News:

mmmhhphh hmmph I chhoudnph hcjear youph wiff fis crunphing in my mouphthmph.

Main Menu

Mercury's in retrograde.

Started by dazie, June 10, 2008, 09:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

My work got hit by lightning on Sunday evening, FUBAR'd everything up.  We're still trying to figure out WTF happened to two of the printers.  I had no server access all day yesterday and part of today.  Phones are still jacked up too, we don't have voicemail.  We also spent most of yesterday with no A/C.

That's ok, because it was made up for today- we froze.

My cell phone's screen crapped out.  I can still make and receive calls, but nothing else.  I've ordered a new phone (with a camera!) from my friendly not-so-neighborhood Radio Shack manager, and it should be arriving shortly.

However, the cruelest blow came from my Big Blue Laptop.  *sigh*  One of the hinges gave 'way a while ago, and lately the machine hasn't been recognizing the power cord.  According to my local computer guru:  "The connection to the power coupling on the motherboard is loose and probably broken.  It can probably be re soldered, but I don't know who would be able to do it (I can't)  The display could be replaced with a eBay purchase and taken care of, probably about $100.  You are looking at near $200-300 to get it back up and working properly.  I would rather have you funnel that expense into a new or newer laptop."

So now I'm laptop-less and in the market.   :-\  Anybody got one?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

QuoteHowever, the cruelest blow came from my Big Blue Laptop.  *sigh*  One of the hinges gave 'way a while ago, and lately the machine hasn't been recognizing the power cord.  According to my local computer guru:  "The connection to the power coupling on the motherboard is loose and probably broken.  It can probably be re soldered, but I don't know who would be able to do it (I can't)  The display could be replaced with a eBay purchase and taken care of, probably about $100.  You are looking at near $200-300 to get it back up and working properly.  I would rather have you funnel that expense into a new or newer laptop."

I have the same problem with my laptop, and I bet we have the same guru, because I got the same advice, pretty much.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Bennyhana

When that happened to my laptop, I ordered a power jack from a company that sells them on ebay ($7, including shipping) and I fixed it myself.  It was a gamble, but it paid off.

ReBurn

When my power jack screwed up I ordered a docking station from eBay for $35. It's small, so I can still use it like a laptop.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurn on June 11, 2008, 09:53:42 AM
When my power jack screwed up I ordered a docking station from eBay for $35. It's small, so I can still use it like a laptop.
How does that work?  Doesn't something still have to plug into the power jack?

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on June 11, 2008, 10:16:13 AM
A docking station has its own port for a power jack. Typically they come with a larger power supply than the one that comes with the laptop because the docking station contains separate LAN, video and audio equipment as well as more USB ports.

Gamplayerx

I just bent the cord and taped it.

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurn on June 11, 2008, 10:27:52 AM
A docking station has its own port for a power jack. Typically they come with a larger power supply than the one that comes with the laptop because the docking station contains separate LAN, video and audio equipment as well as more USB ports.
That doesn't make me understand how this works.  Doesn't the docking station have to connect to the laptop to charge it, in the same jack where the charger would connect?  Otherwise, how does the docking station power the laptop?

meredith

Quote from: Jessie on June 11, 2008, 11:57:09 AM
Quote from: ReBurn on June 11, 2008, 10:27:52 AM
That doesn't make me understand how this works.  Doesn't the docking station have to connect to the laptop to charge it, in the same jack where the charger would connect?  Otherwise, how does the docking station power the laptop?

there might be a special connector for a docking station, either on the back edge or the underside.  that will have a few pins dedicated to power, along with a few dozen others for the extra ports and such.  so it's just an alternate route for power instead of the regular connector

Jessie

ReBurn

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurn on June 11, 2008, 01:47:12 PM
Poor dumb Jessie.
It's not my fault you're a poor communicator!