW"

When looking for a GPS make sure it has a 1)  relatively recent mapset  2)  TEXT TO TALK.  3)  and a distant 3rd points of interest/directory etc. 

Everything else is just bells and whistles. 

A lot of heavily discounted GPSs are fine except they have old 2005-2006 era mapsets.

One the other hand I would never pay $75 for a remote. 
I would never pay more than $10 for a remote for myself.

Gamplayerx

I got Grumpus a Garmin GPS a couple of years ago.  He loves it.  You can go online and update the maps.  I have no idea how much they cost now.  The one I got him is more a PDA with a GPS than the big boxy GPS things, but the screen is fairly large and easy to see.

I also got him a universal remote one year, but we could never get it to work everything.  But it wasn't the kind you hooked up to your computer.  I so want one of those.

Infobahn

The first Garmin update is supposed to be free.  My second one was $69

pumpkineye

I'm all about the TomTom because of the voices.  Mr T pitys the fool who don't take the next right.  It's awesome.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: pumpkineye on November 14, 2008, 12:19:20 PM
I'm all about the TomTom because of the voices.  Mr T pitys the fool who don't take the next right.  It's awesome.

yes but Mr.T isn't going to read street names for you, just tell you to turn in 400 yards or whatever.

I prefer my GPS to have robot woman voice to mispronouncing Spanish street names thank you.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on November 13, 2008, 10:51:06 PM

Definitely a good gift.  Any kind of electronic widget is a good guy gift.  It sort of says, "I love you enough to let you watch more TV."  What man wouldn't want to hear those words?

Gamplayerx

There's one on the woot-off right now.

Cobra NAV ONE 5000 Portable GPS with 5" Touchscreen, Text to Speech and Bluetooth
$159.99

Jessie

eo000

Jessie

Oh my god your avatar is terrifying.

eo000

look who's talking. at least mine was only vice president.