News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

So I watched it...

Started by ReBurn, January 17, 2007, 12:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

They have prescreens, and they obviously pull the really good, and the really bad.  Everyone else is just boring.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on January 19, 2007, 12:18:06 AM
I can get going with two wands and keep the stick alive for quite a while
I'll just bet you can.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on January 19, 2007, 09:39:24 AM
They have prescreens, and they obviously pull the really good, and the really bad.  Everyone else is just boring.

Agreed.  The problem is that everyone in the freaking country knows what this show is like.  You know before you audition how cruel they are, you know that they are going to mock you and insult you, and, frankly, you know if you're truly one of the bad ones.  That kid knew he couldn't sing and he knew that they were gonna be dicks.  All his histrionics were just bullshiat.  It's directed and manipulated and not even a little genuine.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on January 19, 2007, 10:07:14 AM
Quote from: Jessie on January 19, 2007, 09:39:24 AM

Agreed.  The problem is that everyone in the freaking country knows what this show is like.  You know before you audition how cruel they are, you know that they are going to mock you and insult you, and, frankly, you know if you're truly one of the bad ones.  That kid knew he couldn't sing and he knew that they were gonna be dicks.  All his histrionics were just bullshiat.  It's directed and manipulated and not even a little genuine.
The really bad ones know they're bad, they just want to be on tv. 

Gamplayerx

Sometimes you scare me a little.

Alice

What are all of those?  I can't get on myspace. :(

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on January 19, 2007, 10:49:21 AM
It's each of the pictured contestants' myspace pages.  Except that last one, that's some other page.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 19, 2007, 10:57:01 AM
It's each of the pictured contestants' myspace pages.  Except that last one, that's some other page.
I figured that - I just didn't know if it had something amusing on it.  Or if eo000 is just creepy and found myspace pages.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on January 19, 2007, 10:58:33 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 19, 2007, 10:57:01 AM
I figured that - I just didn't know if it had something amusing on it.  Or if eo000 is just creepy and found myspace pages.
I think he's just creepy.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

I wonder if people just instinctually walk to the other side of the street when they see him coming?  You know, like we do with black people.

Alice

DownSouth

One of my favorite things was how the contestants kept slamming into the locked door on their way out.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on January 19, 2007, 09:35:58 AM
I'm still not 100% convinced that it's all staged.  There are some really self delusional people out there.  I know like 5 of them, and I just live in Naperville.  I think some of them are defo staged - but I still believe a lot of them honestly think they can sing. And yeah, they make it through the prescreens so that there's something entertaining to watch on TV. 

Yeah.  Staged.  Honestly, though, if these people aren't actors (which I think they are), it's really a horribly cruel thing to let them through the prescreening just to get blasted on national TV by fucknuckle, tipsy, and jerkoff.

I guess I just really want to believe that they wouldn't be that cruel.

Beefy

Yeah.  Staged.  The guy's hissy tantrum didn't even come across as sincere, nor did his mom's attempts to placate him.  This show is directed just like The Real World.  Reality isn't compelling enough to sustain this show's ratings.

Jessie

I am more of the thought that it's staged in that the people are acting retarded to get on tv, more than that the directors are telling them how to act retarded.

This is the Willliam Hung generation.  They want to be him.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Jessie on January 19, 2007, 01:46:03 PM
I am more of the thought that it's staged in that the people are acting retarded to get on tv, more than that the directors are telling them how to act retarded.

anyone who wants to be William Hung needs to be shot on sight.

Beefy

While I concede that is probably some of it, my small time in the industry leads me to believe that there is no way the producers of the show would rely simply upon the delusional antics of some wannabes to keep their hefty paychecks coming in.  These people know exactly what sells and they are very careful to have each episode play out in exactly the way that they want.  The wannabes may play into that on their own to some level, but I guarantee you that it would be there regardless.  This show is a manufactured product, just like any "reality" TV show, and as such it is controlled and directed.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on January 19, 2007, 01:50:44 PM

While I concede that is probably some of it, my small time in the industry leads me to believe that there is no way the producers of the show would rely simply upon the delusional antics of some wannabes to keep their hefty paychecks coming in.  These people know exactly what sells and they are very careful to have each episode play out in exactly the way that they want.  The wannabes may play into that on their own to some level, but I guarantee you that it would be there regardless.  This show is a manufactured product, just like any "reality" TV show, and as such it is controlled and directed.
True, true.

I just don't see the participants as victims, unless they are of a mental status that keeps them from being aware of their actions.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on January 19, 2007, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Beefy on January 19, 2007, 01:50:44 PM

True, true.

I just don't see the participants as victims, unless they are of a mental status that keeps them from being aware of their actions.

Oh, they are most definitely not victims.  Anyone who goes on that show gets exactly what they deserve.  And are probably in on it on some level anyways.

Infobahn

William Hung knew he wasn't great, he truly wanted to have fun.  He is smart (UC Berkley Engineer) and has since taken his badness and made a good buck.

Heck, AI hired him this season to "warm up" the crowds at the auditions.

People want to be William Hung, but they don't understand what it takes to BE William Hung.  You have to be in on the joke.

Jessie

Quote from: Infobahn on January 19, 2007, 02:05:51 PM
William Hung knew he wasn't great, he truly wanted to have fun.  He is smart (UC Berkley Engineer) and has since taken his badness and made a good buck.

Heck, AI hired him this season to "warm up" the crowds at the auditions.

People want to be William Hung, but they don't understand what it takes to BE William Hung.  You have to be in on the joke.
Right.  Plus, something like that's really a one time deal.  William Hung was having a good time, not trying to be William Hung.

Jessie

BigDun

Every city but Memphis gets two hours?
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt