News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

Hate Linksys

Started by dazie, May 23, 2007, 08:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

I bought a wireless router on Friday, and hooked it up to my PC.

It didn't work, so I called Swolt.  God love him, he wa stumped.  So I called tech support in I think Bangladesh.  Half an hour later, after downloading the latest firmware (my brand new router didn't have the newest firmware) "Chris" got it working for me.  (his name was Chris like mine is Ming Lu)

The next day, turn on the laptop, no internet.  Turn on the desktop- no internet.  So I made my son call Bangladesh.  45 minutes later, after learning that his tech support guy plays guitar and wants to be in a band, it worked.

Sunday morning- laptop could connect, desktop could not.

Monday we didn't even try.

Yesterday- no connection on either machine.  I called my DSL provider, and half an hour later, I got that working.  But still no wireless.  So, back to Bangladesh.  The tech yammered me through a bunch of stuff, and asked what firmware version.  I told her and she said I needed to upgrade.  WTF.  I just DID.  Evidently it wasn't the latest latest version, so I had to do it all again.  I handed the phone to my son and went and watched a movie.

Half an hour after THAT, everything was finally working.  He worked on his homework on the PC, I dorked around on the laptop.  Later, after he'd gone to bed, all internet to the laptop stopped.  I gave up and went to bed.

This morning- no connectivity on the PC or on the laptop.  I am PISSED.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

That's why I returned my Linksys went with D-Link. They say the setup isn't as friendly, but by golly it has been running like a champ since day one.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

swolt

But at least you got to talk to me on the phone :)
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

dazie

Gamplayerx

I like Linksys.  I love their accents.  And they're so helpful.  The routers never have the latest firmware.  That's just a given.  You might have a bum router.

Bennyhana

I bought a linksys wireless card for my desktop (the wife doesn't want me to run a cable through the house to where the router needs to be for the laptops to work everywhere) and it's been really, really finnicky.  The last two mornings, I've had to power cycle the router and log out and back in to get the fucking thing to work.  And I never had problems with that router with the laptops.  I spent extra money on a brand that is supposed to be good.  I'm pretty pissed, too.

Alice

How about you just run the cable through the house?

Jessie

You don't really need wireless anyway!
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on May 23, 2007, 11:46:03 AM

I'd love to.  I really would.  If I were living alone, I wouldn't have wireless internet.

Alice

Quote from: Bennyhana on May 23, 2007, 12:47:59 PM

I'd love to.  I really would.  If I were living alone, I wouldn't have wireless internet.
Can't you just tell her that it isn't working - and sorry to minorly upset the aesthetic, but if you guys want internet in the house, you need cables?

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on May 23, 2007, 12:52:49 PM

Can't you just tell her that it isn't working - and sorry to minorly upset the aesthetic, but if you guys want internet in the house, you need cables?

Someone else who's married want to respond to this?

BigDun

Quote from: Bennyhana on May 23, 2007, 12:54:17 PM

I'll take a stab at it.

No, you can't tell your wife that. Aesthetics trumps utility.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

Quote from: BigDun on May 23, 2007, 01:29:26 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on May 23, 2007, 12:54:17 PM

I'll take a stab at it.

No, you can't tell your wife that. Aesthetics trumps utility.
That's why we don't get to pick paint or fabric colors. I'm not even allowed to pick out my own shirts anymore.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

That's effing stupid then.  I'd just cancel internet and cable until they understood.

Gamplayerx

No, you need wireless.  Otherwise it's a pain in the ass to take the laptop outside and surf on a sunny day.

Alice

How do you see what's on the screen outside on a sunny day?

Gamplayerx

It's all about angles.

swolt

swolt

Quote from: Alice on May 23, 2007, 01:33:30 PM
That's effing stupid then.  I'd just cancel internet and cable until they understood.

you've never heard the phrase "Fine. No sex until I get what I want."

dazie

OK- I finally got fed up with the wireless router and disconnected it from the computer.  Then I tried to just use the DSL modem as I have for the past what, 4 years?

No dice.

So I called ATT/SBCGlobal/Yahoo DSL and spoke with some very nice people who were sad to inform me that those little lights on the front should be lit up, and that my modem is dead.

Oh joy.

So they're sending me a modem/router combo piece and I took the Linksys router back to Walmart today.  Got some cute shoes for me and some clothes for the kids instead.

The downside is I'm without internet at home until probably Thursday.   :(

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

Work.  I had to do some house hunting stuff.

Infobahn

I was trying to get DSL up in the new house, and it wasn't working (I even got a call from Verizon asking why I hadn't started up yet - WTF?).

It seems that the builder didn't test the phone plugs once installed, so I had to take the modem and router to another plug upstairs away from the desktop.  PITA.

dazie

We only have one phone jack that works anyway.   ::)

dazie

Whoop!  The new modem/router combo arrived today.  I told Ursus to let Tim install it- hopefully nothing blows up.