News:

9/8/05: 6 months, 75,000 posts! Thanks to Nishi for the post!

Main Menu

Hostel

Started by Number 6, May 28, 2005, 02:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number 6

http://www2.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20302

i have to say that i really enjoyed 'Cabin Fever'...but if Roth can actually pull off a theatrical release....and make a good japanese style shock film....i'll be amazed

Beefy

Quote from: Number 6 on May 28, 2005, 02:56:52 PM
http://www2.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20302

i have to say that i really enjoyed 'Cabin Fever'...but if Roth can actually pull off a theatrical release....and make a good japanese style shock film....i'll be amazed

Isn't that film supposed to be the return to American 'body horror'?  If so, I'm there.

/get back to it, Cronenberg

Number 6

i was givin the imprtession that it was more of an ode to 'Audition'....but i must admit i've seen quite a few stills....and there is a very good chance of large amounts of body horror

and i agree....although i do like Cronenburg's approach at 'mature' film makeing (i just watch the trailer for "A History of Violence")....i would very much like to see him whip out some good disturbing bio-mechanical shock

eo000

i couldn't agree more.

Gamplayerx

I couldn't read this thread.  Seizure Corey has me under his spell.  AND NEVER SURRENDER!!

Beefy

Quote from: Beefy on May 28, 2005, 03:16:02 PM
Also, while looking that up, I just stumbled across this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002VEUIK/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/102-1354519-4879320?v=glance&s=dvd

I totally found this at Fry's tonight.  It's spaghetti and vengeance night at Casa Del Beef.

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ReBurn

Quote from: Beef on May 28, 2005, 07:43:12 PM
Quote from: Beefy on May 28, 2005, 03:16:02 PM
Also, while looking that up, I just stumbled across this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002VEUIK/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/102-1354519-4879320?v=glance&s=dvd

I totally found this at Fry's tonight.  It's spaghetti and vengeance night at Casa Del Beef.
Had I read this in May I would have been just as jealous as I am right now.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bishamonten

Roth is wearing a "gozu" shirt.  If you haven't seen "Gozu" go rent it right now. 

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on October 27, 2005, 10:40:03 AM
Roth is wearing a "gozu" shirt.  If you haven't seen "Gozu" go rent it right now. 

Miike cameos in the film.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on October 27, 2005, 10:41:53 AM

Miike cameos in the film.

Yea, I saw.  To a degree, it seems like its going to be a pale comparison.

nishi

is that anything like your teh ghey shirt? because that is just cute as a bug.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: nishi on October 27, 2005, 08:19:16 PM

is that anything like your teh ghey shirt? because that is just cute as a bug.
It certainly is!  How have we managed to not discuss how cute Bish is lately? 
We need to rectify that.  Stat.

I've always wanted to say "stat" - the opportunity so rarely presents itself in my day to day life.

Jessie

Gamp, say stat, stat!  Also, make my neighbors turn down their tv, stat.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

nishi

we have been amiss.

COMMENCE DISCUSSION OF BISH'S ASTOUNDING CUTENESS, STAT!!!!

POST PHOTOS ASAP!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Jessie, consider it done.  Stat!

Nishi, consider it done.  Stat!

Except that I don't want to post cutesy wootsey Bishy Squishy pictures without his sayso.  Plus, mine are all old.  We need NEW Bishy Squishy cutesy wootsey.  STAT!

Jessie

Hemostat.  Statistician.  Statistics. 

Damn, those are the only words with stat in them that I can think of.

I wanted to say stratosphere, but that doesnt work.  Fantastic is close, but not right either. 

Gamplayerx

Anyone notice how adorably cute Bish is?

Jessie, why are you trying to find words with stat in them?  Writing a limerick?

nishi

you know what i was thinking the other day? "who is the most adorably cute person ever in the history of the world? bish" that's what i was thinking.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 27, 2005, 08:42:13 PM

Jessie, why are you trying to find words with stat in them?  Writing a limerick?

I was trying to find ways for you to sneak stat into conversation. 

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on October 27, 2005, 08:46:04 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 27, 2005, 08:42:13 PM

I was trying to find ways for you to sneak stat into conversation. 
Awww. That's so sweet of you!  I can use hemostat a lot.  The math stuff not as much, but I'll work on it.  Thank you for thinking of me despite all the cute Bish banter floating around.

Nishi, I find myself doing that ALL the time!  Such a cutie, that one.  Too bad about his chicken legs, but the nipples!  Woo!

nishi

don't forget the dimples.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Oh, yes.  The dimples are fanstatstic (I snuck stat in there, did you see it, jessie?)!

