News:

Speaking as a chick, I just can't get enough of the wang bone.

Main Menu

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Started by Jessie, August 10, 2005, 01:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

Last night I happened upon a strange thing:  a music video on MTV.

Has anyone else seen Green Day's video (song name in the thread title)? 

I thought it was a beautifully made video, and it almost made me cry.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

DownSouth

I heard the song on my way home earlier.  Haven't seen the video.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

The video has Evan Rachel Wood http://imdb.com/name/nm0939697/ in it, who was AMAZING in Thirteen.  That's a great movie.  Apparently she's also in Running with Scissors, which just makes me want to see that movie even more.

Jessie

http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/green_day/audvid.jhtml

You can watch it there, but there are a couple of commercials first.

I think it's worth the wait.

eo000

that is BD's favorite song on that album.

Jessie

I need to get that album, I think.

I am pretty sick of the singles so far, though.  They're good, but they play them A LOT.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on August 10, 2005, 01:56:14 PM
I need to get that album, I think.

I am pretty sick of the singles so far, though.  They're good, but they play them A LOT.
Send me your new addy and I can hook you up.

BigDun

I uploaded the song to the dump a long time ago.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

meredith

Jessie

meredith

oh, guess the forum breaks the url i used a bit.  click that link above again, and put in the user/password we use for the dump

Jessie

Thanks!  I'm gonna try downloading and burning it.  I hope it works.  THe last 2 cds I made didn't work for some reason.

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

BigDun

I went to music.aol.com to find the video and damn, that was intense.

Jessie

Quote from: BigDun on August 11, 2005, 12:43:34 AM
I went to music.aol.com to find the video and damn, that was intense.

Yeah.  I told ya so.

Gamplayerx

There were just talking about this video on the radio this morning.

Jessie

Everyone should go watch it. 

It's the best video I've seen since...dare I say it...Thriller.

Not better than Thriller, but the best I've seen since.

Alice

So do you not need me to send it anymore?

Jessie

Actually, I do.  I'm not sure what the problem is but I can't seem to burn usable cds for my car stereo here anymore.

Is there an issue with cd-r's vs cd-rw's that I'm not aware of?

When I used cd-r's it worked just fine.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on August 11, 2005, 10:15:38 AM
Actually, I do.  I'm not sure what the problem is but I can't seem to burn usable cds for my car stereo here anymore.

Is there an issue with cd-r's vs cd-rw's that I'm not aware of?

When I used cd-r's it worked just fine.
I'll burn it tonight.

I'll even write you a letter.  ;)

meredith

CD-RWs are even harder to read than CD-Rs, so it's not unusual to have trouble with them.  The difference in reflectiveness of a 1 vs. a 0 is very small on a CD-RW.  There are also some other things that could give the car stereo trouble, such as "finalizing" and the two-second gap on the disc between songs.  Do you need some CD-Rs?

Jessie

Thanks alice!

If you send me a letter, I'l sing and dance to the Blue's Clues 'We just got a letter' song when I get it.

I don't need cd-r's, I'll just buy some next time I go to staples for work.  Or maybe I'll actually spring for some of my own so I don't feel like such a pilferer or pilpherer, whichever is spelled correctly.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on August 11, 2005, 10:26:14 AM
Thanks alice!

If you send me a letter, I'l sing and dance to the Blue's Clues 'We just got a letter' song when I get it.

I don't need cd-r's, I'll just buy some next time I go to staples for work.  Or maybe I'll actually spring for some of my own so I don't feel like such a pilferer or pilpherer, whichever is spelled correctly.
Did you know that I used to get paid to dress up as Blue?

Jessie

Quote from: AliceLiddell on August 11, 2005, 10:34:43 AM
Thanks alice!

You did?

Did you know that Timothy LOVED that show?

It was one that I could actually watch with him and not want to shoot myself in the face.  The little songs are really catchy.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on August 11, 2005, 10:36:36 AM
Quote from: AliceLiddell on August 11, 2005, 10:34:43 AM
Thanks alice!

You did?

Did you know that Timothy LOVED that show?

It was one that I could actually watch with him and not want to shoot myself in the face.  The little songs are really catchy.
I can make the noises Blue can now.  It's frightening. 

Beefy

Gamplayerx

Jessie

Nobody listens to me, or you'd all be saying how amazing that video is.

BigDun

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on August 11, 2005, 12:13:35 PM
Nobody listens to me, or you'd all be saying how amazing that video is.

I tried to watch it, but MTV made Firefox cry.

Jessie

Quote from: BigDun on August 11, 2005, 12:14:38 PM
Hey! Am I nobody now?

You're so far above them that I didn't include you.

Alice

Sorry, I was going to watch it but then I got distracted by your bedroom eyes and superb discourse.

Jessie

Damn it, I forgot to take out my bedroom eyes and put in my work eyes again this morning.

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

BigDun

Of the TFers who responded to that thread, I recognized SMH and Norb.

ignom

I submitted that thread. Jessie made me watch the video, and now I need closure, dammit.

Beefy

Okay, I just watched it.

Jessie, I love ya, but due to the subject matter I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

First of all, as much as I like Green Day, that song cannot hold the weight of the sentiment that the video is trying to convey.  If there is one thing Green Day is not about, it's depth.  Oh my God, let's set the first scene in a corn field, since that's what rural America is all about!  There are plenty of real scenarios that carry emotional and dramatic weight concerning war and the choice of enlisting.  Slo-mo shots and weepy teenagers do not inherently make something deep.

Second, the acting is pedestrian.  Whiny white teenagers.  Boo-hoo.  Give me a reason to care besides some generic white kids having angst.  Why the hell did he enlist in the first place, other than to over-emote "I thought you would understand, I'm doing this for us"

It sort of pisses me off that this the best grandiose social statement that can be made about something that deserves real consideration right now.  It's like the only way the youth generation can grasp important ideas is by dumbing it down to an intolerable degree.  I find it insulting to the folks who have actually had to make the choice.

I hope that dude gets shot in his peener and can never procreate.  And I hope a piano, strapped to a Buick and lit on fire, falls out of the sky and flattens his girlfriend.

Then maybe we can find a worthy way of addressing this topic.

My best wishes to the real folks overseas, who deserve better representation.

Jessie

I guess that for me, it hits rather close to home.  The, 'I thought you'd understand, I did this for us' sentiment makes perfect sense to me, as that's why my brother enlisted.  He enlisted to do something with his faltering life so that he and his girlfriend could have more of a future.

What I got out of it in the video was that he did it to have a chance at something more than what was offered in their rural town.  Maybe I read too much into it.  I don't know. 

As far as making a statement about what's going on right now...I don't know.  I know that Green Day is anti-war and anti-Bush and all that, and I'm sure you all know that I am, too.  However, I didn't see anything that was necessarily saying the war was wrong, but rather it seemed to give a glimpse of the reality of war.  I think that we tend to forget just how brutal it is over there.  We hear every day about soldiers dying, and we barely blink at it, because it's become so commonplace.  Of course I'm using broad generalizations here, and this isn't true for everyone. 

I won't even get into the BS recruiting practices that go on to get kids to enlist.

Anyway, I like the mini-movie style of video, and I liked this one.

Beefy

I figured why the video probably spoke to you, but I can't help but think that the weight you found came from what is in your own heart and mind, not what was actually displayed on screen.

And no, I didn't see a statement pro or anti war either.  I thought they were trying to make a statement about sacrifice.  But as presented, I found it empty and wrongheaded.

Regardless, my own reaction and reply to the video fell prey to the same problems that I had with the video itself.

So disregard.

Jessie

I refuse to disregard!

That's my protest for the day.

And I'm spent.

ignom

ignom

Jessie

Beefy

Quote from: ignom on August 12, 2005, 08:57:34 AM
Quote from: Beefy on August 12, 2005, 08:55:12 AM

So you're saying somebody dies during a rainstorm at the wedding?

No, I'm saying that before the dude has a chance to come home to his teenage paramour, Axl is going to sweep in and marry her.  Then, he'll beat the shit out of her, she'll divorce him, and she'll take half his shit.

Jessie

Someone has to drive a car off a cliff.