News:

STFU & GBTW

Main Menu

Otep

Started by Alice, February 16, 2007, 10:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

Anyone heard of Otep?

A friend of a friend of mine just became their guitarist and is going on tour.  Apparently they're pretty big, but I've not heard of them.  :-\ 

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

I haven't, but I don't listen to much death metal.

BigDun

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 16, 2007, 10:48:30 AM
* BigDun peers around in forum to see where Beefy is...
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on February 16, 2007, 10:27:30 AM
Anyone heard of Otep?

A friend of mine just became their guitarist and is going on tour.  Apparently they're pretty big, but I've not heard of them.  :-\ 
'

Tell your friend to watch out.  After looking at Wikipedia, it looks like they go through guitarists like Spinal Tap goes through drummers.

Gamplayerx

The first minute and a half were okay.

Beefy

Quote from: BigDun on February 16, 2007, 11:27:12 AM

I don't think I listen to any death metal.  The only thing I have that comes close is Slayer, I think, and the two tapes I have are really old.

BigDun

Quote from: Beefy on February 21, 2007, 07:48:26 PM
Quote from: BigDun on February 16, 2007, 11:27:12 AM

I don't think I listen to any death metal.  The only thing I have that comes close is Slayer, I think, and the two tapes I have are really old.
I wouldn't be able to recognize the difference between death, speed, or... um... good(?) metal if I had to.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Beefy

I think you can classify death metal as a subgenre of speed metal.  I've not really ever heard much death metal to get excited about.  The allure of listening to Slayer when I was young was more from the rebellious side of things.  And from the fact that those f*ckers were hard and fast.

dc

Quote from: Beefy on February 21, 2007, 08:39:06 PM
I think you can classify death metal as a subgenre of speed metal.  I've not really ever heard much death metal to get excited about.  The allure of listening to Slayer when I was young was more from the rebellious side of things.  And from the fact that those f*ckers were hard and fast.

When it first started, the death metal bands weren't really speed metal.  Slayer and a few others like Venom really got the genre moving, though, and they were speed.  But bands like Cirith Ungol who kind of started it all (Black Sabbath could probably be considered the original one) were more ponderous with dark lyrics.  Slayer took the rebellious aspect to it and added the speed and satanic references and gained a larger audience.  Not much to be excited about unless you're a thirteen year old boy.

Jessie

Carroll knows and likes Otep.  Just for the record.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.