News:

mmmhhphh hmmph I chhoudnph hcjear youph wiff fis crunphing in my mouphthmph.

Main Menu

I need help selecting a sofa

Started by Dry then Catch, January 08, 2006, 05:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

Well, the old couch that I tried to clean and restuff (the one BigDun and I share in common) just seems worthless, saggy, lumpy and decolorized now. 

It's a shame too, the wood frame of the couch is still perfect and sturdy, its just the fabric sucks.  Unfortuantely, it would more than likely cost too much to reupholster as opposed to buying a new set.

I don't know what I want really.

My main requirement is durability.  My couches get a lot of use, and many a freeloader has slept on it.  I could care less if they are comfortable, I just don't want it beat up looking after a short time.  My dogs aren't allowed on the couches, but I KNOW they climb on everything when we are gone and the mere prescense of a pug brings shedding EVERYWHERE.  I've found that a lot of "showroom" furniture in high volume stores tend to look quite shit after a few weeks.  That tells me that piece of furniture cannot handle a moderate amount of stress and strain fatigue cycling on its material.  If the cushions get inevitably screwed up it would be nice to have them easily replaceable. 

As far as style goes, I'd rather have something timeless and classic looking.

I don't really care if its that comfortable. 

So once again durability, easy of cleaning, and generally unobtrusive classic look are my 3 main traits in a sofa. 
I don't need it super cheap, but I have no desire to spend a lot on a sofa. 

This probably will make Ikea useless.

PS I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I absolutely abhor those common leather couches, that are supposed to look overstuffed, but look cheap and very early 90s.  I think you know what I'm talking about.   Oh God I hope none of you have one and i just offended someone. 

cnamon

How much are you willing to pay?

What colors do you want?

dazie

Have you thought of a futon couch?  Not a shitty Wal Mart one, but a nice wooden frame one.  You can get different covers for them, some are washable and some are dry clean, but they're fairly low maintenance.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Dry then Catch

Quote from: cnamon on January 08, 2006, 05:47:58 PM
How much are you willing to pay?

What colors do you want?

I would just like a good deal.  I dunno maybe a $1,000 or so for the 3 piece sofa and a love seat.  Color?  Just some earth tone and again, nothing that stands out. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: dazie on January 08, 2006, 05:50:03 PM
Have you thought of a futon couch?  Not a shitty Wal Mart one, but a nice wooden frame one.  You can get different covers for them, some are washable and some are dry clean, but they're fairly low maintenance.

The nicest futon couches that I've seen are from Target  :(   I used to have one (inherited from some long forgotten roommate) and eventually the metal frame bent.  Can you find some examples of nice futons? 

cnamon

http://www.todaysfutons.com/catalog/mali-flex-futon.asp

Those are chic metal frame futons...very modern.

I am looking for a few more now and looking for couches that will fit your needs.

BigDun

If you want to pay for shipping, you can have ours.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Dry then Catch

Quote from: cnamon on January 08, 2006, 05:57:59 PM
http://www.todaysfutons.com/catalog/mali-flex-futon.asp

Those are chic metal frame futons...very modern.

I am looking for a few more now and looking for couches that will fit your needs.

Thanks, what do you think of that micro suede material?  Oh man whats the point I pretty much damage and destroy everything I own at a rate 5x greater than a normal person. 

Glasses less than 1 year
Average life of cell phone 4 months
CDs scratched in 2 months
Palm Pilot 8 months
Dog's left Eye 3 years

well you get the point

Dry then Catch

i just broke the cup i was drinking out of as i wrote this not joking

Dry then Catch

I suppose I should say I'm not neccessarily looking for suggestions of a particular sofa.  (though specific suggestions are more than welcome)

I just want to know how to evaluate it based on my 3 requirements.

Random examples,

How can I tell if this is the right (or not right) sofa for me? 

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15585&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=10958&langId=-1&parentCats=15585*15770*15945

or
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_14/602-2867907-8109427?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0002L71Q8

BigDun

You need to take my sofa off my hands.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: BigDun on January 08, 2006, 06:19:18 PM
You need to take my sofa off my hands.

