News:

Incontinence Hotline ... Can you hold, please?

Main Menu

I don't feel too optimistic...

Started by Jessie, September 28, 2005, 12:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

The night before last I was channel surfing and stopped on some Gretchen Wilson special on CMT called Undressed.  It's some deal with her playing and singing backstage with her band, all acoustic.  I only heard one song, and I can't remember the lyrics, but it was really beautiful and blues-esque. 

I wonder if any of you saw it or can help me find a song list.

I think a lot of you would enjoy the song, if it's available somewhere for download.  It's not very country and she really has an amazing voice, redneck woman or not.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

cnamon

I don't like her.  She fucked up Freebird.

Jessie

She annoys me some, but she's real, so I give her credit for that.  Also, she really can sing.

cnamon

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 12:19:19 PM
She annoys me some, but she's real, so I give her credit for that.  Also, she really can sing.
I don't like her voice.

I really don't like this generation of women country singers...they are too pop.

I like Patsy Cline and old Reba.

Jessie

Quote from: cnamon on September 28, 2005, 12:23:18 PM
Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 12:19:19 PM
I don't like her voice.

I really don't like this generation of women country singers...they are too pop.

I like Patsy Cline and old Reba.

I don't like her songs that she's released so much, but on the song I'm talking about, she was just singing and it wasn't poppy at all.  It was really soulful.  It wasn't the over produced crap that is most popular music, it was basic and very pretty.

I love Patsy Cline.

DownSouth

I liked it yesterday when she did a concert at the plaza and she sang about getting all trashed at a bar.  My favorite was all the 12 year old girls singing it right along with her.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

VikingJuice

When discussing Gretchen, it's like discussing ther merits of Jessica Simpson in the pantheon of American Music-only redneck.  

Jessie

Gretchen Wilson sings much better than Jessica Simpson.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 12:33:57 PM
Gretchen Wilson sings much better than Jessica Simpson.

My point was you're choosing between an overexposed low talent white girl and a redneck overexposed low talent white girl.

Jessie

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 12:51:10 PM
But she has talent.

I'm sure she has talents alright, I just don't think they are of the musical variety.  Let's face it, she's had once catchy tune and then dropped off the face of the non-country listening earth.

Jessie

Quote from: vikingjuice on September 28, 2005, 12:54:33 PM
But she has talent.

I'm sure she has talents alright, I just don't think they are of the musical variety.  Let's face it, she's had once catchy tune and then dropped off the face of the non-country listening earth.

That doesn't mean she's talentless.  In fact, I'd say in this day and age that NOT being known is probably a better indicator of talent than being popular.

Jessie

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 01:03:25 PM
But she has talent.

I'm sure she has talents alright, I just don't think they are of the musical variety.  Let's face it, she's had once catchy tune and then dropped off the face of the non-country listening earth.

That doesn't mean she's talentless.  In fact, I'd say in this day and age that NOT being known is probably a better indicator of talent than being popular.

Have you heard any of her other stuff, by the way?  The song I'm trying to find in particular?

VikingJuice

But she has talent.

While I understand your argument, and agree somewhat, the absence of popularity doesn't necessarily imply the existence of talent.

Jessie

Quote from: vikingjuice on September 28, 2005, 01:04:51 PM
But she has talent.

While I understand your argument, and agree somewhat, the absence of popularity doesn't necessarily imply the existence of talent.

No and the existence of popularity most certainly does not guarantee talent.

I'm not even a big fan of her music, but I know that she can sing.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 01:04:08 PM
But she has talent.

Have you heard any of her other stuff, by the way?  The song I'm trying to find in particular?

They had her on TV a few months back as I was flipping channels.  Her show was wedged in between the two shows I was flipping between and by happenstance only, I caught fragments of several tunes.  They didn't do it for me.  The redneck tune was catchy though.  I just think of her like so many other one hit wonders in the music world.  

Jessie

Quote from: vikingjuice on September 28, 2005, 01:07:00 PM
But she has talent.

They had her on TV a few months back as I was flipping channels.  Her show was wedged in between the two shows I was flipping between and by happenstance only, I caught fragments of several tunes.  They didn't do it for me.  The redneck tune was catchy though.  I just think of her like so many other one hit wonders in the music world. 

If I find the song, I'll send it to you and you can tell me whether you think it's indicative of her having talent in the singing department.  You don't have to like the music to recognize talent.

Alice

"All Jacked Up"
"Here For the Party"
"Homewrecker"
"Redneck Woman"
"When I Think About Cheatin'"

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 01:09:46 PM
Quote from: vikingjuice on September 28, 2005, 01:07:00 PM
But she has talent.

They had her on TV a few months back as I was flipping channels.  Her show was wedged in between the two shows I was flipping between and by happenstance only, I caught fragments of several tunes.  They didn't do it for me.  The redneck tune was catchy though.  I just think of her like so many other one hit wonders in the music world. 

If I find the song, I'll send it to you and you can tell me whether you think it's indicative of her having talent in the singing department.  You don't have to like the music to recognize talent.

Is there an icon of a cat hissing and baring claws?  :evil:

Jessie

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 28, 2005, 01:10:09 PM
"All Jacked Up"
"Here For the Party"
"Homewrecker"
"Redneck Woman"
"When I Think About Cheatin'"

I don't know that the song I'm looking for is on her album.  It didn't sound anything like those songs.

I'm sure that special will be replayed and I'll get some lyrics and google it.  It's driving me crazy.

Jessie

I might just call my sister in law.  She LOVES Gretchen Wilson.  I'm sure she saw it and knows what song I'm talking about.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 01:13:03 PM
I might just call my sister in law.  She LOVES Gretchen Wilson.  I'm sure she saw it and knows what song I'm talking about.

Do you remember any of the lyrics?  Or what it seemed to be about?

Jessie

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 28, 2005, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 01:13:03 PM

Do you remember any of the lyrics?  Or what it seemed to be about?

Nope.  I don't know why I didn't look it up at the time.  I think I was half asleep on the couch.