News:

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes thing more acceptable for awhile.

Main Menu

So...

Started by Gamplayerx, December 28, 2006, 10:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamplayerx

As you may or may not know, we're trying to ready our house for sale.  This involves lots and lots of money and people and disappointments.  Anyway, one of the things we're doing is replacing all of the windows and sliding glass doors because they're all original to the house and the seals have busted on ever single last one of them and they're really ugly.

I figured $3,000 - $5,000, because it's not that many windows.  6 moderate sized windows, 2 small windows, 1 large window, 2 sliding glass doors, a garden window, a casing and a half moon.  First estimate was $7390.  I balked.  We had the second estimate tonight.   $10,700+.  WTF?  It's windows!  It's not high art.

Okay.  I'm done venting.  Carry on.

BigDun

Don't get Pella. Even though they are very highly insulated window/sash systems, they are unbelievably expensive. Or maybe you should and pass on the cost of the new windows as part of the cost of the new house. Or you could just take out the windows and cover the holes with saran wrap.

Are you going to move into Grumpus' family beach house?

You should because we would practically be neighbors.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Alice

You need a friend that's a contractor.  I think that should be next on your agenda.  Put off selling the house for a year, make friends with a contractor - butter him/her up for a year then spring it on them.  They'll have to do it for beer.

meredith

alyssa could probably help you with contractors...

Gamplayerx

We're not getting Pella.  These estimates are for one step above builders grade windows.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 29, 2006, 07:09:54 AM
We're not getting Pella.  These estimates are for one step above builders grade windows.

Are they custom sizes?  Because putting in windows isn't rocket surgery, but customizing them at the factory is much more complicated.  I mean, I assume we're talking about double glazed, energy saving windows.

Gamplayerx

Two are custom.  And apparantly, because the old windows are metal, there's like an extra $150 to fit them for vinyl or take out the metal tracks or some other bullshit.

dazie

How much would it be if you took out the windows yourself?  Like with a rock?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on December 29, 2006, 09:36:00 AM
How much would it be if you took out the windows yourself?  Like with a rock?
Haha.  Tempting!

ReBurn

So go with builders grade.  What do you care?  You're selling it anyways.  They'll look new and the suckers new homeowners won't be able to tell.  All they'll know is that the windows are new.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

We used to make stained glass windows by melting crayon shavings in between wax paper - with an iron.  Make a bunch of those and call your house "Modern Gothic" or something.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ReBurn on December 29, 2006, 09:50:51 AM
So go with builders grade.  What do you care?  You're selling it anyways.  They'll look new and the suckers new homeowners won't be able to tell.  All they'll know is that the windows are new.
The house is too pricey to go all the way cheap. 

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 29, 2006, 09:34:48 AM
Two are custom.  And apparantly, because the old windows are metal, there's like an extra $150 to fit them for vinyl or take out the metal tracks or some other bullshit.

So they're just replacing the sashes on some of them?  Did their estimate break down the parts and labor?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 29, 2006, 10:04:02 AM

So they're just replacing the sashes on some of them?  Did their estimate break down the parts and labor?
No.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 29, 2006, 10:22:09 AM
Quote from: Bennyhana on December 29, 2006, 10:04:02 AM

No.

interesting.  I don't know how much windows cost, but that sounds high to me.  The 7 grand figure from the first place doesn't sound ridiculous, but 10?

Gamplayerx

The $10K guy broke it down for us when he was going over the prices, but didn't leave the breakdown with us.

But for a random window, it was like $501 for the window, and then $132 for the metal take out, and then labor.

dazie

Have you tried Home Depot?  They install...

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on December 29, 2006, 11:03:15 AM
The $10,000 guy IS Home Depot.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 29, 2006, 11:01:35 AM
The $10K guy broke it down for us when he was going over the prices, but didn't leave the breakdown with us.

But for a random window, it was like $501 for the window, and then $132 for the metal take out, and then labor.

I suspect the $10k guy didn't want the job.

dazie

FalloutBoy

Maybe you could start a new trend with the " boarded up look."

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 29, 2006, 11:04:00 AM

The only windows I see in the Home Depot Catalog (in this area) that are $500 are the sliding glass doors.  I think Home Depot didn't want the job.

Bennyhana

Quote from: FalloutBoy on December 29, 2006, 11:10:33 AM
Maybe you could start a new trend with the " boarded up look."

That's all the rage down here around 47th street.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 29, 2006, 11:10:40 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 29, 2006, 11:04:00 AM

The only windows I see in the Home Depot Catalog (in this area) that are $500 are the sliding glass doors.  I think Home Depot didn't want the job.
I think that Home Depot does so much bulk, that they don't care to price competitively.  I just looked at the website, and the only windows they have on there are really really crappy and they're still around $280 - $300 a piece, with no screen or gridding.

