News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

Awesome book with SPARTANS!!!!!!!!

Started by OBB, April 30, 2007, 08:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBB

First of all, I imagine you've all either seen 300 or at least caught a whiff of its tantalizing musk, which is a finely-crafted blend of homoeroticism and awesome. Now I've got to tell you all about a totally sweet novel about the Battle of Thermopylae, called "Gates of Fire", by a guy named Steven Pressfield. The book is narrated by the sole Greek survivor of the Spartans, and he's relaying his story to king Xerxes after the Spartans all die. The book is really well researched, and it's an awesome story. It would have made a phenomenal movie, and there's a bunch of sweet action scenes described, along with characters that while not terribly three-dimensional, are definitely likeable. Anyway, if you liked 300, and you like well-researched historical fiction, then read "Gates of Fire", by Steven Pressfield. But don't take my word for it!

Dry then Catch

I am more concerned about the plight of the Helots

so its para-non-fiction?

dazie

Quote from: OBB on April 30, 2007, 08:52:37 PM
First of all, I imagine you've all either seen 300 or at least caught a whiff of its tantalizing musk, which is a finely-crafted blend of homoeroticism and awesome. Now I've got to tell you all about a totally sweet novel about the Battle of Thermopylae, called "Gates of Fire", by a guy named Steven Pressfield. The book is narrated by the sole Greek survivor of the Spartans, and he's relaying his story to king Xerxes after the Spartans all die. The book is really well researched, and it's an awesome story. It would have made a phenomenal movie, and there's a bunch of sweet action scenes described, along with characters that while not terribly three-dimensional, are definitely likeable. Anyway, if you liked 300, and you like well-researched historical fiction, then read "Gates of Fire", by Steven Pressfield. But don't take my work for it!

Yeah.  Cuz it's like only 85% of real word.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

OBB

It's essentially para-nonfiction, yes. It's quite obvious that the author has read his Herodotus and Thucydides, and done a large amount of research into the Spartan culture. They go into talking about the Helots and the underclass of people who aren't full Spartans who keep Sparta running and whatnot.

And this book was written by an AMERICAN, so my opinion fully matters, DAZIE!

dazie

Quote from: OBB on April 30, 2007, 09:32:19 PM
It's essentially para-nonfiction, yes. It's quite obvious that the author has read his Herodotus and Thucydides, and done a large amount of research into the Spartan culture. They go into talking about the Helots and the underclass of people who aren't full Spartans who keep Sparta running and whatnot.

And this book was written by an AMERICAN, so my opinion fully matters, DAZIE!

:-*

Bishamonten

Read Gates of Fire a year or two ago.  Pressfield also has another book on the Peloponysian Wars.  Also, his book "War of Art" is highly praised.

Gamplayerx

I want to be enthusiastic about this thread, so I'll just say hi to OBB.

Hi, OBB!

OBB

Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 01, 2007, 09:12:53 PM

Hi, OBB!

THEN WE WILL FIGHT IN THE SHADE!!!!!!

(Hi Gamp!)

eo000

Quote from: OBB on May 02, 2007, 06:27:54 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 01, 2007, 09:12:53 PM

Hi, OBB!

THEN WE WILL FIGHT IN THE SHADE!!!!!!

(Hi Gamp!)

dazie

Bishamonten

OBB,

please find a book titled "Illium" by Dan Simmons in your local Library, read and get back to me on it...

-Bish

Dry then Catch

OBB