News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

Hey computer people

Started by ignom, December 13, 2005, 08:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ignom

While my ibook is in the shop, I'm using Windows. I hooked up my dad's emachine (which is a Celeron with WindowsMe) because the Compaq I was using was just horrible. I had to install the ethernet card on here.

This one works better, but the internet starts to stall and freeze up after I visit a few pages, and I can only have one window open at a time or it drags.

Even other programs that have nothing to do with the internet take a while to load if I have the internet open. By "other programs," I mean Snood.

Is there something I can do to make this work faster and better? I already defragged the hard drive and got rid of anything I thought was unnecessary and might slow the computer down.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Mr. Ubiquity

its because your using a celery-ron by Intel.   Slow crappy processor.  Go back to using a typewriter until your ibook is back up and running.  It will be alot faster.   Or go way old fashion,   pen and paper.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

BigDun

Right click on the My Computer icon go into properties. Post how much memory it has.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

My computer had a Celeron processor, and while it isn't the fastest in the world, it's never really given me any trouble.

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Bennyhana

Quote from: ignom on December 13, 2005, 08:46:15 AM
While my ibook is in the shop, I'm using Windows. I hooked up my dad's emachine (which is a Celeron with WindowsMe) because the Compaq I was using was just horrible. I had to install the ethernet card on here.

This one works better, but the internet starts to stall and freeze up after I visit a few pages, and I can only have one window open at a time or it drags.

Even other programs that have nothing to do with the internet take a while to load if I have the internet open. By "other programs," I mean Snood.

Is there something I can do to make this work faster and better? I already defragged the hard drive and got rid of anything I thought was unnecessary and might slow the computer down.

What program are you using to browse?  Are you sure it's not infected with malware of some kind?

Jessie

He may be sleeping now, so your questions may take a while to be answered.  Just FYI.

ignom

Quote from: BigDun on December 13, 2005, 09:19:40 AM
Right click on the My Computer icon go into properties. Post how much memory it has.

A whopping 31.0 MB.

ignom

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 13, 2005, 09:21:43 AM
What program are you using to browse?  Are you sure it's not infected with malware of some kind?

Mozilla.

BigDun

Quote from: ignom on December 13, 2005, 09:23:13 AM

A whopping 31.0 MB.

I think we found your problem.

ignom

Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2005, 09:22:57 AM
He may be sleeping now, so your questions may take a while to be answered.  Just FYI.

I don't sleep.

Jessie

Quote from: ignom on December 13, 2005, 09:24:00 AM
Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2005, 09:22:57 AM

I don't sleep.

Fine, make a liar out of me.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: BigDun on December 13, 2005, 09:23:47 AM

A whopping 31.0 MB.

is that even legal?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ignom

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 13, 2005, 09:26:21 AM
Quote from: BigDun on December 13, 2005, 09:23:47 AM

A whopping 31.0 MB.

is that even legal?

I think that's why emachines only cost $5.

Jessie

Do you want to wrestle nishi and the monks for the 40g hard drive out of Timothy's old computer?

ignom

Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2005, 09:28:48 AM
Do you want to wrestle nishi and the monks for the 40g hard drive out of Timothy's old computer?

This computer is only as a back up for when my ibook is in the shop.

Is there some way to take the hard drive out of this Compaq? I know how to install ethernet cards and CD Roms and that's about it.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on December 13, 2005, 09:31:43 AM
Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2005, 09:28:48 AM

This computer is only as a back up for when my ibook is in the shop.

Is there some way to take the hard drive out of this Compaq? I know how to install ethernet cards and CD Roms and that's about it.

EVERYTHING is replaceable in a pc.   

BigDun

The problem isn't the hard drive. It's the amount of memory chips installed. You might be able to take it to computer repair shop to see if they have some really old memory chips laying around that will work in it.

ignom

The front of the emachine says it has a 7.5 GB hard drive.

Jessie

BigDun

A 7.5 GB hard drive is plenty large enough if all you want to do is surf the web.

BigDun

Jessie

Oh.  I have a few sticks of RAM laying around if you want to drive back up and get them, Jason.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2005, 09:33:51 AM
RAM?

