News:

04/07/05 1000th thread provided by Cnamon! This isn't really JuntoOnline. It's CnamonOnline!

Main Menu

major house projects

Started by nishi, April 07, 2005, 03:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

so. i live alone, in a house that used to belong to my grandparents that is far too big for one person. but it's where i live and i love it very much.

but, as i'm sure you all know, house projects can build up and totally get away from you, which is what has happened to me.

to rectify this situation, i am planning a series of large and small parties over the next several weeks, where i will provide drinks and food and - of course - charming company, and people i know and love will come and help me tackle this stuff, beginning a spring and summer of trading off working on each others' houses and gardens.

this weekend, we're painting the parts of the house that need painting, and finishing the unfinished sides of my beautiful tibetan buddhist garage. we're starting saturday morning, there will be plenty of beer, and when it's too dark to paint, we're going to be playing druken ping pong in my garage.

and since i have a new camera, i'll be posting pictures of our progress. also the ping pong.

what kind of house projects have you been putting off?
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ReBurn

Man!  I would come help if I lived closer.  That sounds like fun!

I need to mow my lawn.  It was too wet last weekend to do it.

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Mr. SM Holocaust

Funny you should mention that...remember when my roommate did all those changes? He never finished them, so I have two weeks to remodel the hall and the kitchen and finish the dining room, living room and master bedroom.

So far I have done:
The kitchen ceiling

Painted the kitchen walls:

And laid a new base floor for the hallway:

Gamplayerx

Every single room in our house has at least one unfinished project.  And then there's outside.

On the plus side, we're opening the pool May 8th.  Yay!

eo000

reflooring the kitchen and dining room. painting both bathrooms, and starting a big ass garden out back behind the bushes.

Bishamonten

cnamon

We tore down 2 walls in our bedroom in January.  We are now soundproofing and finishing it up this week.  We are also going to put bamboo on the back wall as kind of a headboard thing.

We have a couch picked out for our living room, but we have yet to go buy it.  We are also looking for a nice bamboo chair to go with it.  We are also looking for the perfect dining table.

We are also going to put a brick walkway in the backyard.

cnamon

Oh!  And I want to put a stained glass window above my front door.  That is going to be the hardest, in my opinon.

ignom

Quote from: nishi on April 07, 2005, 03:58:03 PMwhat kind of house projects have you been putting off?

Buying one.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

nishi

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 07, 2005, 04:04:28 PM
Every single room in our house has at least one unfinished project.  And then there's outside.

On the plus side, we're opening the pool May 8th.  Yay!

yes. every room in the house has at least one very large unfinished project. currently, most of those involve spackling, sanding and painting. in fact, every room needs painting - some just need it more than others.

trading house projects with friends makes things much more fun, though. i just have a lot of trouble getting motivated to do all that work by myself. having other people around makes a big big difference. some things - like interior painting - i have a lot more luck with on my own. but last weekend a friend helped with a plumbing project. if i had been doing it alone, i would have lasted 25 minutes and then given up and waited until i could afford a plumber. who needs a bathroom sink? no one. there's a perfectly good bathtub right there.

but he is one of those determined types and so, five hours and 3 trips to home depot later, i have a working bathroom sink.

SMH - i love that orange in your kitchen!!!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

nishi

Quote from: eo000 on April 07, 2005, 04:04:57 PM
reflooring the kitchen and dining room. painting both bathrooms, and starting a big ass garden out back behind the bushes.

flooring, i'm no good at. gardening? i know a lot about gardens.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Mr. SM Holocaust

Quote from: nishi on April 07, 2005, 04:13:19 PM

You know, I could still use a drum-playing roommate,

*wiggles eyebrows seductively*

nishi

Quote from: Mr. SM Holocaust on April 07, 2005, 04:15:21 PM
Quote from: nishi on April 07, 2005, 04:13:19 PM

You know, I could still use a drum-playing roommate,

*wiggles eyebrows seductively*

i thought you had a roomate!! although i understand that a drum playing roomate who is currently between projects is MUCH more attractive than just any old roomate.....
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

SMH, that is almost the exact color blue as my bedroom.  I love it.

That orange is great too...I think that may be my hallway color.

Mr. SM Holocaust

Quote from: nishi on April 07, 2005, 04:16:28 PM
i thought you had a roomate!! although i understand that a drum playing roomate who is currently between projects is MUCH more attractive than just any old roomate.....

His body wouldn't be the first to be dumped in the Delaware.

I would LOVE to see you in a major city on a coast. I think that you would just blossom here.

No disrespect intended to my midwestern bretheren...oh wait, yeah, I did just piss in your faces, didn't I? Sorry.

nishi

Quote from: Mr. SM Holocaust on April 07, 2005, 04:19:17 PM
Quote from: nishi on April 07, 2005, 04:16:28 PM

His body wouldn't be the first to be dumped in the Delaware.

I would LOVE to see you in a major city on a coast. I think that you would just blossom here.

No disrespect intended to my midwestern bretheren...oh wait, yeah, I did just piss in your faces, didn't I? Sorry.

wait. let me see if i can find them a hankie.....
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

Quote from: nishi on April 07, 2005, 04:13:46 PM

the area behind our shrubs is about 10 yards deep and about 25-30 yards long.  I'd like to use at least half of that for a garden.

nishi

Quote from: eo000 on April 07, 2005, 04:21:22 PM

the area behind our shrubs is about 10 yards deep and about 25-30 yards long.  I'd like to use at least half of that for a garden.

how much sun does it get?

what time of day does it get sun?

what kind of stuff is growing there now?

it sounds like a good spot for a garden. i'm assuming you want vegetables and flowers?
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

Quote from: nishi on April 07, 2005, 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: eo000 on April 07, 2005, 04:21:22 PM

how much sun does it get?    quite a bit

what time of day does it get sun?   from noon on

what kind of stuff is growing there now?  rhubarb, berries, ornimental grass, and weeds

it sounds like a good spot for a garden. i'm assuming you want vegetables and flowers? mostly just veggies. maybe some sunflowers. we've got flowers growing in other spots around the yard.

nishi

what kind of stuff is growing there now?  rhubarb, berries, ornimental grass, and weeds

it sounds like a good spot for a garden. i'm assuming you want vegetables and flowers? mostly just veggies. maybe some sunflowers. we've got flowers growing in other spots around the yard.

sounds like you're already off to a good start! what kinds of veggies do you want?
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

Quote from: nishi on April 07, 2005, 04:32:16 PM

sounds like you're already off to a good start! what kinds of veggies do you want?
don't know yet. i'm just sick of having that space, and not using it. seems like a waste.

Beefy

backyard garden.  definitely.

nallen

eo000 you should expand the munchkin village, I'm sure teh munchkins would rally to your side when teh inlaws invade.
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

Mr. SM Holocaust

Quote from: nallen on April 07, 2005, 04:54:17 PM
eo000 you should expand the munchkin village, I'm sure teh munchkins would rally to your side when teh inlaws invade.

Yes, I agree, real estate is the way to go.