News:

07/15/05 - Beefy nails the 50,000th post!

Main Menu

Kickstarting the reading habit

Started by Beefy, November 21, 2007, 01:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Okay, so since I have five days off, I figured it would be a good chance to do a few things I've been putting off.  Most of those are household chores, but also I'd really like to get back into reading again.  I seem to move away from it for long periods of time, and I tend to have to find just the right book to get going again.  Here are some of the books I have laying around waiting to be read.  What do you think I should start with?

Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky

Already Dead by Charlie Huston

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Ruins by Scott Smith

World War Z by Max Brooks

An Empire Wilderness by Robert Kaplan

The Story of O by Pauline Reage

The Crimson Labyrinth by Yusuke Kishi

BigDun

I recommend World War Z. Mostly because it's the only book on that list that I have read. Plus it was good.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Alice

I 2nd the World War Z.  I need to get that and read it myself.

Jessie

I want to read that, too.  I also voted for it.  I wonder if my shitty library has it.

I'm also planning on doing chores and reading this weekend.  I'm currently reading this.

I have no idea where I got it and it's not great, but it's more interesting than I expected when I pulled it off the book shelf last week.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on November 21, 2007, 01:50:14 PM
I want to read that, too.  I also voted for it.  I wonder if my shitty library has it.

I'm also planning on doing chores and reading this weekend.  I'm currently reading this.

I have no idea where I got it and it's not great, but it's more interesting than I expected when I pulled it off the book shelf last week.

I have that book!!

Alice

I'm currently reading this.  I'm not really enjoying it.  But I'm so far along, I feel like I should finish it.

It's too much math for my taste in a novel.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on November 21, 2007, 01:55:22 PM
Quote from: Jessie on November 21, 2007, 01:50:14 PM

I have that book!!
It's not bad.  I have lots of books that came from... who knows where, usually my aunt, and lots of them are complete crap.  This one has my attention.  It's not something I can't put down, but I want to finish it.

Have you read it yet?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

BigDun

Quote from: Alice on November 21, 2007, 01:56:47 PM
I'm currently reading this.  I'm not really enjoying it.  But I'm so far along, I feel like I should finish it.

It's too much math for my taste in a novel.

That is a tough read. I did manage to get through it but it took me a long time (and several intervening books).

I am currently reading this. It's so-so. I read the first in the series and thought the concept had merit. So far, not so much.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Alice

Quote from: BigDun on November 21, 2007, 01:59:43 PM
That is a tough read. I did manage to get through it but it took me a long time (and several intervening books).

I really enjoy some of the underlying stories.  I'm just learning to skim over the math parts and it makes it a little better for me. 

I just got a new free book (it's part of this website I belong to, a word of mouth thing) that I need to start reading too.  But I can't remember the name of it or the chick's name.

dazie

Cryptonomicon is my favorite book.  I agree- if I just insert "intricate math related stuff here" whenever they start talking about the Reiman Zeta Function I do much better.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

Quote from: dazie on November 21, 2007, 05:20:08 PM
Cryptonomicon is my favorite book.  I agree- if I just insert "intricate math related stuff here" whenever they start talking about the Reiman Zeta Function I do much better.
At the beginning, I tried to understand the math stuff.  Then I decided that I'd only frustrate myself and gave up.

But yeah, the story parts of the book I'm really enjoying.  I'm very impressed that he can have that many story lines going on without one being "undercooked", having them blur together or be filler.