News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

books

Started by D, April 19, 2005, 02:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D

I didn't actually read all these books. Just wanted to clarify. I was pretty much saying that to impress people. I got the list from a friend and wanted to read all of them, but it really wasn't my own opinion.

Gamplayerx

Oh, good.  I've read the first 2.  And I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on John Irving, D.  Cider House Rules, World According to Garp and Hotel New Hampshire are all great reads.  Widow for One Year wasn't that bad, either.

Jessie

I need to get busy.  I've not read any of those.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Youphoric

Quote from: jessie on April 19, 2005, 02:46:15 PM
Don't read them.  If you don't, then you can't die :)

Jessie

Quote from: Youphoric on April 19, 2005, 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: jessie on April 19, 2005, 02:46:15 PM
Don't read them.  If you don't, then you can't die :)

I need to stick with you.  You're smart!

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

cnamon

This reminds me...I have to go to the bookstore before I go home...the ride home is going to be long today.

Youphoric

I've read none of them.  Some actually make my head hurt just reading the titles.

And every time I read the word "titles" I read it as "tittles'

eo000

I've only read one of those. Uncle Tom's Cabin. It was for a high school lit. class.

aimee3480

Two down, 11 to go.  But I'm not allowing myself to buy any more until I read all the ones lying around my house.

nishi

Quote from: dlightful on April 19, 2005, 04:32:31 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 19, 2005, 02:45:46 PM
Oh, good.  I've read the first 2.  And I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on John Irving, D.  Cider House Rules, World According to Garp and Hotel New Hampshire are all great reads.  Widow for One Year wasn't that bad, either.
I guess i didn't just fall in love with Cider House Rules, or Garp as much as Meany.  New Hampshire never struck my fancy.. I'm flaky when a book doesn't work for me. :( 

I might have to give some of them another go.  My life is much different now.

(don't smite me :(  *whumper*)

oo. you are so smoted. "everything else he ever wrote is garbage"??  goodness.  i'm quite fond of both garp and widow and even HNH has its strong points. they are in some ways all very very different from owen meany, yes.

razor's edge is, i think, better than of human bondage. NOT the movie.

and how can you include only the lugubrious russians but leave out gogol?
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

As a side note, my mom once ran into John Irving.  Literally.

nishi

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 19, 2005, 06:20:24 PM
As a side note, my mom once ran into John Irving.  Literally.

he's a sturdy guy - former wrestler and all. sounds like it could have been painful.

was it his fault??
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

She was jogging in New York City, turned the corner off of Fifth Avenue and *kablam*!  So, um, yeah.  Totally his fault.

Jessie

Quote from: dlightful on April 20, 2005, 10:34:53 AM
Quote from: nishi on April 19, 2005, 05:30:53 PM
Quote from: dlightful on April 19, 2005, 04:32:31 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 19, 2005, 02:45:46 PM
I guess i didn't just fall in love with Cider House Rules, or Garp as much as Meany.  New Hampshire never struck my fancy.. I'm flaky when a book doesn't work for me. :( 

I might have to give some of them another go.  My life is much different now.

(don't smite me :(  *whumper*)

oo. you are so smoted. "everything else he ever wrote is garbage"??  goodness.  i'm quite fond of both garp and widow and even HNH has its strong points. they are in some ways all very very different from owen meany, yes.

razor's edge is, i think, better than of human bondage. NOT the movie.

and how can you include only the lugubrious russians but leave out gogol?
like I said, my life is much different now.  I might have to give Irving another go. I think my first apprehension about him was the "sinfulness"  of some of his elements. I don't think I would react that way now.  I guess I'll be more honest, after being a tad snarky and arrogant in my first post.   :-[   As for Gogol, I am a russiaphile when it comes to music and liturature for sure,  but for me to say you have to read Dead Souls before you die is kind of like (not exactly) saying you have to read Don Quixote before you die.  I just thought he was too jocund for the list.  But all that to say, I don't want to be snobby about my books or my opinion of them.  I really appreciate everyone's opinon.

Whatever, snob.

Jessie

Quote from: dlightful on April 20, 2005, 10:42:27 AM
your repent cat reminds me of you.

I'm not sure if you were being snarky or sweet, as it is a cute little kitty, but it made me chuckle.

Beefy

The Cider House Rules was a wonderful read.

I remember making it through Candide, though I don't know that I got anything out of it.

I didn't see nearly enough smut on that list.