Gamplayerx

We got window guy #1 down to $6200, so it's a go.  I've still got sticker shock, but I think that's the best we're going to get.

Speaking of sticker shock, I just spent way, way, way too much money at Home Depot.

sapphirehart

I remember when Terry and I lived in his grandmother's old house after we first were married.  The windows were oversized, school house style with wooden frames.  We replaced all seven of the windows with double insulated glass with metal frames to get the house "winterized".    All of them were floor to ceiling custom size except the kitchen window over the sink.  It was still a custom size but it was only half the height.  We spent a small fortune on each of the windows and that was eighteen years ago.  Thankfully, Terry and his father were able to do all the labor themselves.

I feel your pain.

Gamplayerx

Yeah.  I had budgeted a maximum of $5000 for the windows.  I'll have to make that $1200 up somewhere.  I just don't know where.  I wonder how hard it is to install carpet yourself.  Hmm.  Maybe we should tile - I know how to tile.  People like tiled bedrooms, right?  But that's pricier.  Maybe laminate.  How hard could that be?

Do you think it would look really crappy to have hardwood in the hall and then pergo in the bedrooms?  Now that I think about it, I wonder how expensive it would be to pergo the entire basement instead of recarpeting.  Carpeting is probably the cheapest.  I think. 

Google confirms that carpeting is the cheapest.  Darn.

Nevermind me, I'm just musing.

Gamplayerx

This house is starting to get me down.  I'm sure I mentioned that our well failed and that we had to get a new well drilled (which was the beginning of the end).  Well, it still has yet to pass health department inspection.  So, the well company came out yesterday and chlorinated the well for the third time.  And today, joy of joys! it seems that the chlorine has eaten through the pipes.  So far, we've sprung 4 leaks.  There's chlorinated water everywhere, lots of stuff is ruined, the house reeks and we're going to have to replace at least most of the pipes in the house.

I must've done something bad in a previous life.

BigDun

Ouch. Can't you hold the company that dug the well accountable for putting in such a high concentration of chlorine?

Gamplayerx

I don't know.  I'm totally out of my element with all this house stuff.  I'm so disheartened.  I have no idea how much pipes cost to replace, but I certainly didn't budget for it.

On the plus side, the painters are done.  And only $1,375 over budget.   :-\ And the windows are being installed on the 5th.  My husband has decided that we can install carpet ourselves.

dazie

That sucks.  I wish I knew more about home repair.

Make sure you get those kneepad things if you install the carpet yourselves.

Gamplayerx

I need to make friends with some plumbers and contractors and electricians and generally handy people with lots of time on their hands. 

ReBurn

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 27, 2007, 05:39:42 PM
I don't know.  I'm totally out of my element with all this house stuff.  I'm so disheartened.  I have no idea how much pipes cost to replace, but I certainly didn't budget for it.

On the plus side, the painters are done.  And only $1,375 over budget.   :-\ And the windows are being installed on the 5th.  My husband has decided that we can install carpet ourselves.
I tried that once.  Never again.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 27, 2007, 05:39:42 PM

Does it have to be carpet?  Is there nothing else you can put there?  Tile?  Laminate floor?  Paint the plywood subfloor?  Print out pictures of carpet and glue them down?

Gamplayerx

It doesn't HAVE to be carpet except I've totally blown the budget with all this other stuff and carpet's cheap.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 28, 2007, 08:26:43 AM
It doesn't HAVE to be carpet except I've totally blown the budget with all this other stuff and carpet's cheap.

Please don't take this the wrong way.   Carpet may be cheap the first time, but when you realize that you need to buy more carpet and actually pay someone to come in and lay it down, you may change your mind.  Of course, carpet is way easier to undo than tile or printed pictures of carpet, so it may still be the way to go.

Beefy

Sorry you're going through all this, Gamperooni.  I hope it is all completed quickly and successfully.

BigDun

If you wanted to go with a laminate wood flooring, I would let you borrow my miter saw. We got it specifically to install the flooring in the bathroom of our last house. It makes the job pretty easy and quick.

I would even deliver it.

Alice

You need to find someone to sue for something.  Like McDonalds for drinking their coffee and burning your tongue.  You guys should go out walking when it's icy and slip on someone's unsalted sidewalk.  You'd make a lot of money.

Jessie

That is seriously sucky.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on January 28, 2007, 09:55:52 AM

Please don't take this the wrong way.   Carpet may be cheap the first time, but when you realize that you need to buy more carpet and actually pay someone to come in and lay it down, you may change your mind.  Of course, carpet is way easier to undo than tile or printed pictures of carpet, so it may still be the way to go.
He's installed carpet before - he used to work in construction way back when.  He swears he can do it.  I have my doubts, but we'll start off with the smallest room and see how that goes.  If it sucks, it shouldn't be too much to start over, that room is only like 8 x 10.  I'm still going to get installation estimates, though.

