News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

OldBoy

Started by swolt, August 15, 2006, 11:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

Wow. This movie is seriously fucked up. I highly recommend it for you, Beefy and Daniel, but not for anyone else.
I found this far more chilling than Hostel.

I also saw on IMDB they are making an American version.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Beefy

Be sure to hunt down the other two, Swolt.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

swolt

doh! I thought for sure I would have been the only one to have seen it.

I dreamed about it last night. fucking scary.

Beefy

Quote from: swolt on August 16, 2006, 08:42:37 AM
doh! I thought for sure I would have been the only one to have seen it.

I dreamed about it last night. fucking scary.

Think of how that octopus must feel!

ReBurn

I thought you were talking about this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326900/

At least until I RTFA.  Now I'm like d'oh!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

Why can't I watch it?

pumpkineye

I just have to say again and again, these movies are so amazingly good.

Beefy

Quote from: pumpkineye on August 16, 2006, 12:28:06 PM
I just have to say again and again, these movies are so amazingly good.

I could just sit and watch the opening credits of Lady Vengeance over and over again, it's so wonderful.

Also, PE, have you seen ElectricDragon 80000Volts yet?  It's worth a watch.  Short and fun.

pumpkineye

no i haven't, i'll put it on our list of things to watch!

swolt

Quote from: Alice on August 16, 2006, 09:24:34 AM
Why can't I watch it?

you CAN watch it, I'm just not sure you would like it. I knew Beefy and Daniel would like it.

Beefy

Quote from: swolt on August 16, 2006, 03:16:34 PM
Why can't I watch it?

you CAN watch it, I'm just not sure you would like it. I knew Beefy and Daniel would like it.

I more than like it.

The performance in that film alone reminds me why most "actors" in the U.S. are really just stars and not really actors.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Mxyzptlk on August 16, 2006, 03:37:32 PM
Why can't I watch it?

I more than like it.

The performance in that film alone reminds me why most "actors" in the U.S. are really just stars and not really actors.

I could watch Choi Min Sik in anything.  Anything.  I'd watch him if he made a one man show remake of "Micheal Bay's Pearl Habor."  What's surprising is that everyone in the film puts out a fanfuckingtastic performance.  I'm constantly amazed by that film.  Acting, directing, music, everything is top notch.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Llama face on August 16, 2006, 03:37:32 PM
Why can't I watch it?

I more than like it.

I shouldn't argue numbers, but I would say that there are more actors than stars in the US, you just don't know them because they're not famous.  Usually.  But you're right.  Why cast someone who can act the part when you can cast someone who is the part?  And why bother doing that when you can just write the part for someone who is the part?

Beefy

Quote from: Bennyhana on August 17, 2006, 04:00:58 PM
Why can't I watch it?

I more than like it.

I shouldn't argue numbers, but I would say that there are more actors than stars in the US, you just don't know them because they're not famous.  Usually.  But you're right.  Why cast someone who can act the part when you can cast someone who is the part?  And why bother doing that when you can just write the part for someone who is the part?

You are correct, it's just that the minority of "actors" the majority of Americans get exposed to tend to be stars, not actors.  That could be fixed by attending more theater and independent films.  Of course, if everyone moved to those things, then the stars of those things would be come the stars we all see and the cycle would repeat itself.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Llama face on August 17, 2006, 04:18:40 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on August 17, 2006, 04:00:58 PM
Why can't I watch it?

I more than like it.

You are correct, it's just that the minority of "actors" the majority of Americans get exposed to tend to be stars, not actors.  That could be fixed by attending more theater and independent films.  Of course, if everyone moved to those things, then the stars of those things would be come the stars we all see and the cycle would repeat itself.

Watch Deadwood - it's full of the best actors you can find

Dry then Catch

Just saw it.  There was so much internet hype, I didn't know if it could live up the expectations.

I thought the high school grudge thing really sort of cheap and juvenille.  INCEST INCEST INCEST.   the hammer scene was pretty awesome though.  did the hammer symbolize something?  His impulsive libido?  If I tried to have sex with some stranger on the toilet and she refused, I doubt she'd be that cool with it afterward   drunk

Listener

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 11, 2006, 02:34:59 AM
Just saw it.  There was so much internet hype, I didn't know if it could live up the expectations.

I thought the high school grudge thing really sort of cheap and juvenille.  INCEST INCEST INCEST.   the hammer scene was pretty awesome though.  did the hammer symbolize something?  His impulsive libido?  If I tried to have sex with some stranger on the toilet and she refused, I doubt she'd be that cool with it afterward   drunk

Why would you want to have sex on the toilet?  Doesn't that imply that at least one participant just used the toilet?

swolt

Quote from: Listener on September 11, 2006, 11:54:18 AM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 11, 2006, 02:34:59 AM

Why would you want to have sex on the toilet?  Doesn't that imply that at least one participant just used the toilet?
in the movie he tries to rape her while she is on the toilet. It's not hot.

Alice

Wow.  This was incredible!

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on November 10, 2006, 03:40:12 PM
Wow.  This was incredible!

Somehow I found the ending to be somewhat unsatisfying given the build up. 

but yeah I guess after being locked in a room for over a decade then being psychlogically conditioned to have sex with your now grown daughter everything else seems sort of tame.