Started by nishi, August 07, 2008, 08:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

True.

Although I thought this thread was going to be about Dirty Dancing.

Nobody puts Baby in the corner!

nishi

fuck a bunch of dirty dancing. tim curry in drag is roughly 9 banillion times hotter than patrick swayze could ever dream of being.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: nishi on August 07, 2008, 08:50:13 PM
fuck a bunch of dirty dancing. tim curry in drag is roughly 9 banillion times hotter than patrick swayze could ever dream of being.
Potty mouth!

I do love me some Rocky Horror.  When I was in high school, there was a theater in Georgetown that showed Rocky Horror every night at midnight.  Me and my friends all convinced our parents we were huge Rocky Horror groupies to get our curfews pushed back to 3 am to accommodate.

But we did go see Rocky Horror every once in a while.

nishi

more men should wear heels and fishnets.

but by no means all of them.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

BigDun

I've lost count of how many times I've been to seen RHPS.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

Oh, I totally agree.  For example, I'm thinking Will Ferrell would not be enhanced by fishnets and heels.

I have the "deluxe" DVD of Rocky Horror - it's funny.  It has separate tracks, like you can pick to have the one where there's audience participation.

nishi

yeah, i was talking to a friend about tim curry, and i realized that, while i've probably seen RFPS about 20 times, i haven't seen it in.... maybe 15 years.

so i youtubed it. and it is, of course, there in its entirety.

and i had to watch the whole thing because tim curry is so awesome in his awesomeness.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 07, 2008, 09:21:36 PM
Oh, I totally agree.  For example, I'm thinking Will Ferrell would not be enhanced by fishnets and heels.

no.** although it's surprising what they do for barry bostwick. and he totally works them. i had to watch the floor show about 6 times because when they get to the fast, kickline part at the end? he's all over that.

** as far as i am concerned, will ferrell would only be enhanced by being invisible.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: nishi on August 07, 2008, 09:24:44 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 07, 2008, 09:21:36 PM
Oh, I totally agree.  For example, I'm thinking Will Ferrell would not be enhanced by fishnets and heels.

no.** although it's surprising what they do for barry bostwick. and he totally works them. i had to watch the floor show about 6 times because when they get to the fast, kickline part at the end? he's all over that.

** as far as i am concerned, will ferrell would only be enhanced by being invisible.
Barry Bostwick also totally rocked the blue eyeshadow. 

nishi

rose tints my world/kickline portion of the floor show starts at about 8:15.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Kchl8UflwKg&hl

rocky's work in the heels - not so great.

-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dazie

I went to see RHPS a few years ago with Kittenwithawhip (she's a member here, but never posts)

It was at the Hilton in Reno (former the MGM Grande, now something equally as horrendous) and she was late.  So there I was, decked out as Magenta in my maid's costume and big hair.  Unfortunately the only maid's costume I could find on short notice was a French Maid's costume from one of the adult stores in town.  So it wasn't quite Magenta-y, but I thought it got the point across.  I believe I may have had a doily bobby pinned in my hair too.

Anyway- full maid's get up, ruffles and short skirt and all.  Waiting patiently for KWaW to show up.  I got perused by several of the security guards, but not hassled.

Then she arrived, dressed as Columbia.  Hot pants, bright red hair, top hat, bow tie.  Added a fur jacket to the ensemble because it was late.

We were early for the show, so we went upstairs to the gaming floor to lose some money.  That's when the security guards got REALLY antsy and followed us verrry carefully, making sure we were there to lose money, not make it. 

When we realized what was going on, we hightailed it back downstairs to the movie theater, where, by that point, a herd of Rocky Horror freakies had gathered.  Once the security guys saw what was going on, they left us alone.

Lubs me some Tim Curry.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

VikingJuice

I've gone, I've seen people dressed up, I've seen them participate...I just don't get it.  I never did.  It's mildly amusing to me and that's it.  I always feel like I've missed some great punchline or something because everyone else seems to just love this film.

BigDun

The film started as a play and the campieness of it caused the audience to participate. That participation was carried into the film release and it became a group gestalt thing.

I used to own an audio cassette of the film done in a very popular NY theater. They had some of the most well rehearsed and timed responses to the film I've ever heard. I used that soundtrack for my own audience participation. It was great to use a line in a theater where no one had heard it before and hear the audience laugh at the appropriateness (or inappropriateness) of the response.

This was one of the few productions that truly broke through the fourth wall for the masses.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

nishi

for all those reasons, it was, for most intents and purposes, the first film to evolve into the "midnight show" format, where people want to see the show with a like-minded crowd, at a kind of odd time, with a different purpose than simply watching a film.

not to get too over the analytical top, but watching it again, i also wonder at the impact that tim curry's character had on the formation of millions of teenagers' ideas about sexuality. i mean - he's incredibly charming, funny and, at least to the vast population of middle america's thinking, oddly attractive. and he's very adamantly bisexual with apparent preferences towards men (he did create rocky after all, instead of a beautiful woman). i guess i wonder if growing up liking dr. frankenfurter made generation x and those that followed more tolerant of gay men (which is the part of bisexuality that our culture obviously has had a little more trouble with). i mean - can you love the rocky horror picture show and still be really homophobic? i know that, for me, seeing it at 16 in 1977 in louisville, kentucky, was pretty freaking eye-opening. and i loved him immediately, even though he was so far beyond anything i had ever imagined.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

i started thinking about all this at an academic conference last week in ashland, oregon, where i saw an excellent production of "midsummer night's dream" at the oregon shakespeare festival, and puck and all the fairies were costumed and generally patterned on a kind of late 70s glam rock look, but there was something very familiar about the quality of the actor playing puck's movement work and i have this sneaking suspicion that he, in a couple of small ways, modeled puck's physical existence on tim curry's frankenfurter.

it totally worked for the production, but it struck me as funny, there in the middle of ashland, oregon, watching a fairly wealthy, really mainstream (if artsy) group of people, generally between 35 and 70 years old, going apeshit over a puck wearing fishnets, stacked heels and a black tutu.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

Quote from: BigDun on August 08, 2008, 12:37:11 AM
I used to own an audio cassette of the film done in a very popular NY theater. They had some of the most well rehearsed and timed responses to the film I've ever heard. I used that soundtrack for my own audience participation. It was great to use a line in a theater where no one had heard it before and hear the audience laugh at the appropriateness (or inappropriateness) of the response.

i love this!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

meredith

Quote from: nishi on August 08, 2008, 06:52:25 AM
not to get too over the analytical top, but watching it again, i also wonder at the impact that tim curry's character had on the formation of millions of teenagers' ideas about sexuality. i mean - he's incredibly charming, funny and, at least to the vast population of middle america's thinking, oddly attractive. and he's very adamantly bisexual with apparent preferences towards men (he did create rocky after all, instead of a beautiful woman). i guess i wonder if growing up liking dr. frankenfurter made generation x and those that followed more tolerant of gay men (which is the part of bisexuality that our culture obviously has had a little more trouble with). i mean - can you love the rocky horror picture show and still be really homophobic? i know that, for me, seeing it at 16 in 1977 in louisville, kentucky, was pretty freaking eye-opening. and i loved him immediately, even though he was so far beyond anything i had ever imagined.

i've got no doubt all the exposure to that show helped normalize a lot of those ideas in my mind, along with being a part of the crowd who goes to see it.  well, that and the internet - It Makes You Numb To Everything!(tm)   and other than tolerance, that all made it easier to find my own sexuality.

though i have to give some credit to mom, who always seemed like she'd be just as thrilled if i came home with a cute boy one day. ;D

dazie

meredith

You know what kind of ideas moms get involving their sons, eh?    :angel:

dazie

Quote from: hatt on August 08, 2008, 01:16:07 PM
You know what kind of ideas moms get involving their sons, eh?    :angel:

*lol*  eew.

nishi

Quote from: Beefy on August 08, 2008, 10:03:43 AM
You know they're remaking it, eh?

yeah. *that's* going to be a piece of cinematic genius.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

Quote from: nishi on August 08, 2008, 04:12:22 PM

They can get Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens to play Brad and Janet.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on August 08, 2008, 04:52:51 PM
Quote from: nishi on August 08, 2008, 04:12:22 PM

They can get Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens to play Brad and Janet.

And digitally resurrect Chris Farley to play Rocky.