News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

i'm thinking of buying this

Started by nishi, November 17, 2005, 05:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

because my current sofa is beyond all hope.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/fur/111491714.html

she wants $500, which i'm not quite willing to pay (it's a year old and not very used and was about $900 new, since i was looking at it then). $450? i'm not very good at this kind of thing.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Seems very pricey for a used sofa that doesn't even have a built in recliner or cup holders.

cnamon

I really like it.  Ask where she purchased it.

I would say $450 is a good offer.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Dots on November 17, 2005, 05:15:55 PM
I really like it.  Ask where she purchased it.

I would say $450 is a good offer.
Says in the ad she got it from here.

Looks like you could about buy new for that price.

nishi

it's from westelm.com , whose furniture i really like. there's nothing really like it on the site right now.

i'm not much on recliners. i'm more of a chaise lounge kind of a girl...

it is expensive for used furniture. but it's from a slightly expensive new furniture place, so, i don't know.

i'll see it tomorrow night. i'll keep you posted.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

I couldn't find a couch that went with my vision for that price.

I would go for it.  It looks like a great nap couch.

nishi

the new sofas on the site aren't as long - more loveseat length. which is a possibility.

i wonder how low i could get this one for. especially since i wouldn't have to pay shipping and she lives about 2 blocks from me.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

my vision is mid-century - the last one, when we thought we'd all have flying cars someday - and it does suit that style.

so, it's got that going for it. also, one of my dining room walls is painted that color.

but gamp's right - it's a little high for year-old furniture. i'll have to see how 'used' it looks/feels.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

Try to go to $400.  I think since you live so close will be a good selling point.

cnamon

Is West Elm any way affiliated with Crate and Barrel?

cnamon

Nevermind...they are affiliated with Pottery Barn and Williams-Sonoma.

ReBurn

Offer $250.  If she refuses threaten to smack her with your pimp hand.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

She if it's looking like she's desperate to get rid of it.  Offer $300 if she is & tell her you'll take it right then and there.  I'm guessing she'll go for it.  She's probably just putting it at $500 because Xmas is coming up and she hopes she finds someone that won't do research on how much they can actually get it for.

Beefy

Have one of your dogs pee on it and then offer her $50.

Dry then Catch

its from craigs list so im sure a lot of gay anal sex has been had on it.
NTTIAWWT.  I put my car up on craig's list awhile back and all i know was backside was sore when i woke up. 

anyway, you really probably should check out the spring tension and the quality of the fabric in person before making an offer.  it looks pretty good htough

nishi

i checked it out. it's certainly not a $500 used sofa. the frame is very strong and will last a long time, and the padding is all still really firm and in the right shapes. the upholstery is actually missing one of the 'tuft' tucks right in the center, so she loses points there.

i'd say that it's a $350 sofa, but in $250 shape.

the thing is ENORMOUS, and perfect for my house. it is basically a twin bed with back rests. however, that means that you can't really *sit* on it - it's really a lounging kind of thing, which i like, but most people don't. mostly because i generally prefer pieces of furniture that allow me to lie down immediately should i be suddenly overtaken with sleep. it would require a lot of extra pillows and stuff along the back for other people to sit on it comfortably. it would be inexpensive to recover later if i wanted to, and would also be a perfect twin guest bed.

here's the up side - louisville is not exactly a craigslist/westelm/lavender retro platform sofa town. they moved this thing downstairs into the middle of their very nice living room so i could see it. so, until someone buys it, or they move it *back* upstairs - and this thing is not light AND they've been painting their new house, which makes furniture moving dangerous - they're at my mercy.

i told them that i really liked it, but that now i had to talk my partner into it - and by "partner", i mean you guys - and that he still wasn't sold on the idea of a lavender sofa. they immediately started politely scrambling to see when i might be able to let them know - they wanted it gone tonight. i should have carried $200 cash....

i'm thinking i'll let them walk around it in their beautiful living room for a day or so.

i'd like it, but... probably not more than $200 worth. i like it a LOT for $200.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

I'm going to email them right now and offer them $300 sight unseen, and then put it in storage for the next two months.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Dry then Catch

nishi

i just sent her this email:

hi -

i talked to my partner over the weekend - he just really isn't sold on it. i like it very much and would still be happy to take it, but since he and i were going to split the cost of it, i can only offer you my half, or $250. obviously, i know you want more than that for it. however, if you have difficulty selling it or you are just ready to get it out of your house, we can talk about it. i guess the only thing that i have to offer besides a much lower offer than what you want for it is that i have a truck and it could be out of your house in about 15 minutes.

i'm disappointed, because i really like the sofa. since i would think you could get more for it, i'm assuming it will sell. but, like i said - if anything changes, please let me know.

yeah. i lie like a bad rug. and since there's not an actual person around to play bad cop, i made one up. although one of my gay boyfriends would be more than happy to step in and act the part should that be necessary. i'll take him along to be generally scornful - but still helpful, since he'd be carrying it - if i end up getting it.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice

Can I please be your gay boyfriend?  I would like that very much.

Dry then Catch

If you need one of us to be your "partner" on the phone and drive a hard bargain...

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on November 21, 2005, 11:26:31 AM

jinxed sort of.

i want to be a straight boyfriend but with bad hearing and an unusal accent.  pick it

dazie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 21, 2005, 11:28:37 AM
Quote from: Alice on November 21, 2005, 11:26:31 AM

jinxed sort of.

i want to be a straight boyfriend but with bad hearing and an unusal accent.  pick it

You could be her lesbian girlfriend.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Dry then Catch

i changed my mind I want to be the crazy uncle.

Have you searched for similiar sofas on ebay Nishi?