News:

9/7/05- 6 months! How the heck did we miss that date?? And you didn't even remember to get me a gift!

Main Menu

Sandman

Started by swolt, March 06, 2007, 03:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

I just finished reading Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Everyone has been telling me how awesome it is and I must read it and blah blah blah.

WTF? It was ok, but nothing great. It was kind of boring. I kept waiting for something good to happen.

Death was hot though.

Anyone else read it? Did I just not get it?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Jessie

I've not read that, but I read Anansi Boys, and I liked it ok.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

swolt

American Gods is one of my favorite books of all time. He is a good writer. I'm just not into comics I guess.

BigDun

The last two books I read were American Gods and Anansi Boys. I finished Anansi Boys last night at 12:30.

Now I am bookless. :(
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

swolt

Quote from: BigDun on March 06, 2007, 03:28:56 PM
The last two books I read were American Gods and Anansi Boys. I finished Anansi Boys last night at 12:30.

Did you like American Gods?

I need to get Anansi Boys

Beefy

I thought he tried too hard with American Gods.  He packs in so many references to so many Gods that no one could possibly know all of and it just made me feel like I was missing out half the time.  It was a good idea, and had a good narrative framework (felt very similar to Clive Barker several times), but ultimately I thought less could have been more.

I have but have not yet read Anansi Boys.

And yes, Swolt, Sandman is overrated.  There, I said it.  It shows a huge amount of creativity but doesn't manage to remain compelling all the time.

I hear that some of the offshoots, like Lucifer, are better.

BigDun

Quote from: swolt on March 06, 2007, 03:30:18 PM
Quote from: BigDun on March 06, 2007, 03:28:56 PM

Did you like American Gods?

I need to get Anansi Boys

I would give American Gods 3 out 5 stars. A decent read.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt