News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

How much does Central Air Cost

Started by Dry then Catch, February 26, 2007, 06:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

I'm in the process of buying a townhouse.  I've already rented out my current home to some widower from back east.  In fact he moves in 2 weeks and I'll be out in the street. 

Anyway, this townhouse I've made an offer on has no A/C.  I don't know how this is possible out here.  It just has that awful swamp cooler.  So the ductwork is there.  Googling for AC is just full of biased commericial spam. Sears won't even give a rough estimate unless you have a guy come out.  I just want a rough estimate. 

Has anyone ever installed a central AC? I have NO clue how much it will cost.  The townhouse is a little over a 1000 square feet. 

Bennyhana

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 06:51:23 PM
I'm in the process of buying a townhouse.  I've already rented out my current home to some widower from back east.  In fact he moves in 2 weeks and I'll be out in the street. 

Anyway, this townhouse I've made an offer on has no A/C.  I don't know how this is possible out here.  It just has that awful swamp cooler.  So the ductwork is there.  Googling for AC is just full of biased commericial spam. Sears won't even give a rough estimate unless you have a guy come out.  I just want a rough estimate. 

Has anyone ever installed a central AC? I have NO clue how much it will cost.  The townhouse is a little over a 1000 square feet. 

I seem to recall my sister paying almost $3000 for her central air about 8 or 9 years ago.  The place already had forced air heat, as I recall, but they may have had to do some extensive updating that you might not have to do.

Jessie

I'm pretty sure the unit is ~$1500 roughly, plus installation.  I think.  I could be wrong.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Dry then Catch

Ok thus far in this thread there is a $1500 differential in opinion.   :-[

Bennyhana

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 07:25:03 PM

No, she said $1500 plus installation, not $1500.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 26, 2007, 07:28:58 PM

Ok so I'm looking at about 3k. At least I'll get a lot of airline miles.  What sucks is I'll need a really robust AC, this isn't some namby-pamby New England summer home.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 07:40:11 PM

Ok so I'm looking at about 3k. At least I'll get a lot of airline miles.  What sucks is I'll need a really robust AC, this isn't some namby-pamby New England summer home.
Have you already completed settlement on your purchase?  If not, can you bump up the loan to cover the AC?  If not, can you get a HELOC to cover the AC?  Unless you have the $3K in cash sitting around, in which case, nevermind.  Carry on.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 07:40:11 PM

Have you already completed settlement on your purchase?  If not, can you bump up the loan to cover the AC?  If not, can you get a HELOC to cover the AC?  Unless you have the $3K in cash sitting around, in which case, nevermind.  Carry on.

The thing is I have(had) no idea what to ask for an AC.  So I just gave him a low offer (3k upfront is certainly worth more than 3k amortized)  I suppose if he accepts my offer, I can get an estimate during the evaluation period.

Other than housing costs I have had the good luck to be debt free most of my time, so I want to avoid HELOCs.  I guess the question now, is do I change my already rather low offer (which I'm sure he'll reject at first) to later include an AC? 

Infobahn

There are many option for CA.  I would really just go call 5 people and get quotes.  That is the only way you are going to know.  I would think that a unit for that sized house is going to be $1000, and installation another $500+ if the ducts are good.  Keep the swamp cooler, as it will be a good option in certain types of weather.  There are many houses that use both.

Have you thought of keeping the swamp cooler, and getting a window unit for the bedroom for those nights that you would really need it?

Since it is in Arizona, you will get plenty of opinions on who is good or not.

BigDun

Buy a walk in refrigerator and live in it.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Bennyhana

btw, whatever happened to, "Yeah, but it's a dry heat?"

BigDun

Infobahn

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 26, 2007, 08:06:24 PM
He mentioned a swamp cooler.  Keep up sparky.

Gamplayerx

My uncle does A/C stuff out in Arizona - I think just in Tucson, but he may know prices for Phoenix.  'Course he's really my ex-uncle as he abandoned my cousins, divorced my aunt and disappeared.  But if it would help you, I could try and track him down and see if he can give you a rough estimate.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:11:27 PM
My uncle does A/C stuff out in Arizona - I think just in Tucson, but he may know prices for Phoenix.  'Course he's really my ex-uncle as he abandoned my cousins, divorced my aunt and disappeared.  But if it would help you, I could try and track him down and see if he can give you a rough estimate.

And then BLAM I'll dole justice, as I live in Tucson.  I would assume someone who doesn't value his family might not have qualms on giving a raw deal to their niece's internet friend. 

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 26, 2007, 08:06:24 PM

That is true for 10 months out of the year.  Late July-August and early September pretty much bring constant monsoons and humid weather.  Swamp coolers are worthless at that point.

Or completely dry weather during a lightning filled overcast which is one of the weirdest feelings ever. 

Quote from: Infobahn on February 26, 2007, 08:02:48 PM
There are many option for CA.  I would really just go call 5 people and get quotes.  That is the only way you are going to know.  I would think that a unit for that sized house is going to be $1000, and installation another $500+ if the ducts are good.  Keep the swamp cooler, as it will be a good option in certain types of weather.  There are many houses that use both.

Have you thought of keeping the swamp cooler, and getting a window unit for the bedroom for those nights that you would really need it?

Since it is in Arizona, you will get plenty of opinions on who is good or not.

The problem is, doesn't everyone here already have an AC?  I figure if I'm going to toss a few thousand for AC I might as well go all the way.  Wall units don't cool as well and take up valuable window space and may end up being just a few hundred cheaper.  I defintely want to keep the swamp cooler, I just wonder if the ducting (is that a word) allows both. 

Gamplayerx

You're in Tucson?  All this time, I thought you were in Phoenix.  Hmm.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:54:47 PM

My parents live in the Phoenix area and I spent age 11-17 there.  Before that is NY and after that is Tucson.

Gamplayerx

My real uncle who didn't abandon his family also lives in Tucson.  I think he repairs dishwashers or something.  You should look him up.  He'd never give his niece's internet friend a raw deal.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 09:00:58 PM
My real uncle who didn't abandon his family also lives in Tucson.  I think he repairs dishwashers or something.  You should look him up.  He'd never give his niece's internet friend a raw deal.

I certainly will, but does he do A/Cs as well as dishwashers?  Send me his company info

Gamplayerx

No, only the non-uncle does A/Cs.  The real uncle may do appliances other than dishwashers, but not HVAC.

Alice

I thought he lived in Iceland!

dazie

Keep the swamp cooler
Screw the AC
Spend monsoon season in Flagstaff.

Problem solved.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

DownSouth

When it gets over 110 you need the a/c (dry or not dry).  When I used to go out there every summer I can't even imagine not having it.  My parents here spent about $6,000 on dual units about 5 years ago.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 08:56:28 PM

My parents live in the Phoenix area and I spent age 11-17 there.  Before that is NY and after that is Tucson.

I thought you lived in China! 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 27, 2007, 10:02:44 AM
I thought you lived in China! 

Quote from: Alice on February 26, 2007, 10:19:55 PM
I thought he lived in Iceland!

I live on the border of both duh

It doesn't seem like the elderly owner is going to accept my offer.  greedy bastard its a BUYERS market and YOUR TOWNHOME has been on the for 6 months due to its price

Dry then Catch

Quote from: DownSouth on February 27, 2007, 09:56:18 AM
When it gets over 110 you need the a/c (dry or not dry).  When I used to go out there every summer I can't even imagine not having it.  My parents here spent about $6,000 on dual units about 5 years ago.

dont your parents have like a 10,000 sq foot ranch in the middle of the desert

Infobahn

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 27, 2007, 04:42:53 PM

It doesn't seem like the elderly owner is going to accept my offer.  greedy bastard its a BUYERS market and YOUR TOWNHOME has been on the for 6 months due to its price

You are right, don't back down.  There are other properties.

What's the commute like from Oracle? ;)

Infobahn

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 27, 2007, 07:10:07 PM
Quote from: Infobahn on February 27, 2007, 06:49:56 PM

I am Coming from someone who has dealt with more high priced homes than I could shak

Wha???

I had to start buy cheap places before I could by expensive ones.

Dry then Catch

You're encouragement is reassuring considering how many high priced homes you have dealt with.  Time is on my side.  I'm renting out my current home for a profit and am going to hole up in a college buddy's guest house for low rent while I plan my next move.   Its sort of an odd feeling downsizing living situations.
there is the place in
http://tarmls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Tucson&PRGNAME=MLSPropertyDetail&ARGUMENTS=-N977462662,-N351929,-N,-A,-N16631614

Driving from Oracle woud be a nightmare.  Unless I applied to Honeywell.  And I just hate working.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Infobahn on February 27, 2007, 07:26:57 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 27, 2007, 07:10:07 PM

I am Coming from someone who has dealt with more high priced homes than I could shak

Wha???

I had to start buy cheap places before I could by expensive ones.

this is what happens when you mash at the keyboard because your boss is behind you
I meant that you probably have the best real estate advice out of any of us

Infobahn

Coolio.

I was just joking about Oracle.  When I remembered it was just desert.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Infobahn on February 27, 2007, 07:53:18 PM
Coolio.

I was just joking about Oracle.  When I remembered it was just desert.

I hear its a good place to buy cars as they circumvent various county and city laws.  How big was Oro Valley back in the day?

Infobahn

Looks nice.  Very Arizonan, and love the tile.  The swamp cooler is 18 months old...  Hmmm, I wouldn't rush into adding central air.  What is the parking like?  Have you walked through it?  You ARE going to have it inspected, right?

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Infobahn on February 27, 2007, 07:58:21 PM
Looks nice.  Very Arizonan, and love the tile.  The swamp cooler is 18 months old...  Hmmm, I wouldn't rush into adding central air.  What is the parking like?  Have you walked through it?  You ARE going to have it inspected, right?

I've visited it three times.

I read through the SPDS carefully.

Issues:

1) Foundation crack.  Could be a non-issue.  The tile (not real saltillo, ceramic) was added one year ago on top.
2)  Mold removed 1 year ago
3)  Roof replaced 1 year ago
4)  Termites removed 1 year ago
5)  "End unit", its by the main drive and the dumpster is on the side of my house.
6)  Classic cheap-o Arizona Stuccoooooo.  my house now is adobe brick, solid and soundproof

7)  And of course lack of AC.  Why do you not think I'll need an AC if the swamp is new? 

Its near the U of A, and on the border between a nice established middle class neighborhood (Winterhaven) and the semi sketchy neighborhoods that always are adjacent to universities.  The townhouse group itself is very nice looks like a lot of elderly people and winter visitors. 

The owner bought this house in 2005 at 125, overpaying the asking price by 8k.  From the comps its obvious he bought a fixer upper. He hoped to flip it and take advantage of the skyrocketing market of 2005.  Jokes on him eh.

So now he is asking 164 in a worse market than 2005?  There also happens to be another unit in that group that just appeared on the market.

My final offer will be 145 w/ 20% earnest.  I will also ask for $1000 credit toward AC. 

I would love to hear your advice Info. 

BigDun

Awwww.... Our little boy is all growed up.

DownSouth

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 27, 2007, 04:44:07 PM
Quote from: DownSouth on February 27, 2007, 09:56:18 AM

dont your parents have like a 10,000 sq foot ranch in the middle of the desert
I have no idea where my mom lives since she got remarried.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Gamplayerx

What was wrong with your current house?

Infobahn

1.   It's Arizona, and it will be hard to find a house without a foundation crack.  Seriously.  Everything is built on a sand/soil base.
2.   I would have the air tested again for mold.  I would suspect that the replacement of the swamp cooler had something to do with the mold.
3.   Roof, good. Again, I would have to say there was a clusterfuck of things wrong with the house water/mold related.  Again, I would have an independent person inspect the home.  The best $300 you would spend.
4.   Termites. Ugh.  My Mom had them too.  You are going to have to factor in an exterminator visit(s) to keep on top of this, and any other creepy crawlies that are normal to Tucson.  Make sure you figure that into a yearly budget.
5.   Find out when trash pick up is.  If it is during the week when you are supposed to be at work, no big deal.  Saturday could suck.
6.   Yes, stucco.  It is cheap construction.  Have you talked to an insurance agent yet?  Do you pay for some insurance through your association fees?  What are you insuring if you live here.
7.   I know why you want central air, and I think you should get it.  I don't want to sound otherwise.  If it is a new unit, I bet it will cover 95% of your cooling needs – that being every other month than monsoon season/August.  I think if you shop around, you will get a better deal.  There are great AC people, and crappy ones.  Take your time and research, you have a few months until it really matters.

I do think you are in the right frame of mind on price.  The market has not increased that much, and I would have to think even if he did put some money updating the townhouse, it is not that drastic of an increase.  I have to think there are at least 100 comparable units in Tucson.  Be patient.  You have the cash, he is in the crappy market.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 28, 2007, 09:41:25 AM
What was wrong with your current house?

Nothing really.  Any move I make will be a downgrade.  Money back in 2003 bought a LOT more than 2007.   The house is too big for one person. I can afford another place and I feel housing prices in Arizona will soon reach the unresaonable level of California, where a young professional working for 5 years can barely afford a small house.  So its also for investment purposes.  If I ever wanted to take off and you know pursue my dreams or something stupid like that, it would be nice to have two rental properties as passive incomes. 

I've lived a post-college lifestyle for a long time.  I've been an unambitious, well meaning oaf who sort of easy-goingly ambles about. Consequently I've had plenty of friends thereby rooomates.  I have a 4 bedroom house, for years I've filled it and have had great times.  However, now I'm 27 and my social circle is rapidly declining or becoming extremely boring and middle aged acting.  And sort of like Alice I'm ready to live alone.

also i hate yardwork

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Infobahn on February 28, 2007, 11:59:30 AM
1.   It's Arizona, and it will be hard to find a house without a foundation crack.  Seriously.  Everything is built on a sand/soil base.
2.   I would have the air tested again for mold.  I would suspect that the replacement of the swamp cooler had something to do with the mold.
3.   Roof, good. Again, I would have to say there was a clusterfuck of things wrong with the house water/mold related.  Again, I would have an independent person inspect the home.  The best $300 you would spend.
4.   Termites. Ugh.  My Mom had them too.  You are going to have to factor in an exterminator visit(s) to keep on top of this, and any other creepy crawlies that are normal to Tucson.  Make sure you figure that into a yearly budget.
5.   Find out when trash pick up is.  If it is during the week when you are supposed to be at work, no big deal.  Saturday could suck.
6.   Yes, stucco.  It is cheap construction.  Have you talked to an insurance agent yet?  Do you pay for some insurance through your association fees?  What are you insuring if you live here.
7.   I know why you want central air, and I think you should get it.  I don't want to sound otherwise.  If it is a new unit, I bet it will cover 95% of your cooling needs – that being every other month than monsoon season/August.  I think if you shop around, you will get a better deal.  There are great AC people, and crappy ones.  Take your time and research, you have a few months until it really matters.

I do think you are in the right frame of mind on price.  The market has not increased that much, and I would have to think even if he did put some money updating the townhouse, it is not that drastic of an increase.  I have to think there are at least 100 comparable units in Tucson.  Be patient.  You have the cash, he is in the crappy market.

Yeah if I the accept the offer, I will get an inspector of course.  The general home inspector should cover everything right? 

I knew termites and foundation cracks are an inevitability here.  But still its something. 

The HOA is worthless.  There are virtually no common grounds to maintain.  There is no pool, rec, or clubhouse.  It does not cover the roof insurance like most do.  ALl it covers is water and trash and cutting some desert shrubs.   100 a month.  Thats a lot for out here. 

Thanks for your help Info.  My agent seems to hint that I'm being too demanding but I am going to stick to my guns. 

Infobahn

Remember, agents are commissioned sales people - they make more "per hour" if they can get you through the process faster.  The second that we all stop thinking of them as some consultant there to help us, we will all be better.

A general home inspector will cover everything, yes.  Ask them what they think about putting AC in.  They should be able to tell you what the pluses and minuses would be.  They have more in on your best interests than the RE agent does.

That does sound like a crappy HOA.  I mean i could see $100 if it covered snow removal, but that isn't an issue.  They probably have paving and exterior stucco and paint covered.

Keep sticking to your guns.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Infobahn on February 28, 2007, 01:10:57 PM
Remember, agents are commissioned sales people - they make more "per hour" if they can get you through the process faster.  The second that we all stop thinking of them as some consultant there to help us, we will all be better.

A general home inspector will cover everything, yes.  Ask them what they think about putting AC in.  They should be able to tell you what the pluses and minuses would be.  They have more in on your best interests than the RE agent does.

That does sound like a crappy HOA.  I mean i could see $100 if it covered snow removal, but that isn't an issue.  They probably have paving and exterior stucco and paint covered.

They countered by barely changing any of the terms and throwing in a washer/dryer that was already sitting there.  I flat out rejected.  Ha, there is another townhome in that complex with AC that just opened up. 

dazie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 02, 2007, 02:26:23 PM

They countered by barely changing any of the terms and throwing in a washer/dryer that was already sitting there.  I flat out rejected.  Ha, there is another townhome in that complex with AC that just opened up. 

You show 'em who's boss.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Infobahn

Dry then Catch

Quote from: dazie on March 02, 2007, 02:41:28 PM

You show 'em who's boss.

Not that I don't love them, but the reasonably afflluent elderly need to understand more flexibility.  They get some price set in their minds and they think they know better.   Especially in estate and yard sales too.  No one wants to buy your wooden box 24" TV for $500.  I've seen some ludicriously overpriced shit at old people sales. 

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 02, 2007, 03:36:26 PM
Quote from: dazie on March 02, 2007, 02:41:28 PM

You show 'em who's boss.

Not that I don't love them, but the reasonably afflluent elderly need to understand more flexibility.  They get some price set in their minds and they think they know better.   Especially in estate and yard sales too.  No one wants to buy your wooden box 24" TV for $500.  I've seen some ludicriously overpriced shit at old people sales. 
I remember when my grandpa said I was being ridiculous for not taking jobs making $7/hour.  Old people are funny.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.