News:

04/07/05 1000th thread provided by Cnamon! This isn't really JuntoOnline. It's CnamonOnline!

Main Menu

MP3 Player info

Started by ursus, September 06, 2007, 07:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ursus

Just starting to look into one for myself.

What equipment do you guys use, recommend?

Post links 'n' shit too...

kthxbye
I was just wondering...

Gamplayerx

I've got an iPod.  I have no equipment, per se.  Got an FM modulator for one car, the other one's stereo has an aux input thingie.  Um, headphones?  I have those, too.  Also, iTunes.  What info are you looking for, that might help.

Jessie

I have a one gig refurb cheapie thing that I got from a wootoff.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Wait.  Speaking of woot offs, didn't dazie just buy you an MP3 player?

I hope that wasn't a surprise or anything.

BigDun

I love my IPod. We have several home speaker boxes (IHome and a boom box type thing) that have built in IPod docks. You can skin them to give them unique personality, and you don't have to worry if a website (like Audible.com) or software package supports it.

Woot had a $99 refurb sale on 4g 20GB unit a few days ago. You can probably get something similar from eBay.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

I forgot - CD reminded me.  I also have an iPod alarm clock thingie.  It's super cool.

BigDun

I know everyone is probably tired of me posting this, but my wife doesn't work there anymore so I don't consider this self promotion: http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/2,241.htm

dots

I also have an iPod.  I have the pink 4GB Nano.  I really like it.

I used to have a Creative Zen, but when I bought a Mac, I had to switch.

I think I will get the new iPod Touch when it comes out.  Or I will wait 3 months and the price will come down :)
You're an asshole and I hate you.

Alice

I think I'm the only person left in America without an mp3 player.

dazie

Dazie bought 3.

Dazie could have used 4.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dots

Quote from: Alice on September 06, 2007, 08:54:54 PM
I think I'm the only person left in America without an mp3 player.
I waited a long time to buy one, but since I take public transit and I walk so much, it made sense.

I listen to NPR podcasts of "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me" and I listen to music with a lot of bass when on the subway.  The altitude changes kill my ears.
You're an asshole and I hate you.

Jessie

Didn't he say he didn't want one, dazie?

Does ursus need a kicking?

I love wait wait don't tell me.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

DownSouth

I don't have one.  Now that I sit on the beach all day I need one though.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Gamplayerx

Want an old stupid one that uses compact flash?  'Cause I'll totally send it to you. 

One or two words of caution, I only have a 16 meg card for it, so it holds about 18 songs.  And you need a card reader.

Alice

You're such a giving person, Gamp.  :)

Maybe he needs a coke machine for the beach too?

Gamplayerx

Ooh!  Maybe he does!

DS! Want a coke machine? 

BigDun

Hey! Don't go giving my Coke machine to him. If he wants a Coke, he can drive up to my house.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on September 06, 2007, 10:24:27 PM
Hey! Don't go giving my Coke machine to him. If he wants a Coke, he can drive up to my house.
I've got three!  Stop stymieing my sales!

DownSouth

I may have a problem geting that over the dunes.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

Quote from: DownSouth on September 06, 2007, 10:34:10 PM
Not if you buy her old car too.

DownSouth

Quote from: Alice on September 06, 2007, 10:35:42 PM
Quote from: DownSouth on September 06, 2007, 10:34:10 PM
Not if you buy her old car too.
The Coke machine probably outweighs the Toyota.  Once I can get back to a full speed run I'm stealing the Good Humor cart on the pier.

Gamplayerx

Hey, now!  No dissing the ole Corollla!!

Side note (I might have told some of you this before):  my cousin Moran (he's Israeli, he goes by Joe when he's here) spent the summers of 2004, 2005 and 2006 driving an ice cream truck in Virginia Beach.

Oh!  Alice!  This is the guy who just married Yodafett.  Her dress was so gorgeous!  I have pictures somewhere, I'll send you one or two.

ursus

Ursus is in the middle of some decision making. One option introduces the Apple "virus" (as a friend likes to call it) to the house.

Can he go first person again?

We're considering some new IT stuff. A part of one of the choices I'm pondering would be better served by Apple products.

I need to be able to listen. Recording would be a plus but isn't a deal breaker either way.

I typically use Sony studio monitor headphones (8 ohm?) both to listen and professionally, but the damn dogs keep snacking on them...

