News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

Asimov

Started by VikingJuice, October 30, 2008, 09:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

Okay, so in the last 2 months I've read the Isaac Asimov biography, Prelude to Foundation and now am over half way through Foundation.  The last two are part of a series referred to as the Foundation series.  They were written at various stages over 40+ years and not written in sequence.  I'm reading them in sequence though and they are VERY good so far.

Asimov was a very clever man.  He loads his stories with all sorts of allegories about real life, politics, sociology and so on.  His biographer said that he didn't do these things but it seems very obvious to me what his messages are.  I have a hard time thinking that these allegories weren't intentional. 

Also, his stories are constantly propelled forward with action.  He's a little weak in the character development department for the most part but with the pacing and action, you hardly even notice.

http://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Asimovs-Foundation-Series/dp/B000CNHGVG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225418656&sr=8-3

VikingJuice

Also...

For a guy beginning his series in the 1940s, he is very insightful for his time.  He practically calls one of his character's tools a 'personal digital assistant'.  He's also spent a lot of time talking about a 'holo-reader' that loads books and whole libraries onto a flat screen for viewing and reading.  A lot like this...

[attachment deleted by admin]