Bishamonten

Okay Okay, taking pictures right now!

Bishamonten

ReBurn

ignom

Hey Serpico, get a haircut.

Bishamonten

Quote from: ignom on October 27, 2005, 10:40:24 PM

No matter how hard I try, I'll never be pretty enough for you!

ignom

Quote from: Bishamonten on October 28, 2005, 08:37:12 AM

If you're going to go for that look, at least dye it black.

Bishamonten

Quote from: ignom on October 28, 2005, 08:39:50 AM
Quote from: Bishamonten on October 28, 2005, 08:37:12 AM

If you're going to go for that look, at least dye it black.

Pale white dudes and black hair don't go together well.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on October 28, 2005, 08:41:09 AM

SOMEONE WAS GOING TO DO IT

Bishamonten

Quote from: Dorff on October 28, 2005, 08:48:52 AM
Quote from: Bishamonten on October 28, 2005, 08:41:09 AM

SOMEONE WAS GOING TO DO IT

I said "dude"

ReBurn

I think that it is funny that his glasses are crooked.  As much money as he paid for that nose it can't even keep his glasses straight.

Either that or one of his ears is slding off the side of his head.

nishi

bish: cuter than ever!

although falstaff is doing a much better job of milkbone balancing than you are.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bishamonten

Quote from: nishi on October 28, 2005, 10:13:16 AM

although falstaff is doing a much better job of milkbone balancing than you are.

Of course he is!  Look at that big broad nose of his!  I have a tiny sharp nose!

nishi

Quote from: Bishamonten on October 28, 2005, 10:17:17 AM

Of course he is!  Look at that big broad nose of his!  I have a tiny sharp nose!

he's got better concentration than you do.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bishamonten

Quote from: nishi on October 28, 2005, 10:20:27 AM
Quote from: Bishamonten on October 28, 2005, 10:17:17 AM

he's got better concentration than you do.

Well he is smarter than I am.

Gamplayerx

nishi

i know. it's kind of an inexhaustible topic, The Endless Cuteness of Bish.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bishamonten

Quote from: nishi on October 28, 2005, 10:33:52 AM
i know. it's kind of an inexhaustible topic, The Endless Cuteness of Bish.

It's because I'm an incorrigible attention whore.

ignom

I can be just as cute as Bish, it's just that I lost my digital camera.

ReBurn

I have my digital camera, but there's no way I could be that cute.  I trimmed my beard this morning.

Alice

That dog bone picture is adorable.

Beefy

Gamplayerx

Um.  Beefy, those aren't Bish.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 10, 2005, 08:55:47 PM
Um.  Beefy, those aren't Bish.
*giggles*  I was just thinking the same thing.

Number 6

January 6th.....i can't wait

Gamplayerx

Citizens demand more Bishness!

Beefy

Citizens demand Friday get here!

Jessie

Citizens demand a million dollars.

I sure hope this works.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on January 01, 2006, 09:40:03 PM

I sure hope this works.
But once you divide it up, you're probably better off getting a ride and going to work.

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 01, 2006, 09:45:10 PM
Quote from: Jessie on January 01, 2006, 09:40:03 PM

I sure hope this works.
But once you divide it up, you're probably better off getting a ride and going to work.
Good point.

Jessie

I just saw a commercial for this.  I have the feeling it would make me squirm more than Resevoir dogs, and that's a lot.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on January 02, 2006, 11:49:00 PM
I just saw a commercial for this.  I have the feeling it would make me squirm more than Resevoir dogs, and that's a lot.

This movie makes the torture scene in Reservoir Dogs look like an episode of Sesame Street.

The Miike cameo was at roughly the one hour mark.  It was the last thing I saw, for I walked out of the theater, unwilling to sit through the rest of the torture.

Granted, my anxiety levels are percolating today, so I'm not all that surprised.  But still, this was the first film I have ever willingly walked out of before it was finished.  I could barely stand to sit through the first torture scene, and knowing that what lied ahead was supposed to be even worse, I chose to leave.

I'll give it another shot next weekend.

After all these months of anticipation... walking around work this week repeating "Hostel" under my breath... I was the puss who walked out.  *sigh*

cnamon

I heard it was pretty hardcore.  I think if I am OK tomorrow afternoon, I will check it out.

Jessie

I'm taking Timothy to see it later tonight.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on January 07, 2006, 04:23:07 PM
I'm taking Timothy to see it later tonight.

He'll dig all of the Euroboobs.  There's plenty on display.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on January 07, 2006, 03:57:51 PM

This movie makes the torture scene in Reservoir Dogs look like an episode of Sesame Street.

The Miike cameo was at roughly the one hour mark.  It was the last thing I saw, for I walked out of the theater, unwilling to sit through the rest of the torture.

Granted, my anxiety levels are percolating today, so I'm not all that surprised.  But still, this was the first film I have ever willingly walked out of before it was finished.  I could barely stand to sit through the first torture scene, and knowing that what lied ahead was supposed to be even worse, I chose to leave.

After all these months of anticipation... walking around work this week repeating "Hostel" under my breath... I was the puss who walked out.  *sigh*

"I just don't understand people who would walk out on a movie." -- Takashi Miike

Way to be -that- guy, man...

Mr. Ubiquity

beef, in your honor, i will go see the movie all the way through for you.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

swolt

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on January 07, 2006, 10:28:28 PM

beef, in your honor, i will go see the movie all the way through for you.

as will I.

Junto needs to sell braclets that say "I saw hostel for beef". I'd buy one.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Infobahn

swolt

Infobahn

meredith

this was a special movie.  there was no point...  a pure schadenfreude movie.  it made me a little uneasy.  if you get a chubby from gore or boobies, go see it, otherwise don't waste your time.  i saw some people squirming in the theater -- clearly trying to hide their chubbies.

there was no guessing in this movie, nothing unexpected.  seriously, it's only worth it if you want to see some blood and guts.

p.s.: i suck at movie reviews. i never remember anything, just the way i felt overall.

Number 6

really?

i saw two people leave and it was before the major torture scenes...i think they were slightly offended by the sex

personally i felt the torture was a bit lacking....and very laughable at times....but then i was the only person in the entire theater laughing.....

i skipped out of the theater and pondered watching it again....it is the best film i have seen in theaters that did not start at midnight.....great elements of sex, torture, horror and revenge

couple little small fun facts.....when they are at the whorehouse the song 'Massacre' by the dwarves is playing....a bit of forshadowing.....also something that truely made me smile was the fact that when the two main characters finaly bed down with their lovely roommates at the Hostel the song playing is a kind of techno remix of he seduction song from The Wicker Man....a nice ode to a classic film.....there is also a nice ode to the film Sucide Club

there were children there....and i don't mean teenagers....but a family that brought what i would say were 10 to 12 year olds....this i thought was impressive

out of ten i would give this film a 9

i am sure that the dvd will be unrated....as i felt that the torture scenes were cut.....so i am looking forward to that....but i am postitive that i will see this again as soon as possible

and if you are a single guy and can handle the imperfection called women....this is a great date film :)

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Number 6 on January 08, 2006, 03:51:07 PM

really?

i saw two people leave and it was before the major torture scenes...i think they were slightly offended by the sex

personally i felt the torture was a bit lacking....and very laughable at times....but then i was the only person in the entire theater laughing.....

i skipped out of the theater and pondered watching it again....it is the best film i have seen in theaters that did not start at midnight.....great elements of sex, torture, horror and revenge

couple little small fun facts.....when they are at the whorehouse the song 'Massacre' by the dwarves is playing....a bit of forshadowing.....also something that truely made me smile was the fact that when the two main characters finaly bed down with their lovely roommates at the Hostel the song playing is a kind of techno remix of he seduction song from The Wicker Man....a nice ode to a classic film.....there is also a nice ode to the film Sucide Club

there were children there....and i don't mean teenagers....but a family that brought what i would say were 10 to 12 year olds....this i thought was impressive

out of ten i would give this film a 9

i am sure that the dvd will be unrated....as i felt that the torture scenes were cut.....so i am looking forward to that....but i am postitive that i will see this again as soon as possible

and if you are a single guy and can handle the imperfection called women....this is a great date film :)

HAH!!!  your review just gave me a chubbie. 

The only movie that really made me go " ohhh wow, ouch" was "Passion of the Christ" only because its possible that was exactly what happened to a icon that many people believe in.

other than that, im all up for a gore movie that gives 4 chubbies.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Number 6

thank you

i skipped out of the christ film also

Beefy

really?

Try watching one of these things while having an anxiety attack.  It brings back horror to the horror movies.

ReBurn

I think I'm going to see it at lunchtime tomorrow.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beefy on January 08, 2006, 04:29:52 PM
really?

