News:

40,000th post goes to Gamp!  Happy birthday!

Main Menu

Blog Logo/Banner

Started by Alice, January 30, 2008, 11:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

If you came across a blog with this at the top, what would you think was contained in the blog without reading any of it?

A friend asked me to come up with something for him, gave me little to no description of his blog and some poor descriptive words as to what he wants it to look like... mostly saying "just something that you'd think of me when you look at it".  To which I replied, "I don't think screenshots of the Notebook are really public property."

Feel free to criticize, I'm just trying to see if this gets any reaction of the "key words" he gave me.  Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bennyhana

Video Games?

Crappy Webcomics?

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

Hahaha, okay what about this one?

(FYI - these are not final, just quick drafts)

[attachment deleted by admin]

meredith

I would only use a pixelated effect for something that is well-defined after pixelation, not something that is anti-aliased and scaled up, or something that is higher-resolution and has had a pixelate filter applied.  That is, it's much more pleasant to see the pixel gimmick with clear edges and contrast.

Consider the style used for http://dieselsweeties.com/ which uses no anti-aliasing or midtones.where contrasting colors meet.

Mostly, I say this regarding the text. Try the last one with only Mona Lisa pixelated?

Alice

Quote from: hatt on January 30, 2008, 11:34:58 AM
I would only use a pixelated effect for something that is well-defined after pixelation, not something that is anti-aliased and scaled up, or something that is higher-resolution and has had a pixelate filter applied.  That is, it's much more pleasant to see the pixel gimmick with clear edges and contrast.

Consider the style used for http://dieselsweeties.com/ which uses no anti-aliasing or midtones.where contrasting colors meet.

Mostly, I say this regarding the text. Try the last one with only Mona Lisa pixelated?

Ahhh, gotcha.

He didn't want the Mona Lisa one.  Said it was too serious.

The words he gave me were - "gritty, fun, whimsical and kind of cool".   :-\

meredith

You might also try to write the text in a very small font and scale that up so you can abuse the sub-pixel rendering logic to make the "pixelated" result appear cleaner.

meredith

Vague requests suck.  Send him a pixelated wang!

.. Then tell him you need more detail on his subject matter.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on January 30, 2008, 11:37:51 AM
Quote from: hatt on January 30, 2008, 11:34:58 AM

Ahhh, gotcha.

He didn't want the Mona Lisa one.  Said it was too serious.

The words he gave me were - "gritty, fun, whimsical and kind of cool".   :-\

So what is the blog about?

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Gamplayerx

From the name of it, I'd assume that the blog was about critizing digital imaging of some sort.

Alice

Quote from: Bennyhana on January 30, 2008, 11:44:34 AM

He's going to find things and review them.  What things?  Not entirely sure.  All I know is that he's paying me to do this for a blog that probably won't take off, but I'm just happy to be making some cash.

Here's the transcript of the 3rd email from him after I told him I can't do this without more information, or he's never going to be happy with what he's getting because I'm having to guess.

"Now what I plan on doing with that site is posting a news article once a day and then me writing about it. Also I will take a random picture I find somewhere and just write something creative about it, and every once in a while i'll just review a random thing.

i'm not sold on the wordpress template yet but i mean its barebones but I need a logo :( but thats the spirit of the site and the main idea
i just want something that sort of fits that motif, i mean, use your artists mind to think of something

I'd like to have something a bit.. well pixelated too and whimsical as well, but not OUT THERE, if that makes sense. More along the lines or subtly whimsical and clever but gritty and fun.  Something that makes you think of me when you look at it."

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on January 30, 2008, 11:49:50 AM
Quote from: Bennyhana on January 30, 2008, 11:44:34 AM

He's going to find things and review them.  What things?  Not entirely sure.  All I know is that he's paying me to do this for a blog that probably won't take off, but I'm just happy to be making some cash.

Here's the transcript of the 3rd email from him after I told him I can't do this without more information, or he's never going to be happy with what he's getting because I'm having to guess.

"Now what I plan on doing with that site is posting a news article once a day and then me writing about it. Also I will take a random picture I find somewhere and just write something creative about it, and every once in a while i'll just review a random thing.

i'm not sold on the wordpress template yet but i mean its barebones but I need a logo :( but thats the spirit of the site and the main idea
i just want something that sort of fits that motif, i mean, use your artists mind to think of something

I'd like to have something a bit.. well pixelated too and whimsical as well, but not OUT THERE, if that makes sense. More along the lines or subtly whimsical and clever but gritty and fun.  Something that makes you think of me when you look at it."

What didn't he like about the first one?  Too whimsical?

Alice

Quote from: Bennyhana on January 30, 2008, 11:59:53 AM
What didn't he like about the first one?  Too whimsical?

I haven't sent it yet.  He confused me too much with why he didn't like the Mona Lisa one, so I was going to see what other people thought about the first one before sending it to him.  Because your guys criticism will at least make sense to me.

Want to hear his response to the Mona Lisa one?

"too serious methinks but I like the overall design, like you capture the essence of how i imagined the logo, i just don't think the mona lisa fits in, its a bit serious and i'm going for more gritty, but honest, and humorous at time... like.. "real"... if that makes sense... whimsical or quirkeyish.. etc... just think of something when you think of me, and that would be it"

dazie

Remove Mona Lisa and insert Jackson Pollack.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

Quote from: dazie on January 30, 2008, 12:09:53 PM
Remove Mona Lisa and insert Jackson Pollack.
I was thinking Hello Kitty.

Beefy

If the blog is going to fail anyways then just give him whatever because it ultimately won't matter.

If it is a review site, you can always put an image of an A+ of some other type of test or grade.

Jessie

You know a lot of boys who talk a lot while saying nothing.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on January 30, 2008, 01:30:43 PM
In my experience, that's 80% of boys.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on January 30, 2008, 01:36:15 PM

That's an interesting observation.  Personally, I'd put the number more about 60%, as I think it's possible that 20% are making points that you don't understand because they're either talking above your head, or talking about something that you habitually tune out, like anything other than purses and shoes.

Jessie

Quote from: Bennyhana on January 30, 2008, 01:58:39 PM
Quote from: Alice on January 30, 2008, 01:36:15 PM

That's an interesting observation.  Personally, I'd put the number more about 60%, as I think it's possible that 20% are making points that you don't understand because they're either talking above your head, or talking about something that you habitually tune out, like anything other than purses and shoes.

Well, 100% of everything can usually be attributed to girls being the weaker sex.  Dumb broads.

I dont mean to imply that you think this, I'm just making a joke.  Relax.  No baby, please don't hit me.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Sent it to him, he likes it.  So that's that, I guess. 

Hooray for semi-easy money.

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on January 30, 2008, 02:01:48 PM
Hooray for semi-easy money.

Is there anything about you that isn't semi-easy?

Alice