News:

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes thing more acceptable for awhile.

Main Menu

the house painting - a work in progress

Started by nishi, April 10, 2005, 10:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

Quote from: dc on April 11, 2005, 08:57:17 AM
Quote from: nishi on April 11, 2005, 08:42:02 AM
prayer flags are best if they're at the highest point around, but it's also ok to hang them in what basically becomes "the highest point you can reach without killing yourself". the higher you hnag them the more wind moves through them, and the farther the prayers travel on the backs of the wind horses.....

i used to be able to tell the pizza delivery guy, or someone coming to my house for the first time, "it's the only house for blocks with tibetan prayer flags". but the eldest son of the family at the end of my street is now studying at a monastery in dharamsala and their yard is FILLED with prayer flags - it's very nice to see, especially given the attitude of many of the other neighbors ("oh look! here's another little corner of space! let's put on another 2-story addition!")

Ah, the prayer flags.  You may have thwarted our earlier attempt to get them, but we'll try again ....  Those flags will be ours.

i saw one of your minions poking around at them the other day, squirrel boy. i have new surveillance equipment....
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

Whenever I get a new place, y'all gotta come down and help me get my feng shui groove on.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

nishi

Quote from: ignom on April 11, 2005, 09:06:18 AM
Whenever I get a new place, y'all gotta come down and help me get my feng shui groove on.

you bet!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dc

Quote from: nishi on April 11, 2005, 09:01:47 AM
Quote from: dc on April 11, 2005, 08:57:17 AM
Quote from: nishi on April 11, 2005, 08:42:02 AM
prayer flags are best if they're at the highest point around, but it's also ok to hang them in what basically becomes "the highest point you can reach without killing yourself". the higher you hnag them the more wind moves through them, and the farther the prayers travel on the backs of the wind horses.....

i used to be able to tell the pizza delivery guy, or someone coming to my house for the first time, "it's the only house for blocks with tibetan prayer flags". but the eldest son of the family at the end of my street is now studying at a monastery in dharamsala and their yard is FILLED with prayer flags - it's very nice to see, especially given the attitude of many of the other neighbors ("oh look! here's another little corner of space! let's put on another 2-story addition!")

Ah, the prayer flags.  You may have thwarted our earlier attempt to get them, but we'll try again ....  Those flags will be ours.

i saw one of your minions poking around at them the other day, squirrel boy. i have new surveillance equipment....

Did I say "get them"?  I misspoke.  You misunderstand our intentions.  We're just trying to add to them, that's all.....

dazie

Party at our house in Kansas WHEN we buy it.  :)
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

nishi

i love it so much! every time i drive up or go outside, i'm so happy! and the colors were fun to paint with because they're so pretty. you get that nice 'my eyes are saturated with color' feeling..... or anyway - *i* do.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

;D

Our homeowners association would have a fit if we did that.  Stupid boring homeowners association.

nishi

yes, somehow we do not have a homeowners association in this neighborhood.

they probably thought they didn't need one.....

;D
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

sapphirehart

Quote from: nishi on April 12, 2005, 06:23:23 AM

;D

okay, now that comment made me laugh.

nishi, are you going to paint the rest of the house, as well? if so, what colors?

nishi

Quote from: sapphirehart on April 13, 2005, 12:05:42 PM
Quote from: nishi on April 12, 2005, 06:23:23 AM

;D

okay, now that comment made me laugh.

nishi, are you going to paint the rest of the house, as well? if so, what colors?

actually i realized last night that one of the reasons that we don't have a homeowner's association is that most of my neighbors would not want one. we live in a very old and architecturally diverse neighborhood, and many of my newer neighbors have moved into perfectly beautiful homes on good sized lots and added on story additions, converted garages, built extensions.... basically fucked the architectural integrity of these homes in ways that no homeowner's association would ever allow. my paint may be bright, but it's paint.

no, the parts of the house that are white will stay white - that's siding. once the weather clears, though, i'll get some pictures from the side, so you can see it with the garage - then, the colors are even better. plus - the garden's not in yet! all summer i have these enormous patches of bright pink cleomes that get about 4 feet tall, and deep purple morning glories all over, and these beautiful brazilian sage bushes that grow to about 3 or 4 feet and are covered with deep cobalt blue flowers. yay!!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Dry then Catch

is it considered a faux pas to steal someone else's prayer flag as a prank?  Or play capture the flag?

ok i'll stop...

The painting looks great and I love the flower lined path to the house.. What is the stone your house is made of called?

ReBurn

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on April 13, 2005, 12:40:49 PM
The painting looks great and I love the flower lined path to the house.. What is the stone your house is made of called?
Stone?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

nishi

Quote from: ReBurninator on April 13, 2005, 01:10:46 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on April 13, 2005, 12:40:49 PM
Stone?

it's limestone. a lot of the houses in the neighborhood are limestone, since the stone was quarried about 3 blocks from where my house is now. the quarry itself was converted to a private swim club about 75 years ago. this is what that quarry looks like now:

-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nishi

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 13, 2005, 03:42:14 PM
That is a pretty frickin awesome pool!

it is easily the most astounding pool i have ever seen. it is enormous (both the area on the right, and the lighter blue area toward the top of the picture are both olympic size pools, and you can see that they are nowhere near the largest part of the thing) - my guess would be that it covers the area of at least 7, if not 8 olympic size pools. plus, it's just beautiful, especially late in the summer at twilight.

however, because there is SO much water, it does take a while for the thing to warm up after memorial day....

-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nishi

depending on where you are in the pool, anywhere from 3 - 12 feet deep.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

nishi

Quote from: jessie on April 13, 2005, 08:06:53 PM
Nishi, where is that place?

from how you got to my house, if you go straight on trevilian toward bardstown road instead of turning right on dundee, it's about 2 blocks up on the right. there is a stone gatehouse and that's pretty much all you can see from the street.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.