News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

Today's laundry tip of the day

Started by Beefy, March 04, 2008, 03:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Being a bachelor, I am largely ignorant about most things domestic, hence why you never see me starting threads in here.  However, I learned something today that I didn't know and I thought I would share it with all you folks who probably already know it.

If you saturate ink stains with hairspray and let it sit for about half an hour before washing the piece of clothing, it removes the ink.

Cool.  Lesson learned.

By the way, Nishi, I still can't fold a set of Queen sheets properly.  I've stuck with the bunched-up method.

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on March 04, 2008, 03:09:00 PM
You use hairspray?

Innnteresting.

Have to.  My hair is jacked up otherwise.

BigDun

Another ink related tip (although not laundry related) -

If you ever accidentally use a permanent marker on a dry erase board, you can remove it by writing over it with dry erase markers. The ink in the dry erase markers will dissolve the permanent ink.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

Quote from: DownSouth on March 04, 2008, 03:23:35 PM
Pocket protector break?

Actually, I'm not convinced it was ink at all, but it worked so I thought I'd share.

And no, I don't use pocket protectors.  I prefer living life ON THE EDGE.

Gamplayerx

Another laundry tip:  If you take that stained piece of clothing to the cleaners, they'll get the stain out for you.

DownSouth

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 04, 2008, 03:49:04 PM
Another laundry tip:  If you take that stained piece of clothing to the cleaners, they'll get the stain out for you.
Thanks, Monica.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

meredith

Hairspray is also good for spots where you drop hair dye.

I don't use hairspray but yes, I've done a lot of coloring in my day.

Bennyhana

Quote from: hatt on March 04, 2008, 04:19:41 PM
Hairspray is also good for spots where you drop hair dye.

I don't use hairspray but yes, I've done a lot of coloring in my day.

Me, too.  And if you're looking for a good shampoo sink, go straight to the Dutch.  The French know NOTHING about shampooing.

Gamplayerx

I think it's funny that the French call shampoo "shampooing."

Not laugh out loud funny.  I'm not weird or anything.

Alice

I think it has to be aerosol hair spray.  The ladies in the costuming department where Ben and I used to go taught me that.

Also, the best way to get blood out of clothes is to use your own spit.  There's something in human spit that breaks up blood.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on March 04, 2008, 04:51:27 PM
I think it has to be aerosol hair spray.  The ladies in the costuming department where Ben and I used to go taught me that.

Also, the best way to get blood out of clothes is to use your own spit.  There's something in human spit that breaks up blood.

And it has to be your own spit for your own blood.  So don't spit on someone else's blood, that'll just piss them off.

meredith

Actually I use pump-spray stuff - it has more alcohol, which is really what does the job.

Beefy

Quote from: Bennyhana on March 04, 2008, 04:52:54 PM

And it has to be your own spit for your own blood.  So don't spit on someone else's blood, that'll just piss them off.

And getting piss out comes with its own set of rules and concerns. 

Not that I would know.

Alice

Quote from: hatt on March 04, 2008, 04:57:41 PM
Actually I use pump-spray stuff - it has more alcohol, which is really what does the job.

Really?  They'd always told me aerosol, though I can't remember what the reasoning was.  I'm glad to know the pump works just as well as I hated buying the aerosol.

grace

next laundry tip for sloppy people....grease spots....coat section w/dawn dish soap, rub into stain, let sit for ...35min...rinse w/hot hot water, throw in the washer.
this works for food grease only....

bachelors crack me up....i love to inspect their fridges, laundry rooms, kitchen cabinets....

DownSouth

Quote from: grace on March 04, 2008, 08:45:59 PM
next laundry tip for sloppy people....grease spots....coat section w/dawn dish soap, rub into stain, let sit for ...35min...rinse w/hot hot water, throw in the washer.

bachelors crack me up....i love to inspect their fridges, laundry rooms, kitchen cabinets....
You'd be surprised by mine.  I have tons of health food and about every kind of kitchen gadget you can think of.  I even have plastic containers.

grace

Quote from: DownSouth on March 05, 2008, 06:25:54 AM

You'd be surprised by mine.  I have tons of health food and about every kind of kitchen gadget you can think of.  I even have plastic containers.

do they have lids that match ???

if so , i'd be impressed

DownSouth

Quote from: grace on March 05, 2008, 09:20:45 PM

if so , i'd be impressed
They do!  I keep them together.

grace

Quote from: DownSouth on March 06, 2008, 09:43:50 AM
Quote from: grace on March 05, 2008, 09:20:45 PM

if so , i'd be impressed
They do!  I keep them together.

NO WAY....that's borderline-anal for a guy.

my ex-boyfriend was ex-miliary.... and god-forbid that you disturb the "order" of stuff, any stuff........his dresser was color-coded with all the tee shirts folded perfectly.