News:

03/23/05 10,000th post provided by Cnamon!

Main Menu

Don't char your meat

Started by VikingJuice, July 29, 2008, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

Okay, so I'm watching one of those news video clips you get on yahoo and they're always preceded by a commercial these days.  So when I clicked on the video that is going to tell me how Charring your meat can lead to cancer, the add for Outback Steakhouse's Char-grilled Steak is the one that pops up.  I don't know if this is a random occurrence in that this was the one, but I thought it was funny timing if nothing else.

So I guess the message is, if you want cancer from charred meat, go eat at Outback!

Dry then Catch

you know i've never actually been to Outback.  is it really bad or are people just harping on corporate Beef

BigDun

The Awesome Blossom is pretty tasty as are their baked potatoes. As far a chain steakhouses, they are above average.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

eo000

Quote from: BigDun on July 29, 2008, 06:19:28 PM
The Awesome Blossom is pretty tasty as are their baked potatoes. As far a chain steakhouses, they are above average.
would you put them above applebees?

dazie

They always cook their meat to the wrong specs.  If you want medium rare it comes out bloody and cold, if you ask for medium well it's burnt beyond recognition.  Their grills are too hot.

But I like the lamb and the potatoes and the blossom.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

BigDun

Quote from: eo000 on July 29, 2008, 06:20:20 PM
I've never had steak at an applebees so I couldn't directly compare them. I think of applebees as more of a fern bar than a steakhouse chain.

Jessie

I think they're good but overpriced, and not the same type of restaurant as Applebees.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: BigDun on July 29, 2008, 06:22:50 PM
I've never had steak at an applebees so I couldn't directly compare them. I think of applebees as more of a fern bar than a steakhouse chain.

whatever, it offers half price appetizers, plenty of seating and teenage waitresses who think its cool to sit next to you when you order.  yes i give them more of a tip when they do.

and a whole lot of crazy crap on the walls

BigDun

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 29, 2008, 06:25:41 PM
Quote from: BigDun on July 29, 2008, 06:22:50 PM

whatever, it offers half price appetizers, plenty of seating and teenage waitresses who think its cool to sit next to you when you order.  yes i give them more of a tip when they do.

and a whole lot of crazy crap on the walls

You must empty your wallet when you tip at Hooters.

eo000

I'd put Texas Roadhouse above Outback and Applebees. Can't go wrong with free peanuts.

Jessie

I've never had bad food at Texas Roadhouse.  Their kabobs are yummy AND affordable.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: eo000 on July 29, 2008, 06:28:21 PM
I'd put Texas Roadhouse above Outback and Applebees. Can't go wrong with free peanuts.

Have you heard of a chain called Logan's Roadhouse?  Its pretty much the exact same thing down to the menu items, peanuts and rolls.  I can't believe they got away with that shit.  

eo000

never heard of logan's roadhouse.  Did they have a celebrity endorser with a jerry curl?

Jessie

I'm familiar with Logans.  We don't have them here, but there is a Texas Outlaw directly across the street from Texas Roadhouse.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: eo000 on July 29, 2008, 06:35:18 PM
never heard of logan's roadhouse.  Did they have a celebrity endorser with a jerry curl?

even seeing that photo makes me laugh my ass off.   I remember the McDowells and everyone at school thought it was real.

Quote from: Jessie on July 29, 2008, 06:36:09 PM
I'm familiar with Logans.  We don't have them here, but there is a Texas Outlaw directly across the street from Texas Roadhouse.

is it a duplicate just like Logans is? 

Gamplayerx

I haven't been to Outback in at least 10 years, but I recall that they had superb chicken wing thingies.

Speaking of not charring your meat, I am - at this very moment - marinating some meat to put in my new dehydrator and make jerky!!

eo000

Quote from: Gamplayerx on July 29, 2008, 06:58:23 PM
I haven't been to Outback in at least 10 years, but I recall that they had superb chicken wing thingies.

Speaking of not charring your meat, I am - at this very moment - marinating some meat to put in my new dehydrator and make jerky!!
Let me guess, Outback was the first part of the dinner and a movie night when you went to see "Titanic".

Gamplayerx

Quote from: eo000 on July 29, 2008, 07:00:07 PM

Let me guess, Outback was the first part of the dinner and a movie night when you went to see "Titanic".
Hahaha.  Bite me.

eo000

Quote from: Gamplayerx on July 29, 2008, 07:01:36 PM
Quote from: eo000 on July 29, 2008, 07:00:07 PM

Hahaha.  Bite me.
you can't handle the big balls, erwin.

dazie

That's getting dangerously close to ... COOKING!
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on July 29, 2008, 07:08:28 PM

That's getting dangerously close to ... COOKING!
It's a sad, sad state of affairs, but I have been totally reduced to cooking.  I'm on a super restrictive low-salt diet and can't eat basically anything already made or processed.  Although, I'm doing my very best to make Grumpus grill rather than me cook.

On the plus side, I have discovered that I make the world's very best vinaigrette. 

Also, did you know that there are two things saltier than salt? 

Gamplayerx

The potential jerky is in the machine.  It smells soooo awesome.  I wonder how long it will take.  The book says somewhere between 2 and 12 hours.  Which is a fairly large range. 

VikingJuice

I've never had a bad meal at Outback.  I've also never had a bad meal at Texas Roadhouse.  My new favorite though is a place called Texas Land and Cattle.  They serve a jalapeño marinated pork chop that is about 4 inches thick.  It tastes incredible and is freakin' huge.

I don't often order meat like that when I go out because it's pricey just about everywhere, but when the mood strikes, none of these three places disappoint me.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: VikingJuice on July 29, 2008, 08:42:33 PM
I've never had a bad meal at Outback.  I've also never had a bad meal at Texas Roadhouse.  My new favorite though is a place called Texas Land and Cattle.  They serve a jalapeño marinated pork chop that is about 4 inches thick.  It tastes incredible and is freakin' huge.

I don't often order meat like that when I go out because it's pricey just about everywhere, but when the mood strikes, none of these three places disappoint me.
How do you eat something that's 4 inches thick?  Do you make really skinny slivers and then gnaw on those?

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on July 29, 2008, 08:44:29 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on July 29, 2008, 08:42:33 PM

How do you eat something that's 4 inches thick?  Do you make really skinny slivers and then gnaw on those?

First, let me stop snickering...  You grab a knife and cut chunks off.  It's cooked all the way through so you don't get pink pork.  Now I'm snickering again.