Try watching one of these things while having an anxiety attack.  It brings back horror to the horror movies.

lucky... you have all the fun

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beefy on January 08, 2006, 04:29:52 PM
really?

lucky... you have all the fun

Infobahn

There is an echo in here.

ReBurn

Ok.  I'm off to see this thing.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on January 09, 2006, 11:29:21 AM

It just doesn't strike me as a ReBurn kind of movie.  I'm interested in seeing what he makes of it.

cnamon

Beef, no movie can be as bad as your current avatar.

dazie

Quote from: cnamon on January 09, 2006, 11:34:53 AM
Beef, no movie can be as bad as your current avatar.

2nd
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

I'm going to watch Hostel.

However, I'm going to wait until DVD.  :)

I am going to see Brokeback this week though.

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on January 09, 2006, 12:24:25 PM
I'm going to watch Hostel.

However, I'm going to wait until DVD.  :)

I am going to see Brokeback this week though.
I had a dream that I tried to get my brother to go see that with me.  He said no.

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on January 09, 2006, 11:33:08 AM

It just doesn't strike me as a ReBurn kind of movie.  I'm interested in seeing what he makes of it.
Two words:  OMFG!

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on January 09, 2006, 02:41:19 PM

Is that at the boobies or the, uh, you know...

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on January 09, 2006, 02:42:42 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on January 09, 2006, 02:41:19 PM

Is that at the boobies or the, uh, you know...
I have to admit, this isn't normally my kind of movie.  There are lots and lots of boobies.  And then they threw in some more.  But the "uh, you know..." I just totally wasn't expecting.  But I liked the movie, mostly because it is the kind of movie that you have to watch pretty much all the way through before you can figure out exactly what's going on.  The guy I figured would be the token survivor wasn't.  And even the token survivor didn't actually make it out unscathed.

This wasn't what I would characterize as horror.  I don't think that's what it was for me.  I'm not quite sure what it was for me yet.

Beefy

Hostel 2 has been greenlit and will be out in about a year.

ReBurn

Now that I've come to terms with the first one, I think I would like to see a second one.

You know, Hostel has really made me wonder if there are really places in the world where things like that happen.  It may sound naive, but it is something that I've never thought about before.  I've been thinking about that movie since I saw it.

I certainly don't plan on staying in any hostels any time soon.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ReBurn on January 11, 2006, 09:02:06 AM
Now that I've come to terms with the first one, I think I would like to see a second one.

You know, Hostel has really made me wonder if there are really places in the world where things like that happen.  It may sound naive, but it is something that I've never thought about before.  I've been thinking about that movie since I saw it.

I certainly don't plan on staying in any hostels any time soon.

supervized place for young travelers....   sounds like a place for perverts and their web cams to get pics and clips of hot sexy young bodies in action.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on January 11, 2006, 09:02:06 AM
You know, Hostel has really made me wonder if there are really places in the world where things like that happen.

I bet there are.

Number 6

actually the idea for the movie Hostel came from two sources....the first is the fun in makeing a film with a title that has two meanings and to play with that.....the second is the fact that there is/was a place i belive in Thailand where you could pay $10,000 to shot a person in the head at close range.....now obviously that makes for a boring plot soooo you add the tits and sex and Europe and the idea that people would pay more for Americians (very realistic)

Bishamonten

Saw it.  Weak.  I was let down.  I was hoping the nerdy -likeable- guy would be the "hero", but it's the douche-bag friend of his.  Nothing realy made me 'gross out' or flinch.  It just didn't have any effect.  Frankly, the end of Audition was far more disturbing - Ryo Ishibashi watching a woman saw his feet off with piano wire is one thing.  It's creepy.  But seeing him do it with this great sense of bewilderment and loss on his face as he can't understand why this woman he's fallen in love with is doing this to him.  She's shredding him to pieces and he just wants her to love him back - that's fucking brutal right there.  Oldboy also pulled it off very well.  If you can't sympathize with these people - like these people - then when they get hurt you don't hurt with them.  Visceral film is more than just showing someone get cut up - it's about watching something you've grown to care for fall to pieces in front of you. 