I'm confused.

its the amount of thrust the cpu gives the hard drive, every once and a while, you might hear the cpu ask whos your daddy if you listen careful.

Jessie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 13, 2005, 09:36:30 AM
RAM?

I'm confused.

its the amount of thrust the cpu gives the hard drive, every once and a while, you might hear the cpu ask whos your daddy if you listen careful.

I know what it is, just not that that's what we were discussing.  Memory chips sounds like some kind of snack.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2005, 09:37:50 AM
RAM?

I'm confused.

I know what it is, just not that that's what we were discussing.  Memory chips sounds like some kind of snack.

so your accusing me of threadjackin huh? 

Jessie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 13, 2005, 09:41:59 AM
RAM?

I'm confused.

I'd applaud you for threadjacking.  It's an art, really.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2005, 09:46:56 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 13, 2005, 09:41:59 AM
RAM?

I'm confused.

I'd applaud you for threadjacking.  It's an art, really.

that it is, but its best when subtle and unnoticed..

Bennyhana

Although hard drive speed, size, and amount of free space does affect application performance, the effects they have are small compared to the amount of RAM.  I'm amazed they would think anything after windows95 would be comfortable with such a small amount of RAM.

meredith

Are you back home or still in Kentucky?  I can get you some RAM suitable for that machine.  You should probably use Firefox instead of Mozilla, saving you the memory of loading the other Mozilla applications in memory when you're just browsing.

ignom

I'm at home right now.

I went around to Best Buy and CompUSA today. The guy said only a certain kind of RAM is compatible with the emachine, PTY or PCY or something, I don't remember. I didn't want to pay $50+ for it, anyway. He said he didn't know where to buy used RAM in Knoxville. Also, since it only has 31 MB, I probably can't add a lot more.

I'll try Firefox instead of Mozilla.

They had an eMac on sale for around $650 that I was momentarily tempted to sign up for a credit card and buy, but then I remembered that the AppleCare warranty would be another $300.

If your RAM would work, I'd be willing to try it. I don't know if the extra RAM Jessie has would work either. I only really need this computer until mine is fixed, though.

I could just stick to using this computer for abandonware games.

ignom

I called CompUSA to check on my ibook and he said they mailed it off to Apple and it would be at least two weeks.

I told the guy about the trouble I was having with this computer and asked if there was anywhere I could buy used RAM. He had me bring the computer down there and put in 224 MB of extra RAM for $40.

So it's up to 255 MB now, from 31 MB. Needless to say, this computer works a lot faster now.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on December 15, 2005, 03:42:16 PM
I called CompUSA to check on my ibook and he said they mailed it off to Apple and it would be at least two weeks.

I told the guy about the trouble I was having with this computer and asked if there was anywhere I could buy used RAM. He had me bring the computer down there and put in 224 MB of extra RAM for $40.

So it's up to 255 MB now, from 31 MB. Needless to say, this computer works a lot faster now.

not a bad price.   is that for the memory and the installation, or just one of them?

ignom

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 15, 2005, 03:46:48 PM

not a bad price.   is that for the memory and the installation, or just one of them?

That's for the memory. He didn't charge for installation. They had the extra memory there and wanted to help out since I've been having so much trouble.

ReBurn

Quote from: ignom on December 15, 2005, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 15, 2005, 03:46:48 PM

That's for the memory. He didn't charge for installation. They had the extra memory there and wanted to help out since I've been having so much trouble.
If they wanted to help they would have talked you out of buying the iBook to begin with.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ignom

Well, the hard drive crapped out on my ibook.

It worked fine last night. But earlier today, it was messing up, so I took it to the shop, where it proceeded to work just fine. I brought it home and it started messing up again, so I took it back to the shop. They said it was the hard drive.

Then I got home and hooked up this emachine again and it wouldn't connect to the internet. Eventually I had to uninstall the drivers for my ethernet card and reinstall them.

God I hate computers.

Jessie

Seriously, are they going to give you a new computer now?

Mr. Ubiquity

its emachine.   basic parts in a basic shell.  not necessarily HQ parts.   buy an HP.