News:

You know, I think that if there was a person you didn't like, and you handed them Wasabi Peas and a Vernor's ginger ale, and told them to inhale the smell of Vernor's through their nose and then take a bite of the Wasabi Peas and then exhale through their nose, you could kill them and totally get away with it.

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo?

Started by Bishamonten, March 10, 2005, 11:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

NaNoWriMo = National Novel Writing Month.

Anyone planning on participating in NaNoWriMo this year?   I did it last year and it was a blast.  I got to about ~13k words before I finally petered out - nesh made it to about 30k+.  It's a pretty rewarding project if only to say, "I wrote a novel."  In my case, I tried to write a Zombie novel.  It was difficult but fun. 

ReBurn

I've never read a zombie novel.  I didn't know such a thing existed.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

I could totally go for a good zombie novel.

Bishamonten

Quote from: ReBurninator on March 10, 2005, 11:06:16 AM
I've never read a zombie novel.  I didn't know such a thing existed.

Zombies are surprisingly hard to pull off in text alone!

Bishamonten

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 10, 2005, 11:07:05 AM
I could totally go for a good zombie novel.

I don't know that good zombie novels exist.  I've actually never even seen, let alone read a book a zombie book outside of mine and mine sucked.  I would say it would take a hell of writer to pull off a good zombie novel.  It's not easy material.

ignom

How about a zombie novel from the POV of a zombie!
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Bishamonten

Quote from: ignom on March 10, 2005, 11:31:48 AM
How about a zombie novel from the POV of a zombie!

Actually I suggested that idea to Nesh for her novel this year based off a theory she developed on why Zombie situations are compelling.  The theory being that zombies, in a way, are a mechanism to rob someone of their individuality - to turn them into one of the drooling shambling masses. 

ReBurn

I think that the problem with a novel from the POV of a zombie is that there are only so many ways to say "eat brains."
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bishamonten

Quote from: ReBurninator on March 10, 2005, 11:34:16 AM
I think that the problem with a novel from the POV of a zombie is that there are only so many ways to say "eat brains."

I'd assume you'd have to go with a self-aware zombie.

Beefy

I have a handful of zombie novels.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on March 10, 2005, 12:03:57 PM

Any of them good? 

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 10, 2005, 12:15:47 PM
Quote from: Beef on March 10, 2005, 12:03:57 PM

Any of them good? 

Any of them from the zombie's point of view?  How many ways can you say "eat brains"?

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on March 10, 2005, 12:19:14 PM
Nothing Earth shattering. 

A fun place to start:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=t827LzMAzP&isbn=1400049628&itm=1

Bish has already planned for Zombie invasion, though!  Sawed off shotgun: check.  Kukri:  check.  Hot woman to save:  check.  Kill the zombie corpse of Tom Savini:  check.