News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

Brokeback Mountain

Started by dazie, January 07, 2006, 08:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

I liked it.  It was good.  I cried.  :)

More later, dinner time.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

BigDun

I hear it's a real tear jerker.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

I hear it is a real ball jerker.

dazie

Quote from: Infobahn on January 07, 2006, 09:09:35 PM
I hear it is a real ball jerker.

:hit:

It's very good.  Quite touching, and I'm trying to figure out how to write it up.  What surprised me though, is that the guy behind me seemed surprised at the whole thing.  WTF?  Where have you been dude??

dazie

OK.  I'm going to go with the technical aspects, since that's where there aren't any spoilers.

Visually amazing.  The scenery where they shot this film is fantastic, and the cinematography really matches it.  Ang Lee and his cameramen captured the grandeur of the wilderness AND the intimacy of the "smaller" scenes well.

I don't know if it was the sound system in the theatre that was lousy or the sound from the film or what, but there were times when it was very difficult to understand what the characters were saying.  Yes- Heath Ledger does mumble his way through the film, but it works for his character.

The supporting cast does very well.  I didn't recognize Randy Quaid at first, until he spoke.  I swear he put on 150lbs for this movie.  Anne Hathaway shows surprising subtlety in some of her scenes, but in others I found her pretty flat.  Ditto with the other girl who's name I forgot.  Michelle something?  There seems to be an awful lot of "stare blankly" written in to her character, and she pulls that off pretty accurately.

You all know the story, so there really isnt' anything I can say to add to that.  I do have a question to ask though, so if any of you DO see the film- let me know and we can discuss.

ignom

Quote from: dazie on January 07, 2006, 11:07:32 PM
I didn't recognize Randy Quaid at first, until he spoke.  I swear he put on 150lbs for this movie.

I doubt it was "for the movie."

Anne Hathaway shows surprising subtlety in some of her scenes, but in others I found her pretty flat.

Did she get naked?
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

dazie

Quote from: ignom on January 07, 2006, 11:16:20 PM
I didn't recognize Randy Quaid at first, until he spoke.  I swear he put on 150lbs for this movie.

I doubt it was "for the movie."

Anne Hathaway shows surprising subtlety in some of her scenes, but in others I found her pretty flat.

Did she get naked?

Partially naked.  Nice boobies.

Infobahn

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

I was surprised there were no protesters- I guess Fred Phelps had a funeral to go to.

ReBurn

It hasn't opened here, either.  I guess I'm going to have to wait for DVD.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ReBurn

Quote from: ReBurn on January 08, 2006, 04:38:19 PM
Or not!  We have a foreign, fine art and indie theater here that is going to be showing it soon.  So I'll get to see it aftre all.  Right now it is playing Munich, Syriana, and The Producers.  But next up is Brokeback Mountain, Bee Season, The White Countess, Mr. Henderson Presents, and Cache.  Most of those I know nothing about.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on January 08, 2006, 04:49:56 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on January 08, 2006, 04:38:19 PM
Or not!  We have a foreign, fine art and indie theater here that is going to be showing it soon.  So I'll get to see it aftre all.  Right now it is playing Munich, Syriana, and The Producers.  But next up is Brokeback Mountain, Bee Season, The White Countess, Mr. Henderson Presents, and Cache.  Most of those I know nothing about.

Cache is supposed to be really awesome.

Dry then Catch

Did Ang Lee insert any cameos from his other movies ala Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez?  IE did any medeval Chinese Cowboys fly through the air and perform martials arts against the Hulk?   

dazie

Dry then Catch

Quote from: dazie on January 08, 2006, 05:43:09 PM
NOt that I saw...

So did the film capture their time on the mountain, or was it one of those "going through life then flashbacks to the mountain"?  I am having trouble grasping what the basic plot is. 

dazie

No- it went basically from day 1.  Only 1 flashback, and that was 20 or so years later in the story.

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on January 08, 2006, 05:53:55 PM
Quote from: dazie on January 08, 2006, 05:43:09 PM
NOt that I saw...

So did the film capture their time on the mountain, or was it one of those "going through life then flashbacks to the mountain"?  I am having trouble grasping what the basic plot is. 

Tab A goes into Slot B at various times over several years.  Wives of Tab and Slot not happy.

ReBurn

More like Tab A and Tab E or something like that.

Mr. Ubiquity

Brokeback Mountain or Backdoor Mounting??  Im confused..... :???:

:evil:
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Dry then Catch

Quote from: dazie on January 08, 2006, 06:15:14 PM
No- it went basically from day 1.  Only 1 flashback, and that was 20 or so years later in the story.

for some reason I never thought you actually saw them on the mountain.  Like it was some mythical reference the whole time.  Thats who I would have written it. 

Has anyone see Ang Lee's The Ice Storm (socio-moral commentary on the 70s)?  I feel we have talked about this before (not to derail)

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on January 09, 2006, 02:33:30 AM
Has anyone see Ang Lee's The Ice Storm (socio-moral commentary on the 70s)?  I feel we have talked about this before (not to derail)

Yes.  Depressing film.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on January 09, 2006, 07:24:26 AM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on January 09, 2006, 02:33:30 AM

Yes.  Depressing film.

wasn't their a depiction of children having sex?   Where was the uproar over that?  I mean iirc it was showing the destructive end of beingn extremely socially and morally libertine. 

meredith

can someone lay this movie out in nice ikea style?