News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

Ayn Rand

Started by D, April 16, 2005, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D

Is wrong. She's wrong.

cnamon

I was reading The Fountainhead...it was pretty good...I need to finish it.

I have Atlas Shrugged...have yet to read it.

dazie

I much preferred the Fountainhead to Atlas Shrugged.  Something about the drive in the architect that struck a chord with me.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

I've always meant to read those. 

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 16, 2005, 10:11:00 AM
I've always meant to read those. 

They're great for vacations- you'll need a lot of time to read and digest them.  They're good, but not easy reads.

OBB

I *agree* with her for the most part, but I found the book too long and preachy for me. After the first 300 pages I was like "Ok, I get your point."

dazie

Which her?  Me her?

Dry then Catch

You can read "Anthem" in one constipation session and you'll get the gist of the idealistic selfishness (IMHO) of Objectivism

OBB

dazie

Quote from: OBB on April 18, 2005, 02:16:59 PM
Quote from: dazie on April 18, 2005, 08:53:50 AM
Which her?  Me her?

No, I positively loathe you  ;)

You despise me, don't you?
If I gave you any thought I probably would.

ursus

Anti-totalitarianism (i.e. soviet style communism=bad)

There, I just saved you untold hours of waiting for her to get to the point.  :angel:

I liked "Fountainhead" but "Atlas Shrugged" has more action...
I was just wondering...

Dry then Catch

Perhaps she wrote as a reaction to growing Communism, but I still believe her view to be visciously selfish.  At some point or another people require the resources and help of the greater community.  Her "survival of the fittest" capitalism is just cruel in practice. 

ursus

Her view is very selfish(and anti communist), and it arises from the fact that her family fled from russia during Stalin's purges...
What she saw was the government taking things from those who could produce without renumeration for the effort of producing, it scared her...
I was just wondering...

Number 6

Rand's biggest weaknes was her love for humanity....which in my opinion show the flaws of Objectivism

personal i prefer Atlas Shrugged to Fountainhead.....although i got more out of Fountainhead....but i get all gooey inside when a book starts with a question.....and John Galt's 80 page speech at the end....is for lack of a better word....moving

i admire Ayn Rand very much and truely understand why she is looked at the way she is....although i would never subject to saying i agree with or belive in Objectivism.....i also find it so interesting the type of people i get into conversations with about Ayn Rand.....a funny (and true) example would be a man named Mark....a strong Christian who is a partial owner in an internet corperation....he drives a bright yellow Dodge Viper with a personalized liscense plate which reads 'discipline' (i can't remember exactly how he made it fit...so you'll just have to use your imagination).....the point being is that this man is just about a polar oppisite to myself....and somebody i lothe...and who i'm sure is not fond of me....but we both had a very pleasent conversation for a little over an hour.....thank you Ayn Rand

Alice

Quote from: Number 6 on May 28, 2005, 12:32:34 PM
Rand's biggest weaknes was her love for humanity

I think her biggest weakness was lack of a decent sense of voice.  That and she was too busy trying to sound pretentious that she missed the point of her own books.

And I hear she's a feltcher.

Number 6

i hear she's dead

Beefy

dazie

Where is Dlightful anyway?   ???

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on May 29, 2005, 04:57:28 PM
He's up here for his brother's wedding and was supposed to call me yesterday and didn't.  The bastage.

Alice

Он был завербован Агентством Национальной безопасности. Он находится на главной(высшей) секретной миссии от Правительства. Пожалуйста прекратите задавать вопросы, или они найдут Вас.

eo000

Quote from: aliceliddell on May 29, 2005, 06:10:11 PM
Он был завербован Агентством Национальной безопасности. Он находится на главной(высшей) секретной миссии от Правительства. Пожалуйста прекратите задавать вопросы, или они найдут Вас.
um. ???

dazie

Quote from: aliceliddell on May 29, 2005, 06:10:11 PM

OO!  He's in Russia?

One of those words is (phonetically- sort of) puh-zhal-uh-stuh.  It means please.  It's the one with the ж.

ursus

I had a shirt with that stuff on it.
People would walk up to me and ask "Chaptak, Apam Xyatapur?"
I'd say "No, Spartacus; Aram Katchaturian. Duh!"
I was just wondering...

dazie

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged now- I like it quite a bit more than I did the first time I tried.

One question though- Dagny.  Is it pronounced "Dag-nee" or "Dan-yee"