News:

BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

New Laptop

Started by Alice, April 16, 2007, 03:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

If I bought a laptop that won't be used until May or June, should I leave it in the box until then - or open it up to make sure everything is okay?  Do I need to charge it up now and then for the next monthish?  Or leave it alone?

I don't really know how laptop batteries work.

Gamplayerx

Not from a technical issue, just from a consumer's - you should open it up and make sure everything works.

ReBurn

You should be able to plug it in without the battery installed if you're worried about shortening the battery life by leaving it plugged in for a month or two. But as Gamp said, you should definitely make sure it works.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 16, 2007, 03:09:36 PM
Not from a technical issue, just from a consumer's - you should open it up and make sure everything works.
That's what I was thinking... just didn't know if that would be okay to do and then have it not touched for a month.

swolt

Quote from: Alice on April 16, 2007, 03:12:12 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 16, 2007, 03:09:36 PM
That's what I was thinking... just didn't know if that would be okay to do and then have it not touched for a month.

it should be fine sitting up. I would unplug the battery though. But yes, make sure everything is working once you get it.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Dry then Catch

why would you buy a laptop now and not use it till later?  Why not just buy it later?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on April 16, 2007, 06:59:52 PM
why would you buy a laptop now and not use it till later?  Why not just buy it later?
It's a gift for someone else.  I think.  Forgive me if I misspeak for you, alice.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 16, 2007, 08:50:50 PM
It's a gift for someone else.  I think.  Forgive me if I misspeak for you, alice.
It's a half gift for someone.

I have a friend going back to school that needs a laptop.  We're splitting the cost of it - it'll be half a birthday/Xmas present from me.  That way he can get a really good laptop for a price he can afford.  It's nice cuz Dell had a sale, plus I got a small business discount through my work & they used a credit they had with Dell cuz my supervisor said they wouldn't use it for years & that the bossman wouldn't even know.  I basically got a $900 laptop for $450.  Which isn't bad.

Oh anyway - he won't be home until July... but I wanted to take advantage of the sale. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on April 17, 2007, 09:02:55 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 16, 2007, 08:50:50 PM
It's a half gift for someone.

I have a friend going back to school that needs a laptop.  We're splitting the cost of it - it'll be half a birthday/Xmas present from me.  That way he can get a really good laptop for a price he can afford.  It's nice cuz Dell had a sale, plus I got a small business discount through my work & they used a credit they had with Dell cuz my supervisor said they wouldn't use it for years & that the bossman wouldn't even know.  I basically got a $900 laptop for $450.  Which isn't bad.

Oh anyway - he won't be home until July... but I wanted to take advantage of the sale. 

that is very generous, half or whole.