News:

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes thing more acceptable for awhile.

Main Menu

Silly stuff

Started by dazie, December 27, 2006, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

A friend who's a reporter (a real one) has a blog on the side- he just posted this challenge:

*Find the nearest book.
*Name the title and author.
*Turn to p. 123.
*Post sentences 6-8.
*Tag 3 more people.

Mine was pretty lame, but I got a kick out of some folks' answers.  So here we go...

Closest book? I'm at work. Corporate Express Office Products Sourcebook.

Page 123 (Calculators, desktop)

6-8

Display Angle Kick Stand Tilts Angled Tilts
Memory 4-key 4-key 4-key 3-key
Cost/Sell/Margin . . .

sorry. I have better books at home.

I tag dc, Alice and Jane.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

None of my books have that many pages, around here.

dazie

*lol*  yeah- mine were pretty slim on plot.  It was the office supply catalog or the Polycom AV Handbook.

Gamplayerx

Too bad you didn't tag me, or I'd have posted the following:

Quote"Would it give you a lot of pleasure?" said Zaphod, blearily.
"No."
"Nor me. So what's the point? Stop bugging me." Zaphod curled himself up.

dazie

You're reading neat stuff at work!!

Infobahn

Closest Book?  Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Page 123: Today's Special

This is what we have been reduced to.  Hugh blows the yucca pollen off his blackened shrimp while I push back the sleeves of my borrowed sport coat and search the meat tower for my promised potatoes.  "There they are, right there." Hugh uses his fork to point out what could easily be mistaken for five cavity-riddled molars.

Tag Jessie, Gamp, JJ

skye

Even more fun if you run the quotes through voice recognition software first. Last time I tried training Dragon Naturally Speaking by reading into it, it turned "a dense arrangement of girders and catwalks" into "a den arrangement of perverse Catholics"

Infobahn

Quote from: skye on December 27, 2006, 05:50:13 PM
Even more fun if you run the quotes through voice recognition software first. Last time I tried training Dragon Naturally Speaking by reading into it, it turned "a dense arrangement of girders and catwalks" into "a den arrangement of perverse Catholics"
I have Dragon (our Docs use it), but training it takes more time than I want to invest.

Jessie

The Diary of a Young Girl.

Anne Frank.

Still, I really ought not to write this, because it seems ungrateful and I've certainly been exaggerating.  But still, whatever you think of me, I can't keep everything to myself, so I'll remind you of my opening words -- "Paper is patient."

When someone comes in from outside, with the wind in their clothes and the cold on their faces, then I could bury my head in the blankets to stop myself thinking:  "When will we be granted the privilege of smelling fresh air?"

Kind of a downer...

I tag Reburn, Beefy, and eieio.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on December 27, 2006, 05:43:49 PM
You're reading neat stuff at work!!
Yeah.  Good thing I didn't try from home.  The closest book to me right now is the yellow pages.  :)

VikingJuice

*Name the title and author.

Extended Massive Orgasm: Steve and Vera Bodansky

*Turn to p. 123.
*Post sentences 6-8.

"As we stated earlier in the book, sometimes you may go directly to the clitoris, even skipping the genital lubrication and putting a little lubrication on your finger instead before you start to bring her up.  But it's fun to tease her first and tease here again at any point in the "do" when you feel you want to make her come toward you."

dc

The closest book to me didn't have that many pages, so I'll read the beginning of it to you:

"'MICHAEL! There's a bear outside!' said Karl.
'A what?' called Michael.
'A bear.  He's really big.  And he's in the backyard.'
'What's he doing?' Michael asked.
'He's sitting.  He has an umbrella,' said Karl.

"Zen Shorts" by Jon J. Muth

Jessie

eo000

"the secret life of houdini: the making of america's first superhero"
by william kalush and larry sloman

Graff's lawyer then asked that the files be retrieved from Berlin and that the police commissioner testify.  The next day commissioner Riefer merely testified that he "had the impression that josephi wanted to say that such certifications in general can be obtained in fraudulent ways."
     There was no further mention of the bribing of Berlin police officials and no attempt at all to raise the issue of Houdini's commission of a crime.

tag DS, CD, and falloutboy

BigDun

From the book my wife was reading on the airplane back to Delaware "Grave Sight" by Charlaine Harris:

"After some warm-up stretches, I decided I'd run from the motel until I'd reached the Kroger that was at the other end of town. I didn't want to follow the main drag; even in Sarne, there'd be traffic, and I hated inhaling truck exhaust fumes. I had picked out a road that involved backstreets lined with small businesses and homes."

I tag skye, sapphirehart, and swolt.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

skye

"The Museum of Kitschy Stitches - A Gallery of Notorious Knits" by Stitchy McYarnpants (a gift from my brother, who knows I'm an avid knitter)

And what dapper gent wouldn't want to be caught dead in this spiffy tie? Worn correctly, this handsome neckpiece should ensure at least three feet of personal space at all times, and you'll never again be bothered by the kindness of strangers. No one *ever* helps a freak in a tie of this magnitude.

I don't yet know enough names to tag!!! umm....   Infobahn, CatchR, and Bennyhana (hope I got those right)

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on December 27, 2006, 06:36:37 PM
I tag Reburn, Beefy, and eieio.

QuoteDo you think we should thank the people?

The people?

The people who gave us all this.

Cormac McCarthy, "The Road"

I tag that dude over there, any guests lurking in this thread, and Charles Nelson Reilly.

Jessie

Quote from: skye on December 27, 2006, 11:01:21 PM
"The Museum of Kitschy Stitches - A Gallery of Notorious Knits" by Stitchy McYarnpants (a gift from my brother, who knows I'm an avid knitter)

And what dapper gent wouldn't want to be caught dead in this spiffy tie? Worn correctly, this handsome neckpiece should ensure at least three feet of personal space at all times, and you'll never again be bothered by the kindness of strangers. No one *ever* helps a freak in a tie of this magnitude.

I don't yet know enough names to tag!!! umm....   Infobahn, CatchR, and Bennyhana (hope I got those right)
I want to see this tie.

Alice

Quote from: skye on December 27, 2006, 11:01:21 PM
(a gift from my brother, who knows I'm an avid knitter)

Have you seen that animated short about the knitter?

skye

Quote from: Alice on December 28, 2006, 08:12:19 AM
Have you seen that animated short about the knitter?

Unless you're talking about Gromit in Wallace & Gromit, nope. Got a link?

Jessie, here's the tie. I was gonna knit one for BigDun for Xmas, but for some reason he said he'd pass.

Jessie

Gamplayerx

But that tie is quite lovely.  BigDun is obviously bat shiat crazy.

sapphirehart

It was a toss up between this excerpt and the Webster's dictionary.

Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
Robert C. Atkins, M.D.

When you suddenly stop eating a food or ingredient you are used to, as you do when you start Atkins, you may experience withdrawal.  Common offenders are caffeine, sugar, wheat and other foods capable of quickly changing bloodsugar levels.  Withdrawal symptoms vary widely, ranging from fatigue, faintness and palpitations to headache and cold sweats.

dazie

Hah!  That's great.  Reminds me of me when I get going.  I lug my bag-o-yarn wherever I go, claiming that it's a "portable hobby"

The fact that the bag is the size of a child means nothing.  NOTHING I SAY!

Bennyhana

Nearest Book: "The Complete Book of Sewing Shortcuts" by Claire B. Shaeffer"

6-8:

"Hold the Gathers flat while stitching with your index and third finger placed on either side of the presser foot.  Do not move your fingers while the macine is in motion.  Hold the fabric behind the presser foot firmly with your other hand."

I tag Charmed, Listener, and Dottie.

Jessie

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 28, 2006, 12:58:21 PM
Nearest Book: "The Complete Book of Sewing Shortcuts" by Claire B. Shaeffer"

6-8:

"Hold the Gathers flat while stitching with your index and third finger placed on either side of the presser foot.  Do not move your fingers while the macine is in motion.  Hold the fabric behind the presser foot firmly with your other hand."

I tag Charmed, Listener, and Dottie.
heh.

skye

Alice, thanks for the laugh! I just watched the short. The really sad thing is when she threw her needles off the cliff, I wanted to yell "nooooooo!!!!!". Hmmm. I am not a knitting addict. I am not a knitting addict. Shut up BigDun. I am not...