News:

03/23/05 10,000th post provided by Cnamon!

Main Menu

The urge to splurge

Started by ReBurn, July 09, 2007, 08:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReBurn

Right now, at this point in time, I really want a Blu-Ray player. But they are still crazy expensive. Not to mention, Heroes is coming to HD-DVD as well as DVD and Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are not compatible.

On the other side of the issue, if you buy a Blu-Ray player right now you get 5 Blu-Ray discs for free (from the limited selection of the offer, but come on, I never met a movie I couldn't watch) so that's an incentive. http://www.bluraysavings.com/

I know I should wait before investing in either format, because either or both could go the way of the dinosaur.

*sigh*
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

JJ

Quote from: ReBurn on July 09, 2007, 08:08:57 PM
Right now, at this point in time, I really want a Blu-Ray player. But they are still crazy expensive. Not to mention, Heroes is coming to HD-DVD as well as DVD and Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are not compatible.

On the other side of the issue, if you buy a Blu-Ray player right now you get 5 Blu-Ray discs for free (from the limited selection of the offer, but come on, I never met a movie I couldn't watch) so that's an incentive. http://www.bluraysavings.com/

I know I should wait before investing in either format, because either or both could go the way of the dinosaur.

*sigh*

Go for the HD-DVD.

Homo.

ReBurn

Quote from: JJ on July 09, 2007, 08:12:31 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on July 09, 2007, 08:08:57 PM

*sigh*

Go for the HD-DVD.

Homo.
*raises eyebrow* Are you taunting me?

HD-DVD is cheaper. I can even get the player that plugs into my Xbox.

Alice

Split the difference and buy me a Wii.

Infobahn

Blue Ray is going to win.

The Wii rocks.

ReBurn

The Wii does rock. One day I'm going to get that 300 in bowling. Trauma Center is a lot of fun, too.

Jessie

I like tennis, but I'm best at bowling.

I'm not a big fan of baseball, though.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

eo000

from the little i've read, blue ray is leading.

meredith

blu-ray is better technology

Infobahn

I have had an iTunes account for three years, and I just bought my first iPod.  My iPod is cool.

ReBurn

I have an iPod, too. Just a 4gb Nano, though. I don't have nearly enough music to fill it up.

Infobahn

Quote from: ReBurn on July 09, 2007, 10:24:13 PM
I have an iPod, too. Just a 4gb Nano, though. I don't have nearly enough music to fill it up.
I bought "Weeds" seasons 1 & 2, and a couple of comedy specials.  I am going to start burning my cds soon.
I will be gone soon, and will need to fill a lot of airport time.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: hatt on July 09, 2007, 09:47:55 PM
blu-ray is better technology

hd-dvd is cooler to say out loud

Beefy

Blu-Ray is leading in the professional industry, but there isn't a clear winner yet in the commercial industry.  The likely bet, as everyone mentioned above, is Blu-Ray.

That said, nothing is 100% for sure.  In fact, I read last week that there is a new contender, a third form of HD DVD technology, that is supposedly about to rise up.  Will it happen?  Will it have an impact?  Who knows.

I'm still of the opinion that it's a better idea to hold off on HD until a clear winner emerges, unless you're a big technophile who absolutely has to have the latest technology. 

Alice

I think my dad still has his Laser Disc player if you want it. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on July 10, 2007, 08:07:16 AM

my parents have a laser disc karaoke.  It was cooler than these "DVD 300 songs in one disc" types because you got video with it.

Beefy isn't there a  very specific reason why certain people in the AV community still like laser disc?

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 10, 2007, 11:30:56 AM

my parents have a laser disc karaoke.  It was cooler than these "DVD 300 songs in one disc" types because you got video with it.

Beefy isn't there a  very specific reason why certain people in the AV community still like laser disc?

Nostalgia?  I still have mine.

Laserdiscs experience laser rot after a number of years.  And it's been how long since laserdiscs were produced...?

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on July 10, 2007, 11:32:48 AM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 10, 2007, 11:30:56 AM

Nostalgia?  I still have mine.

Laserdiscs experience laser rot after a number of years.  And it's been how long since laserdiscs were produced...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_disc#Laserdisc_vs._DVD

Bennyhana

Blu-Ray is a Sony format.   Like Beta and MiniDisc.

/just sayin'

ReBurn

Infobahn

Quote from: ReBurn on February 19, 2008, 06:08:01 PM
Quote from: Infobahn on July 09, 2007, 08:43:39 PM
Looks like you were right.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm
Not that I am cheering for one side, but at least we don't have to worry if we are buying the right format.  At least for a while until Super 3D 9.1 THX BetaBluVHS Super Disc thingy comes out in two years.

ReBurn

Quote from: Infobahn on February 19, 2008, 08:50:19 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on February 19, 2008, 06:08:01 PM
Quote from: Infobahn on July 09, 2007, 08:43:39 PM
Looks like you were right.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm
Not that I am cheering for one side, but at least we don't have to worry if we are buying the right format.  At least for a while until Super 3D 9.1 THX BetaBluVHS Super Disc thingy comes out in two years.
And I'm totally on-board for that!

meredith

They won because it's easier to say "Blu-Ray" than "HD-DVD".

Bennyhana

Quote from: hatt on February 20, 2008, 12:39:01 PM
They won because it's easier to say "Blu-Ray" than "HD-DVD".

You joke, but that may have been a factor.  They should've just called it HDVD. 

Alice

I think they put a dog in the middle of the room and had each player call to it.  The dog ran right over to Blue-Ray.

DownSouth

Quote from: Alice on February 20, 2008, 02:58:22 PM
I think they put a dog in the middle of the room and had each player call to it.  The dog ran right over to Blue-Ray.
That's a good way to pick a wife too.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bennyhana

Quote from: DownSouth on February 20, 2008, 04:22:32 PM

My wife is made of meat.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 20, 2008, 04:28:23 PM

My wife is made of meat.
Does that mean she's attracted to Blue-Ray or not?

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 20, 2008, 04:30:34 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on February 20, 2008, 04:28:23 PM

My wife is made of meat.
Does that mean she's attracted to Blue-Ray or not?

It means the dog likes her.

dazie

Just got to try out TV-zilla with Ursus' laptop/blu-ray player.

We're total nerds and went and got Blu-Ray copies of movies we already own, so we can check out the difference between the two to see if it's worth it.

So worth it.

Star Trek on Blu Ray- awesome. 300 on Blu Ray- outstanding. Both on TV-zilla with Blu Ray? FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dazie

Thunderball on Blu-Ray.

heh heh heh.  Nipples.  That's all I'm sayin.

BigDun

Quote from: dazie on April 22, 2010, 08:21:51 PM
Thunderball on Blu-Ray.

heh heh heh.  Nipples.  That's all I'm sayin.

Tell us more please...
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

In the opening sequence when all the girls are swimming around.  Always thought they were wearing bathing suits.

Not the case.