Dazie wanted us to have a matched set for the trip and what not. Not getting 4 isn't a deal breaker either. I know the apple name better than most others.

Just fishing for info.

And, no Gamp, they weren't a surprise of any kind. I appreciate your concern.

Thanks guys and enjoy that coke machine DS!
I was just wondering...

Bennyhana

Quote from: ursus on September 06, 2007, 10:59:22 PM
Ursus is in the middle of some decision making. One option introduces the Apple "virus" (as a friend likes to call it) to the house.

We're considering some new IT stuff. A part of one of the choices I'm pondering would be better served by Apple products.

I need to be able to listen. Recording would be a plus but isn't a deal breaker either way.

I typically use Sony studio monitor headphones (8 ohm?) both to listen and professionally, but the damn dogs keep snacking on them...

Dazie wanted us to have a matched set for the trip and what not. Not getting 4 isn't a deal breaker either. I know the apple name better than most others.

Just fishing for info.

I've had the apple rant here somewhere before.  To sum up, here are my main problems with iPods:

1. They are overpriced for their features.  You can say they're made better, but you'll change your tune when it dies and you have to send it to china to replace the battery.  I can replace my battery wherever AAA batteries are sold.

2. They do not support subscription music.  This is not only services like Rhapsody and Napster, but also this:  Many public libraries have a service where you can download audiobooks (for free!) to your subscription-compatible MP3 player. None of these support iPods, and it's because apple refuses to make a product that works with them.

3. They don't play well with others.  With my MP3 player, I can drag tracks I own onto it and drag them onto any other computer I want, with no problems.  With an iPod, you can plug it into another computer to charge it, but you can't take the songs off.  This will be a problem if you have 4 iPods in the house.

meredith

I got an XM receiver with a microSD slot.  Unfortunately the music you record off the air is stuck on the device, but I like it because I can switch off my mp3s and add more variety to my collection.

ursus

Quote from: Bennyhana on September 06, 2007, 11:47:11 PM
Quote from: ursus on September 06, 2007, 10:59:22 PM

Just fishing for info.

I've had the apple rant here somewhere before.  To sum up, here are my main problems with iPods:

1. They are overpriced for their features.  You can say they're made better, but you'll change your tune when it dies and you have to send it to china to replace the battery.  I can replace my battery wherever AAA batteries are sold.

2. They do not support subscription music.  This is not only services like Rhapsody and Napster, but also this:  Many public libraries have a service where you can download audiobooks (for free!) to your subscription-compatible MP3 player. None of these support iPods, and it's because apple refuses to make a product that works with them.

3. They don't play well with others.  With my MP3 player, I can drag tracks I own onto it and drag them onto any other computer I want, with no problems.  With an iPod, you can plug it into another computer to charge it, but you can't take the songs off.  This will be a problem if you have 4 iPods in the house.

Hadn't thought of the battery thing. I generally don't do music subs, I support artists by buying discs (I know, but that's another thread). So compatibility is a major issue.

As to swapping tunes w/in the family unit? I don't see that as a problem. Ask Dazie, not much in common with each other...

I was just wondering...

VikingJuice

I've had my iPod since summer of '06 and I love it. I've already gotten soooo much mileage out of it.  In my two week California driving trip, we never played the same song twice and still didn't scratch the surface of how much music was on the thing.

I've seen the 20 Gb ones on Ebay for as low as $100 to $120.  20 Gigs is a lot of memory for a first timer wanting to wade into the deep end of digital music.  I haven't heard from many people who dislike their iPod.  I've heard some folks comment on battery issues and freezing issues, but from my understanding, Apple has been pretty good about replacing bad batteries on the early generation machines. 

They've released a number of software updates in the time that I've had mine and they've added some newer cool features, mostly about navigating my collection and some behind the scenes stuff. 

You would probably want some decent headphones, those are cheap.  You might want a holder or player for your house, runs about $100 or so for a pretty decent one.  And depending on whether you have an auxillary input on your car stereo, you might need the little FM Modulator/Transmitter that Gamp suggested.  Mine is called iRock, cost about $30, and it sends a short range FM signal that your car stereo can easily toon in.  They are also good for camping trips.  I picked up an arm holder too, ran about $12.

A lot of my friends and I have started carrying them to parties to play party mixes, dance music or whatever your flavor of the moment is.  Now we all fight over who gets to play their's first!

I'd recommend an iPod to anyone.  It's kewl!!