News:

A child can go only so far in life without potty training. It is not mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.

Main Menu

Domain Geek Question: Help me think "outloud"

Started by Infobahn, January 21, 2007, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infobahn

I have a domain:  gotsleep dot com

I had meant to use it for my old company, before we were bought out.  It really isn't want the new company would want.

I have been offered money for it by an outside party, who contacted me by e-mail.  This person/company also owns http://healthpages.com/

I thought it was a scam (I am still skeptical).  They have been persistent.  I had a price in mind, and have held firm.  They first offered me $700, then $1000, then $3600, then finally agreed to my price of $5000.

Okay, that's a lot of money.   They also agreed to my demand of using escrow.com for the sale.

A) I think I am asking a decent price for something someone else can use to make money.  Any reliable source of domain values?  Godaddy valued it at between $130 and $240.

B)  Could I make more money by throwing Google ads on it over time?

C) I think I am protecting myself by using escrow.com - any thoughts?  Heard anything negative?

D) STFU and let the deal go through?

BigDun

I have heard of a site that would do escrow transactions and other sites that simulate what the escrow site does. I can't remember what is the url of the real escrow web site and what is the url of the scammer. I would search Google News to see if escrow.com is the real site.

With all the non-addictive sleep medicines coming to market, you might be able to hold out and sell it to a pharma for six figures. Or maybe not. Tough call.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

Five Large isn't bad, but I can't help but think you could do better.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Infobahn

dc

escrow.com is a legitimate site.  They're licensed, and the only site that EBay recommends for escrow transactions.  I've never used them, though.

meredith

Infobahn

Cool, thanks DC and Hatt.

I am still wondering if I am giving up too much.

nishi

i would wonder what the healthpages person/business is planning. it's not like what they've got up for healthpages is that hot, so they must have some way of generating revenue through that crappy and useless site - enough revenue that your domain is worth $5000 to them. so - whatever it is might generate more money for you over time either via google ads or through something similar to what they've got going (ads with better cover??). and in the meantime you could market it to pharms.

but that's a lot more work than walking away with $5000.

but i think you could get more for it.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

DownSouth

We all know I'm a computer retard and don't know anything about this stuff.  Is there a net worth of this company and their advertising budget?  Maybe you should try an outrageous counter offer and see how they respond.  They showed the interest.  Take advantage of that.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Infobahn

I am either going to do this deal, or walk away from them at this point.  I never had a "for sale" on the page, so this guy/company might be buying the domain and selling it to a pharma.

I am just afraid that I cam going to kick myself.

dc

You could get it appraised or put it up for auction at places like www.afternic.com/, www.sedo.com, www.tdnam.com/, or  www.enom.com/auctions

There are more out there.  If he's willing to pony up that much with a crap site, you may be able to get somebody with deeper pockets.

Bennyhana

I'd probably take the 5 grand, because that's a hell of a lot of money for something that, to you, is essentially worthless.  If you turn it down, you'll end up either doing more work, having to solicit someone to buy the domain (which, to me, sounds like a crappy thing to do), or get nothing.

DownSouth

Quote from: dc on January 21, 2007, 07:07:26 PM
You could get it appraised or put it up for auction at places like www.afternic.com/, www.sedo.com, www.tdnam.com/, or  www.enom.com/auctions

There are more out there.  If he's willing to pony up that much with a site, you may be able to get somebody with deeper pockets.
I'm going to have to agree.  If they keep raising the offer that fast than they have a certain desperation and a want the domain bad.  Still, go with your gut.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Infobahn

From Afternic...

GOTMONEY.COM has been sold!
[ View seller's listings ] [ Report a problem with this listing ]

Escrow Summary (for buyer and seller only)

Domain Name    GOTMONEY.COM / gotmoney.com
Seller    Dcabebef
Description    gotmoney.com is for sale.
Final Price    $7,500.00 USD
Category    All Categories / Uncategorized
Previous Offers    
Number of offers: 6 Offers
Last offer: $7,500.00 USD
Expires: n/a (Sold)  Offer history
Offered by: Mavrex

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Infobahn

Did I mention that I still have gotsleep.com?

The deal never went through, and I have had other offers, but nothing that got my attention.

Until now.  A domain/trademark company in LA contacted me and we agreed to a price and they are supposed to be starting a deal through escrow.com.

We will see if the deal goes through, this time.

I haven't done anything with the domain, and as much as I want to, we could use the money.

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

Good luck!

I could really use some gotsleep these days!

Infobahn

BigDun

Um... I'm very happy for but, you suck.

Anyone want itiltopia.com?

I'll sell it for only $15K. Bargan basement price if you ask whoever paid for Info's domain.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

Wow!  That's very exciting!

You should send us all cookies.  Real ones, not internet ones.

Gamplayerx

Ooh! I'll jump on that cookie train!

Congrats on the amazing payout, Infobahn!

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Infobahn

The check cleared.  Let's see what the government wants...

dazie