Thanks for that, Beefaroni.  :)

Thanks for the offer, CD - I'm pretty sure we have a miter saw, but we have hardwood floors upstairs and I think it would look weird to go to pergo - not to mention that I really like carpeting in bedrooms.

Alice, haha!  (although, I am tempted)

Thanks, Jessie.  It certainly is.

On the good news from the home front, between mopping up chlorine water today, we did install a new ceiling fan in the foyer (it's so pretty!) and the towel and toilet paper bars in the basement bath.  And no more new leaks have cropped up, so there is some positive progress.

dazie

After you get all this done you're not going to want to move!

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 28, 2007, 06:39:10 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on January 28, 2007, 09:55:52 AM

He's installed carpet before - he used to work in construction way back when.  He swears he can do it. 
Oh.  Well, if he's done it before AND wants to do it again, it'll be fine.  Most people I've talked to who have tried it react more like ReBurn.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on January 28, 2007, 07:12:03 PM
After you get all this done you're not going to want to move!
Oh, trust me.  I will still want to move.  But hopefully, I'll be moving with more cash in my pocket than I'm expending getting this money pit ready for sale.

Gamplayerx

Oh, great.  Master plumber Grumpus has now decided that he can replace the pipes himself.   ::)  I've known him for 16 years and in all that time, he has never once plumbed.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 29, 2007, 11:05:09 AM
Oh, great.  Master plumber Grumpus has now decided that he can replace the pipes himself.   ::)  I've known him for 16 years and in all that time, he has never once plumbed.

What kind of pipes are they?  Copper?  Steel?  PVC?  Just replacing pipes that are already there isn't too hard.

Gamplayerx

Copper.

I think he really just wants an excuse to buy a blow torch.

dazie

Plumbing is difficult, but not as difficult as electrical IMO.  I suggest a good "How to install plumbing" book.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 29, 2007, 11:11:13 AM
Copper.

So, was the chlorine eating through the pipes or through the solder joints?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on January 29, 2007, 11:17:10 AM
Copper.

The pipes.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 29, 2007, 11:18:04 AM
Quote from: Bennyhana on January 29, 2007, 11:17:10 AM
Copper.

The pipes.

Yikes.  I hope all of the leaks are in visible and accessible locations.  I also hope you have some recourse with the company who did it.

Alice

We need to get you a sob story so you can just call Ty.

JJ

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 27, 2007, 04:43:59 PM
This house is starting to get me down.  I'm sure I mentioned that our well failed and that we had to get a new well drilled (which was the beginning of the end).  Well, it still has yet to pass health department inspection.  So, the well company came out yesterday and chlorinated the well for the third time.  And today, joy of joys! it seems that the chlorine has eaten through the pipes.  So far, we've sprung 4 leaks.  There's chlorinated water everywhere, lots of stuff is ruined, the house reeks and we're going to have to replace at least most of the pipes in the house.

I must've done something bad in a previous life.

Is this the new house?!??! Are you sure it's not erosion corrosion?

Gamplayerx

This is the old house.  We haven't gotten it into a condition where it's saleable yet, seeing as we can't even get the well to pass the health department inspection.

BigDun

Where are you bathing? If the chlorine in the water is high enough to eat through copper pipes, don't showers kind of sting?

Is your hair green? 'Cause that would be cool.

Gamplayerx

Once the leaks started (you're supposed to let it sit in the pipes for 24 hours - but no way were we going to do that), we ran the water for about 12 hours and then we bypassed the pipes and ran the water directly out of the well for about 24 hours.  But the hose froze yesterday, so we had to just run the inside faucets.  The water is still testing positive for chlorine, but not very strongly.

Beefy

I'm so sorry Gamp.  I didn't know you lived in The Money Pit.

Gamplayerx

Neither did I.  If it's not one thing, it's three. 

Gamplayerx

The pipes are still leaking.

On the plus side, the painting is done, the new windows were installed today (they're so gorgeous!) and we have a dining room table.

Jessie

So this means the disassembled table that was there for so long is no longer?

BigDun

You should think about living there for a while now that it's all fixed up. Well, except for the pipes. I guess they still suck.

Gamplayerx

I don't want to live there.  I want to live here.

dazie

Bedroom-Master   29 x 13

Going to go bowling??

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on February 09, 2007, 09:49:57 AM
Bedroom-Master   29 x 13

Going to go bowling??
Isn't that awesome?

dazie

DownSouth

That house gives me the creeps.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Gamplayerx

Why?  The only thing creepy about that house is the kitchen counters.

Alice

Move out here.  You could get 2 or 3 houses like that for the same amount of money.

