News:

I went to the general store.  They wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

Main Menu

How much does Central Air Cost

Started by Dry then Catch, February 26, 2007, 06:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

I'm in the process of buying a townhouse.  I've already rented out my current home to some widower from back east.  In fact he moves in 2 weeks and I'll be out in the street. 

Anyway, this townhouse I've made an offer on has no A/C.  I don't know how this is possible out here.  It just has that awful swamp cooler.  So the ductwork is there.  Googling for AC is just full of biased commericial spam. Sears won't even give a rough estimate unless you have a guy come out.  I just want a rough estimate. 

Has anyone ever installed a central AC? I have NO clue how much it will cost.  The townhouse is a little over a 1000 square feet. 

Bennyhana

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 06:51:23 PM
I'm in the process of buying a townhouse.  I've already rented out my current home to some widower from back east.  In fact he moves in 2 weeks and I'll be out in the street. 

Anyway, this townhouse I've made an offer on has no A/C.  I don't know how this is possible out here.  It just has that awful swamp cooler.  So the ductwork is there.  Googling for AC is just full of biased commericial spam. Sears won't even give a rough estimate unless you have a guy come out.  I just want a rough estimate. 

Has anyone ever installed a central AC? I have NO clue how much it will cost.  The townhouse is a little over a 1000 square feet. 

I seem to recall my sister paying almost $3000 for her central air about 8 or 9 years ago.  The place already had forced air heat, as I recall, but they may have had to do some extensive updating that you might not have to do.

Jessie

I'm pretty sure the unit is ~$1500 roughly, plus installation.  I think.  I could be wrong.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Dry then Catch

Ok thus far in this thread there is a $1500 differential in opinion.   :-[

Bennyhana

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 07:25:03 PM

No, she said $1500 plus installation, not $1500.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 26, 2007, 07:28:58 PM

Ok so I'm looking at about 3k. At least I'll get a lot of airline miles.  What sucks is I'll need a really robust AC, this isn't some namby-pamby New England summer home.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 07:40:11 PM

Ok so I'm looking at about 3k. At least I'll get a lot of airline miles.  What sucks is I'll need a really robust AC, this isn't some namby-pamby New England summer home.
Have you already completed settlement on your purchase?  If not, can you bump up the loan to cover the AC?  If not, can you get a HELOC to cover the AC?  Unless you have the $3K in cash sitting around, in which case, nevermind.  Carry on.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 07:40:11 PM

Have you already completed settlement on your purchase?  If not, can you bump up the loan to cover the AC?  If not, can you get a HELOC to cover the AC?  Unless you have the $3K in cash sitting around, in which case, nevermind.  Carry on.

The thing is I have(had) no idea what to ask for an AC.  So I just gave him a low offer (3k upfront is certainly worth more than 3k amortized)  I suppose if he accepts my offer, I can get an estimate during the evaluation period.

Other than housing costs I have had the good luck to be debt free most of my time, so I want to avoid HELOCs.  I guess the question now, is do I change my already rather low offer (which I'm sure he'll reject at first) to later include an AC? 

Infobahn

There are many option for CA.  I would really just go call 5 people and get quotes.  That is the only way you are going to know.  I would think that a unit for that sized house is going to be $1000, and installation another $500+ if the ducts are good.  Keep the swamp cooler, as it will be a good option in certain types of weather.  There are many houses that use both.

Have you thought of keeping the swamp cooler, and getting a window unit for the bedroom for those nights that you would really need it?

Since it is in Arizona, you will get plenty of opinions on who is good or not.

BigDun

Buy a walk in refrigerator and live in it.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Bennyhana

btw, whatever happened to, "Yeah, but it's a dry heat?"

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 26, 2007, 08:06:24 PM
He mentioned a swamp cooler.  Keep up sparky.

Gamplayerx

My uncle does A/C stuff out in Arizona - I think just in Tucson, but he may know prices for Phoenix.  'Course he's really my ex-uncle as he abandoned my cousins, divorced my aunt and disappeared.  But if it would help you, I could try and track him down and see if he can give you a rough estimate.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:11:27 PM
My uncle does A/C stuff out in Arizona - I think just in Tucson, but he may know prices for Phoenix.  'Course he's really my ex-uncle as he abandoned my cousins, divorced my aunt and disappeared.  But if it would help you, I could try and track him down and see if he can give you a rough estimate.

And then BLAM I'll dole justice, as I live in Tucson.  I would assume someone who doesn't value his family might not have qualms on giving a raw deal to their niece's internet friend. 

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 26, 2007, 08:06:24 PM

That is true for 10 months out of the year.  Late July-August and early September pretty much bring constant monsoons and humid weather.  Swamp coolers are worthless at that point.

Or completely dry weather during a lightning filled overcast which is one of the weirdest feelings ever. 

Quote from: Infobahn on February 26, 2007, 08:02:48 PM
There are many option for CA.  I would really just go call 5 people and get quotes.  That is the only way you are going to know.  I would think that a unit for that sized house is going to be $1000, and installation another $500+ if the ducts are good.  Keep the swamp cooler, as it will be a good option in certain types of weather.  There are many houses that use both.

Have you thought of keeping the swamp cooler, and getting a window unit for the bedroom for those nights that you would really need it?

Since it is in Arizona, you will get plenty of opinions on who is good or not.

The problem is, doesn't everyone here already have an AC?  I figure if I'm going to toss a few thousand for AC I might as well go all the way.  Wall units don't cool as well and take up valuable window space and may end up being just a few hundred cheaper.  I defintely want to keep the swamp cooler, I just wonder if the ducting (is that a word) allows both. 

Gamplayerx

You're in Tucson?  All this time, I thought you were in Phoenix.  Hmm.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:54:47 PM

My parents live in the Phoenix area and I spent age 11-17 there.  Before that is NY and after that is Tucson.

Gamplayerx

My real uncle who didn't abandon his family also lives in Tucson.  I think he repairs dishwashers or something.  You should look him up.  He'd never give his niece's internet friend a raw deal.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 09:00:58 PM
My real uncle who didn't abandon his family also lives in Tucson.  I think he repairs dishwashers or something.  You should look him up.  He'd never give his niece's internet friend a raw deal.

I certainly will, but does he do A/Cs as well as dishwashers?  Send me his company info

Gamplayerx

No, only the non-uncle does A/Cs.  The real uncle may do appliances other than dishwashers, but not HVAC.

Alice

I thought he lived in Iceland!

dazie

Keep the swamp cooler
Screw the AC
Spend monsoon season in Flagstaff.

Problem solved.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

DownSouth

When it gets over 110 you need the a/c (dry or not dry).  When I used to go out there every summer I can't even imagine not having it.  My parents here spent about $6,000 on dual units about 5 years ago.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 26, 2007, 08:56:28 PM

My parents live in the Phoenix area and I spent age 11-17 there.  Before that is NY and after that is Tucson.

I thought you lived in China! 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 27, 2007, 10:02:44 AM
I thought you lived in China! 

Quote from: Alice on February 26, 2007, 10:19:55 PM
I thought he lived in Iceland!

I live on the border of both duh

It doesn't seem like the elderly owner is going to accept my offer.  greedy bastard its a BUYERS market and YOUR TOWNHOME has been on the for 6 months due to its price