I thought you said you loved to nap on it

BigDun

It's currently split up between two rooms upstairs. It hasn't been used regularly in five years.

cnamon

Personally, I wouldn't really buy major furniture from Ikea...especially of you are going to go through it the way you do.  I stick to Ikea for frames, art, and their wardrobe system.

The set from Target looks good.  Just make sure you get something durable and something that you like.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: BigDun on January 08, 2006, 06:22:36 PM
It's currently split up between two rooms upstairs. It hasn't been used regularly in five years.

you can put it on freecycle

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MemphisTNAreaFreecycle/

I got rid of a shed that way.  Just of course specify that they must be the ones to remove it. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: cnamon on January 08, 2006, 06:25:13 PM
Personally, I wouldn't really buy major furniture from Ikea...especially of you are going to go through it the way you do.  I stick to Ikea for frames, art, and their wardrobe system.

The set from Target looks good.  Just make sure you get something durable and something that you like.

how can i tell of it is durable?  What were the ones you were searching for?

BigDun

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on January 08, 2006, 06:26:04 PM

I got rid of a shed that way.  Just of course specify that they must be the ones to remove it. 

Interesting... We've been giving crap loads of stuff to Goodwill. I think I've made five runs to Goodwill since Christmas with the back of the Element full.

cnamon

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on January 08, 2006, 06:26:36 PM
Personally, I wouldn't really buy major furniture from Ikea...especially of you are going to go through it the way you do.  I stick to Ikea for frames, art, and their wardrobe system.

The set from Target looks good.  Just make sure you get something durable and something that you like.

You have to go to the store and test it out...that is the best way to see if you really like it.  I found my sofa online and then went to the Crate and Barrel showroom to test it out.  I think you should just look around and see what you like.  

Also, check craigslist to see if there is anything that you would like.  If your craigs is like ours, there will be a lot of Ikea for sale.  Used Ikea is not a good idea.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: BigDun on January 08, 2006, 06:31:27 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on January 08, 2006, 06:26:04 PM

Interesting... We've been giving crap loads of stuff to Goodwill. I think I've made five runs to Goodwill since Christmas with the back of the Element full.

Seriously, stuff I would have gladly taken to the dump I freecycle.   We have given away things you would have thought completely useless.  Torn, ancient computer chairs, barely workings CRT monitors and the people are ecstatic. 
Quote from: cnamon on January 08, 2006, 06:31:53 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on January 08, 2006, 06:26:36 PM

You have to go to the store and test it out...that is the best way to see if you really like it.  I found my sofa online and then went to the Crate and Barrel showroom to test it out.  I think you should just look around and see what you like. 

Also, check craigslist to see if there is anything that you would like.  If your craigs is like ours, there will be a lot of Ikea for sale.  Used Ikea is not a good idea.

Thanks, I was considering used IKEA.  Everyone was so happy when it came to Arizona, but now people are realizing its all a lot of useless showiness.

Is leather always easier to clean?  What are the downsides?

dazie

http://www.futonsstore.com/gatelysfutons/

This place looks like it has some cool stuff, plus there's free shipping.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

cnamon

I don't own any leather furniture, but I would say that fabric sofas that are Scotchguarded are a good thing. 

BigDun

Leather requires leather treatment about once a month or it dries out (and can crack). We use Strahldur's Lederbalsam on our leather chairs and they still look pretty good after five years.

Infobahn

I would look into MicroFiber or Leather.  MicroFiber, as I know it, is easy to clean - it is some sort of uberfabric.  Leather is good too, as long as you don't have pets with claws.

Have you thought of a slip cover for the current couch?  It is cheaper, and can be washed. 

http://www.surefit.net/

Jessie

That dog eye comment made me snort.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

sapphirehart

With three dogs in my house, I was terrified of buying a new sofa and loveseat until I found the Durapella fabric that is used on Ashley furniture.  I've been amazed at how easily the fabric cleans with just nutregena soap and water.