And the achilles tendon scene was done better when it was done to Shin Ha-kyun in Sympathy for Mr Vengeance. 

meredith

Quote from: Bishamonten on January 14, 2006, 11:47:59 PM
Saw it.  Weak.  I was let down.  I was hoping the nerdy -likeable- guy would be the "hero", but it's the douche-bag friend of his.  Nothing realy made me 'gross out' or flinch.  It just didn't have any effect.  Frankly, the end of Audition was far more disturbing - Ryo Ishibashi watching a woman saw his feet off with piano wire is one thing.  It's creepy.  But seeing him do it with this great sense of bewilderment and loss on his face as he can't understand why this woman he's fallen in love with is doing this to him.  She's shredding him to pieces and he just wants her to love him back - that's fucking brutal right there.  Oldboy also pulled it off very well.  If you can't sympathize with these people - like these people - then when they get hurt you don't hurt with them.  Visceral film is more than just showing someone get cut up - it's about watching something you've grown to care for fall to pieces in front of you. 

And the achilles tendon scene was done better when it was done to Shin Ha-kyun in Sympathy for Mr Vengeance. 

I think any man can feel for that.  ;D

And if you're going to talk about movies I haven't seen, make with the linky!

Alice

I know someone over in Europe right now.  He's staying in a hotel (not hostel) in some small town I've never heard of because plans got switched mysteriously & he's not going to be in Amsterdam as planned.  Suddenly all the people he was staying at this hotel with (he doesn't know them, they are on a business/school thing) are no longer registered at the hotel he's at, and he has no idea where they are.

It's silly, but this frightens me.  Stupid movie. 

meredith

Quote from: Alice on May 07, 2006, 12:06:05 AM
I know someone over in Europe right now.  He's staying in a hotel (not hostel) in some small town I've never heard of because plans got switched mysteriously & he's not going to be in Amsterdam as planned.  Suddenly all the people he was staying at this hotel with (he doesn't know them, they are on a business/school thing) are no longer registered at the hotel he's at, and he has no idea where they are.

he'll be okay.

Beefy

dazie

How'd this turn out anyway?

Alice

Quote from: dazie on June 10, 2006, 04:38:49 PM

Oh, he's fine.  I'm just a silly girl.   :D

meredith

Quote from: Alice on June 10, 2006, 06:25:34 PM

Oh, I'm fine.  He's just a silly girl.   :D

Gamplayerx

Quote from: hatt on June 10, 2006, 08:22:18 PM

Oh, he's fine.  God loves a workin' man.   :D

ReBurn

God, I'm fine!  :D

swolt

I just watched hostel.

I liked it. It wasn't as gory as I thought it was going to be. I should have seen it before I read all the hype.

ReBurn

I bought the DVD, but I still have to look away during some of the scenes.

Jessie

Still havent' watched it, still don't want to.

ReBurn

Good call.  I'd let you borrow the DVD, but I hear you never send them back.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ReBurn on July 09, 2006, 10:13:00 PM
Good call.  I'd let you borrow the DVD, but I hear you never send them back.

Id borrow it long enough to burn a copy of it...

swolt

spoiler:

This morning I was eating breakfast and I was thinking about the guy cutting the girl's eye off and I thought "yummm, eye milk."

Beefy

only six months till the sequel, supposedly

swolt

Quote from: Beefy on July 10, 2006, 09:39:55 AM

I heard it was august 2007

Beefy

Quote from: swolt on July 10, 2006, 09:51:07 AM

It probably is.  I haven't heard anything new since they announced rigth after the opening weekend that they were going to release another one in one year's time.  Like having a new Saw franchise around.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on July 10, 2006, 09:54:02 AM
Quote from: swolt on July 10, 2006, 09:51:07 AM

It probably is.  I haven't heard anything new since they announced rigth after the opening weekend that they were going to release another one in one year's time.  Like having a new Saw franchise around.

That's gross.

Mr. Ubiquity

at least that pic still shows his teeth.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

I am not a horror/gore fanatic but I saw it recently. Good flick.

*spoiler*
I found the idea that it wasn't just one man, but a service to wealthy psychopaths very disturbing. That the "salad eating man" could meet his subject and drink with him and then torture him to death is nuts.

Yeah, I watch movies years after they come out. What of it?

ReBurn

Hostel still creeps me the fuck out.

Bishamonten

I still hate this boring ass movie.  Leave horror to people who know what the fuck they're doing.  Namely, Takeshi Miike.

Jessie

I guess that since I've seen Ichi and Man Bites Dog that I can probably handle Hostel. 

Maybe I'll check it out.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Jessie on October 30, 2006, 10:07:27 AM
I guess that since I've seen Ichi and Man Bites Dog that I can probably handle Hostel. 

Maybe I'll check it out.

Hostel, in my opinion, is overhyped.  If you're going to make a horror film, you'd better damned well make it so I don't want to see the main characters mauled in various fashion.  If I'm rooting for the bad guys the whole way, you've managed to make an a blood and guts action film - that's it. 

janegirl987

I thought it was pretty good.
Das mag sein.

