News:

BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

Grindhouse

Started by eo000, February 23, 2007, 03:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eo000

dazie

It looks long.  We have a poster up for it.  Pretty neat poster.

That's all I know about it.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

eo000

damnit. i read the spoilers.

Beefy

swolt

That was an awesome review.

I want to see this movie so bad.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Gamplayerx

ursus

I was just wondering...

dots

Out today!

I am going to see it.
You're an asshole and I hate you.

BigDun

I saw it this afternoon.

Meh. Parts of it were OK, but it waaaaay too long.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

swolt

I loved it. Planet Terror was freakin' great. Death Proof was pretty good, I thought it was a little long.

I am SOOO disappointed there really isn't a Thanksgiving movie. I would go see that.

VikingJuice

I weighed in just the opposite.  I thought Planet Terror was okay but Death Proof was really good.

Zoe.......Mmmmmm.  She'd probably break me in half and do permanant damage but YOW!!!  She's so hot.

Beefy

Yeah, gotta lean towards Death Proof.  It's talky, but once you get through the set-up to action, it's breathless and funny.

And DON'T wait for THANKSGIVING to see MACHETE!

swolt

ok now that I have time to type it up, here are my thoughts on both movies. Spoilers below! Read at your own risk.

Planet Terror was just what I was expecting. The look, feel, acting, and sound track made it seem like a cheap B movie from the 80's or early 90's. Old B movies (and this one) can get away with crazy things because hey, it's a cheaply made movie and they HAVE to be crazy to make up for lack of effects and good acting. That's why the machine gun leg and Bruce Willis falling apart at the end worked so well in this movie. And by the way, the line Wray gives Bruce is so awesome "Thank you for your service to this country, sir." BLAM!

Death Proof didn't feel like a cheap B movie. It felt like a Tarantino flick. The dialog was cool, like his other movies, but it didn't feel like what I was expecting. Yes, the action was awesome and the car chase was freakin' amazing, plus it had some great lines ("I'm about to bust a nut up in here!") But I think he kind of cheated. Planet Terror could get away with the missing reel gag, Death Proof couldn't. Not only did it seem like a repeat of a joke from the first movie, but it didn't work for this film. I found it distracting when the film got messed up, unlike Planet Terror where I thought it was funny.
It also seemed long winded just for the sake of being long winded. I don't mind the dialog if it moves the story forward or is entertaining, but it seemed like he was trying too hard to make classic lines. I thought it could have used much less of the girls talking and more about what happened to Kurt Russell (where DID the scar come from? Did he cry like a baby when he got it?)

Having said all that, I enjoyed both movies. Maybe I was just in the mood for a comedy, but I loved Planet Terror so much. I now have a machine gun leg fetish.

Beefy

I keep meaning to reply to Swolt, but then I figure I don't have the time and then I put it off.

Oh well, in the mean time, there might be, in theory, three songs from Death Proof in the Dump.  They would in theory only be there for a short time, though.

And they might, just maybe, theoretically include Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich!

Alice

I liked them both, but liked Death Proof more.  Planet Terror had too much Tarantino in it for my taste.  Way too much.

I was distracted a bit during a part of Death Proof as a cockroach crawled across our table, but other than that - thoroughly enjoyed the flick.  Oh, and Butterfly has an effed up nose.

eo000

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

We have a movie theatre/bar/restaurant out here.  It's cheaper than a normal movie theater, but more expensive if you end up ordering food or drink.

Supposedly Paris Hilton was there last month.  ::)

dazie

Quote from: Alice on April 16, 2007, 08:40:39 AM
We have a movie theatre/bar/restaurant out here.  It's cheaper than a normal movie theater, but more expensive if you end up ordering food or drink.

That would explain the cockroach.

eo000

Quote from: dazie on April 16, 2007, 08:43:27 AM

haha, it was a supercrab!

