News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

I'm such a geek

Started by dazie, June 27, 2007, 01:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11469135

I wouldn't use half the features, and it probably doesn't make any better calls than the $20 pink phone I have now, but I REALLY WANT ONE.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

Too bad carriers are going to cripple it just like every other innovative phone idea that has ever materialized.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

You mean like Cingular and Sprint etc?

How?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

One of the biggest drawbacks in the American cell phone market is how the carriers limit your ability to use features built into phones to protect their competitive positioning in the market. Access WiFi hotspots and various other Internet connectivity options is one way they limit you. Pretty much they force you to use their crappy service for access. I was reading an article in Information Week about this just a few weeks ago. If the iPhone is like any other phone, the only way you'll be able to use it to access the Internet is to go through AT&T, which is a complete travesty. I would much rather connect to an open access point when one is available. I'll really be surprised if the iPhone allows that.

I wish the American market was more like the European market in regard to cell phones, networks and their abilities.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bennyhana

Quote from: dazie on June 27, 2007, 02:01:14 PM
You mean like Cingular and Sprint etc?

How?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to plug your phone into your computer and sync your address book, calendar (if you have one), pictures and email?  The phones are capable of doing all that (and have been for some time), but in many cases providers cripple them to prevent you from doing things without paying for them.

meredith

I wouldn't blame the providers if they crippled stuff in order to reduce the support calls.  :P

http://www.howardforums.com/
Assuming you own the phone, there's nothing wrong with turning these features back on.