ReBurn

I don't know why they called it horror.  It was more shock and gore.

dazie

Here's one that looks creepy.  I snagged the review from Morbid Fact du Jour.

The Audition (Japan 1999) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009WFEDC/theasylumeclecti

Amazon review: "If you want the full sledgehammer-to-the-stomach effect of Audition, stop reading this review now. Just watch it and take the consequences. At first glance, Takashi Miike's jack in the box of a movie works like a romantic comedy: amiable widower Shigeharu Aoyama (Ryo Ishibashi) decides it's time to find a new wife, and a friend suggests holding a fake audition to find the right girl. It soon becomes clear that there is something wrong with Aoyama's choice. This is no ordinary Fatal Attraction-style thriller, however; Audition slowly and carefully builds into a wrenching exploration of both deep male fears and the stereotype of the cute, submissive Japanese woman. Audition is by no means an easy movie to watch--even hardcore horror fans may have trouble--but it will stay with you for a long, long time"

"When I finally got my hands on a copy of The Audition, I had already heard great things and was expecting the unexpected. Now only is this a great story with well rounded characters and complex plot, it also contains some of the most disturbing torture scenes I have ever watched. It starts out as a romantic movie about a lonely middle aged man and slowly turns into a nightmare. The direction is excellent, never giving too much, always throwing in the unexpected. The story draws you in slowly by unraveling the murky past of a beautiful, demur girl. Just like the main character, by the time you know the whole story, you're already in hell."

Bishamonten

Audition is a brilliant film. 

dazie

I bet Number 6 has seen it or has it stashed away somewhere....

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bishamonten on November 01, 2006, 09:40:40 AM
Audition is a brilliant film. 
That's the film with the piano wire amputation that you had somewhere sometime, isn't it?  *shudder*

Dry then Catch

Audition is a brilliant film, but it would have been much better having no expectations and no idea what I was seeing.  More so than with any average movie.  With this in mind, it seemed slow and plodding for about 75% of the movie.

I hear the best is to actually believe its a awkward foreign romantic comedy going in. 

swolt

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 01, 2006, 01:30:18 PM
Audition is a brilliant film, but it would have been much better having no expectations and no idea what I was seeing.  More so than with any average movie.  With this in mind, it seemed slow and plodding for about 75% of the movie.

I hear the best is to actually believe its a awkward foreign romantic comedy going in. 

like The Birds?

Dry then Catch

I never saw it, but I'll gander a guess and say yes

ReBurn

Oh dear God!  Why?

Alice

It doesn't show a picture for me - just an ad.  :(

Jessie

What is that even supposed to be?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on December 13, 2006, 01:54:11 PM
Me, too.  And then when I clicked to skip the ad, it goes to another ad.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 13, 2006, 02:05:48 PM
Quote from: Alice on December 13, 2006, 01:54:11 PM
Me, too.  And then when I clicked to skip the ad, it goes to another ad.
Yup.

Jessie

I see the picture, but I still don't know what it's supposed to be.

BigDun

Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2006, 02:13:08 PM
I see the picture, but I still don't know what it's supposed to be.
Something that is supposed to be on the inside of the body covered with skin.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Beefy

Okay, let's try out the sequel.  No anxiety attacks on the horizon this time.

ReBurn

I've steered clear of the sequel. There was enough gratuitous violence in the first one, thankyouverymuch.

swolt

You guys are pussies. I ate chocolate covered cherries and drank a frozen coke watching the first one.

man this thread makes me hungy

Alice

Quote from: swolt on October 26, 2007, 07:58:33 AM
You guys are pussies. I ate chocolate covered cherries and drank a frozen coke watching the first one.

Is that some joke I'm not getting?

swolt

Quote from: Alice on October 26, 2007, 08:07:40 AM
Quote from: swolt on October 26, 2007, 07:58:33 AM

Is that some joke I'm not getting?

Yes. But none of you will get it, as it's an inside joke between me and myself. And it's fucking hilarious.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on October 25, 2007, 09:39:45 PM
I've steered clear of the sequel. There was enough gratuitous violence in the first one, thankyouverymuch.

This one was a different kind of bird.  The storytelling was more fleshed out.  It continued from and expanded on the original.

I don't know that I'd consider it a great or even good film, but it certainly surprised me by being better and different from what I had anticipated.

And it was nowhere near as violent as I figured it would be.  The "money shot" at the end just looked fake to me.