Jessie

Quote from: eo000 on April 16, 2007, 08:45:06 AM

Oh Barf!

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on April 16, 2007, 08:45:06 AM

Or would that be a coochroach?

Jessie

I liked Planet Terror way more.  It was just fun, and didn't try to be anything but.

Death Proof had great action, but not enough of it.  There was too much set up for the first group of girls.  I loved Zoe, though.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on April 30, 2007, 09:04:58 PM
I liked Planet Terror way more.  It was just fun, and didn't try to be anything but.

Death Proof had great action, but not enough of it.  There was too much set up for the first group of girls.  I loved Zoe, though.

Death Proof was more a real grindhouse flick.  And the hood stunt scenes were more exciting than anything in Planet Terror.

Dry then Catch

Jessie

How did they get Fergie to look so freakin hot and not just freakish like usual?

Also, Rose McGowen was super hot, too.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on April 30, 2007, 09:32:16 PM
How did they get Fergie to look so freakin hot and not just freakish like usual?

Also, Rose McGowen was super hot, too.

It was nighttime. Everyone looks better in the dark.

Jessie

Gamplayerx

I just watched Planet Terror - didn't realize when I started it that it was part of Grindhouse.  So, I'm about to start Death Proof.  I usually don't like Rose McGowen, but damn she was hot in Planet Terror.

Gamplayerx

Beefy

I still say Death Proof was better than Planet Terror.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on March 24, 2008, 06:45:40 AM
I think they were so different, it's hard to judge it that way.  Planet Terror was so much fun, but Death Proof was kickass.  Well, Death Proof was kickass except for all the talk talk talk talk talk.

Jessie

Quote from: Jessie on March 24, 2008, 07:41:24 AM
Quote from: Beefy on March 24, 2008, 06:45:40 AM
I think they were so different, it's hard to judge it that way.  Planet Terror was so much fun, but Death Proof was kickass.  Well, Death Proof was kickass except for all the talk talk talk talk talk.
Hmm I guess I did judge them together before though.

Egg on my face!

swolt

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 24, 2008, 06:06:10 AM
Death Proof, meh.

I felt the same. If they cut all the useless talk out it would have been an awesome 45 minute movie. I got too bored before the car chase at the end.

Planet Terror, on the other hand, is one of my all time favorites.

swolt

Now that I think about it I might not have a fair opinion of Death Proof because I was distracted by Beefy slowly running popped kernels across his lips before placing them gently in his mouth. Beefy doesn't eat popcorn so much as make love to it.

VikingJuice

Quote from: swolt on March 24, 2008, 08:01:17 AM
Now that I think about it I might not have a fair opinion of Death Proof because I was distracted by Beefy slowly running popped kernels across his lips before placing them gently in his mouth. Beefy doesn't eat popcorn so much as make love to it.

<<snicker>>

I know what you mean.

eo000

This could be the best thing to come from all this.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/11773

QuoteDanny Trejo Updates 'Machete'
Sunday, March 30, 2008

By: MrDisgusting

We ran into Danny Trejo at this past weekend's HorrorHound Weekend in Indiana where the popular genre actor told Bloody-Disgusting that Robert Rodriguez is still working on getting Machete off the ground and that he hopes the director will be ready when he finishes another project he is currently working on. He also confirms that Rodriguez will in fact direct the film, and not just produce it. In addition, Trejo breaks the news that Dimension Films is looking to turn MACHETE into a trilogy! Watch for more on this as it develops. After being betrayed by the organization who hired him, an ex-Federale (Trejo) launches a brutal rampage of revenge against his former boss.

Beefy

Also, Starz HD has been showing Grindhouse in its original theatrical cut, trailers and all.

Gamplayerx

Also, they have all the extras from the dvds on demand.

swolt

Quote from: Beefy on April 17, 2010, 01:55:16 PM
Hey Swolt...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2721&p=.htm

hell yeah! That's the day before sara's birthday, I'll take her to see it