News:

I went to the general store.  They wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

Main Menu

Building a Website

Started by dots, July 18, 2007, 07:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dots

I need to build a real website.  I already know I can host it through juntoonline.net (plug)...I just want something cool, easy to maintain, inexpensive, and with music.

I need a homepage, 4 galleries, and about me page, and a contact page.

Any suggestions?

And remember...it is me you are dealing with.  Dumb it down.
You're an asshole and I hate you.

Jessie

No, but I can build you a cake.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dots

Quote from: Jessie on July 18, 2007, 07:43:30 PM
No, but I can build you a cake.
OK.

Yellow cake with chocolate icing, please.

Or lemon pound cake.

Alice

Our IT guy at work suggested we use FrontPage.

I don't know what it does really, haven't started using it.  But it's really the only answer I have... besides cake.

dots

FrontPage has been discontinued.

Alice

Quote from: dots on July 18, 2007, 08:04:01 PM
Oh, well hell.  I'm sorry.

I have no advice to offer then.  Other than I bet you could find someone on myspace to build you a website with your specs cheaper than it would cost to buy the software.  Unless you're looking for the learning experience as well.

You know what?  You should contact SMH.  He'd probably be able to tell you some really good tools - as this is basically what he does for a living.  Or did.

Gamplayerx

I'm no help, or I'd help.

BigDun

I usually buy a cheap template off of http://www.templatemonster.com and then modify it with HomeSite (html editor). But that does assume that you have some HTML knowledge. You might be able to buy a template and modify it with Dreamweaver (wysiwyg editor). I don't know if Adobe lets you download a trial of Dreamweaver for free.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

VikingJuice

Since when?  I just used it to do my work webpage back in May.  I really hope that's not correct info because I was just learning how to use front page.

dots

Quote from: VikingJuice on July 18, 2007, 09:03:47 PM

Since when?  I just used it to do my work webpage back in May.  I really hope that's not correct info because I was just learning how to use front page.
Very recently...it was on MS website...they have replacements.

I decided to go with Winklet...I asked a few photographers and it was either that or a really expensive BluDomain website.

It was pretty inexpensive and pretty idiot-proof.  I will share it when I am done.

Jessie

I did an online tutorial in HTML and used Dreamweaver to do some mediocre webdesign back in the day.

dazie

If you're really desperate, you can make a page WYSIWYG in Word.  It'll do the trick, but it won't have many bells and whistles.

I've not heard of either of the ones you mentioned, but maybe it's cuz I'm not a photog.

I have Dreamweaver, so if you need help, let me know.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Dry then Catch

You can VIEW PAGE SOURCE of simple pages you like and uhh plagiarize code. 

ReBurn

FrontPage has been replaced with Visual Web Developer.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/

It's a free tool, but I think it's kinda overkill for simple websites. Plus, it tries to force you into an IE only sort of situation. If you can swing it DreamWeaver is a good tool to use, in my opinion. But it is still kinda heavy. I do like BigDun's suggestion of finding a template. Then all you really have to focus on is look and feel and not so much of how it all works.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ReBurn

I've looked at this in the past, but I didn't build anything meaningful with it:

http://www.nvu.com/index.php

Jessie

Domokun is rocking out to some irish folk music I'm listening to right now.  Hilarious.  I needed that.

ReBurn

meredith

Yeah templatemonster or www.oswd.org if you want to go with something pre-built.  You can always tweak beyond the template for a more unique look.  (or templatemonster may sell some with exclusive rights, don't remember).

Easiest thing beyond that, TBH, is probably to get a friend who can belt out a nice design for you.  Dreamweaver or VWD.. you have to buy or steal a copy.  Nvu is just the Netscape/Mozilla Composer pulled out into a standalone app as was done to Firefox.  It's not all that great for web pages post-1998, as Composer has been practically untouched.