Beefy

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 09, 2007, 10:05:55 AM

I see what he's saying.  It's a combination of the angle of the shot and the lens that was used.  Gives it a haunted house vibe.

Gamplayerx

I would love to have a haunted house!

DownSouth

Quote from: Beefy on February 09, 2007, 10:14:13 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 09, 2007, 10:05:55 AM

I see what he's saying.  It's a combination of the angle of the shot and the lens that was used.  Gives it a haunted house vibe.
Yep.  The furniture kind of makes it worse too.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

Also, Mike Dunn is clearly a serial killer.

DownSouth

Quote from: Beefy on February 09, 2007, 10:19:57 AM
Also, Mike Dunn is clearly a serial killer.
Both of them are creepy too.  RUN GAMP!!!!

dazie

I like the sun porch.

Alice

...this house is ours...

dazie

...get ouuuuuutttt...

Gamplayerx

DownSouth

Gamplayerx

Biggest bitch under the sun.  Just a senile old hag really. Wouldn't be surprised if someone just got fed up and offed her. Know what I mean?

Gamplayerx

Plumber finally showed up today to assess the situation.  He says a bunch of pipes need to be replaced - all of the leaking ones and then the ones to and from the water heater and to and from the clothes washer.  Total estimate:  $400.  Which I think sounds awesome, since I had absolutely no idea what things like that go for and had braced myself for a couple of thousand.  Grumpus thinks it sounds high. 

Also, we got our dining room chairs today.  As soon as I get a rug, we'll have a proper dining room for the first time in 8 years.  Yay!

EDIT:  forgot to mention - the well passed health department inspection.  BIG YAY!!  (still have one more test to go, but yayayayayay!)

ReBurn

$400 for a plumber to replace anything is cheap.

Beefy

It's $50 off if he forgets to show some ass cleavage.

/yay for you Gamp!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Beefy on February 19, 2007, 10:10:45 AM

/yay for you Gamp!
He's absolutely gorgeous.  I'm not adverse to paying extra to see some ass cleavage. 

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 19, 2007, 08:07:28 PM
Quote from: Beefy on February 19, 2007, 10:10:45 AM

/yay for you Gamp!
He's absolutely gorgeous.  I'm not adverse to paying extra to see some ass cleavage. 

Make with the photographic proof already!

Bishamonten

So, why annapolis?  What are you going to do with your boat?  Will you have a pool in Annapolis?  Did you know I met Neshura in Annapolis?  We had our first date at a pie place... some little pie shack.  I got a boston creme pie... boston creme pies aren't pie... I didn't know that at the time.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 19, 2007, 10:56:08 AM
So, why annapolis?  What are you going to do with your boat?  Will you have a pool in Annapolis?  Did you know I met Neshura in Annapolis?  We had our first date at a pie place... some little pie shack.  I got a boston creme pie... boston creme pies aren't pie... I didn't know that at the time.
Because we like Annapolis (we being Fred - I like Bethesda way better).  We're going to junk it.  Yes.  No.  Mmm.  Boston cream.

DownSouth

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 19, 2007, 10:58:22 AM
Because we like Annapolis (we being Fred - I like Bethesda way better).  We're going to junk it.  Yes.  No.  Mmm.  Boston cream.
Is this because of the no bathroom thing?

Gamplayerx

We have bathrooms in Annapolis.

Bishamonten

Well now you know and knowing about me is the most important thing you can do.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 19, 2007, 11:13:29 AM

Interestingly, I met you for the first time in Annapolis.  We totally should've had pie.

eo000

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 19, 2007, 11:17:45 AM

Interestingly, I met you for the first time in Annapolis.  We totally should've had pie.
"three fourteen"

Jessie

You chatitards and your matching avatars!

ReBurn

Quote from: eo000 on March 19, 2007, 11:20:10 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 19, 2007, 11:17:45 AM

"three fourteen"
ha!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on March 19, 2007, 11:34:47 AM
You chatitards and your matching avatars!
You can have one too.

Gamplayerx

UPDATE:  we got the final Health Department certification a while ago, I just forgot to mention it - our water won't kill you!

Anyway, we rented a dumpster.  It arrived yesterday, so today was the first big throw stuff out day.   We also took back the doors.  And I fell down the stairs.  Luckily, just the last three stairs.  I'm a bit bruised and battered, but fine.  One cute thing, when I fell, Pong came to check out my situation, decided it was no good and ran to the door to call Grumpus.  Pong, cutely and unfortunately, can't meow.  But he really tried.

Jessie

Why can't he meow?

And yay for non liife threatening water.

Boo for bruised and battered.

Gamplayerx

I don't know.  He just sucks at it.  He can chirp and trill, but not really meow.  The only time he seems to be able to really belt out any noise is in the car, and then he screams.

BigDun

You should take poor little pong to cat speech therapist.