News:

BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

I heart huckabees

Started by Gamplayerx, September 18, 2005, 04:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamplayerx

I just watched this film.  Now will somebody please explain it to me?

Beefy

A bunch of zany people with different and zany ways of experiencing their lives run around and do zany stuff.

Gamplayerx

Beefy

Honestly, it depends on how much you want to read into it.  It can be a simplistic as I just wrote out, giving the film's pretensions.  Or you can truly examine the more existential questions the film is trying to deal with about how we interact with our lives.  I thought it was a funny film but I choose not to give it a lot of weight beyond that.

Beefy

Quote...they gladly risk foolishness to plunge into the muck of human existence. The film is loud, messy, aggressively in your face and generally played for the back row in the theater, and it doesn't offer up solutions, tender any comfort or rejoice in the triumph of the human spirit. All we can do, says Mr. Russell, is keep pushing the rock back uphill.  Clicky
[/url]

Gamplayerx

That page is no longer available.

It was weird.  Strange and funny, but also weird.

Also, I can't decide if Jason Schwartzman odd looking or not.

Dry then Catch

The epitome of the movie:  for all their New Age pseduo intellectualism, some half wit college schmo is doing some professor in the ass in the mud.  Its truly a piece of post-Dadist absurdism mixed in with the general ennui and faceitious world view of our generation.  Nonetheless, its not quite nihilistic, at the end despite all the characters flaws everyone seems reasonably happy and well off. 

Dry then Catch

also i thought it was great that by Jason Schwartzman and the french teacher having sex they are literally "fucking over"  Mark Wahlberg's character.   

Gamplayerx

I just kept cringing at the thought of how much mud they must've gotten in their mouths.

vampirepenguin

I watched and I was all.."I missed something" I need to see it again...possibly after I read up on the various philosophies mentioned in the film..
full of mulatto goodness since 1979!

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on September 18, 2005, 08:29:36 PM
Also, I can't decide if Jason Schwartzman odd looking or not.
Yes, he is odd looking.

sugar_grrl

Quote from: vampirepenguin on September 19, 2005, 02:15:19 AM
I watched and I was all.."I missed something" I need to see it again...possibly after I read up on the various philosophies mentioned in the film..
Agreed.  Normally I don't have the urge to go do philosophical research after watching a movie, but that urge surfaced after I heart huckabees (I surpressed it though...had to take some pepto later...)
Have you ever seen a llama kiss a llama on the llama?