News:

BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

something about this picture...

Started by dazie, January 25, 2007, 11:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

I took this picture a few years ago when we were in Hawaii.  It's north shore Oahu, and I swear it's real.

But something about it doesn't LOOK real.  What is it??!

http://i3.tinypic.com/400xn6b.jpg

(linked for bigness)
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

eo000

no photoshop at work, but pretend it looks good.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on January 25, 2007, 11:31:12 AM
I'm not in it porking YOUR MOM

eew.  It's funnier when it's about eo's mom.

meredith

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

dazie

Yeah- the water is a little Scope-y.

It just looks fake to me.  Like it's glass instead of water or something. 

Gamplayerx

The only thing I notice is the incongruity between the lightness of the water and sand versus the dark, ominous clouds.

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on January 25, 2007, 11:21:24 AM
I took this picture a few years ago when we were in Hawaii.  It's north shore Oahu, and I swear it's real.

But something about it doesn't LOOK real.  What is it??!

http://i3.tinypic.com/400xn6b.jpg

(linked for bigness)

Is this a trick question because I'm pretty sure I've seen that exact picture before?

dazie

BigDun

I think what you may be subconsciously seeing is the chroma noise aberration (the randomly colored pixels) that are in the clouds near the cloud/sea dividing line. This is a common issue with digital cameras, especially if they are set to automatically adjust the CCD sensitivity to a high ISO for low light conditions.

Um... I realize that won't make much sense to someone who isn't a camera geek, so go check out this low end camera review on DPReview.com. Scroll down to the section titled "Noise": http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnv10/page3.asp
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Alice

For me, it just looks weird because there's no sky... like normally inbetween the clouds and the sea, you see sky.  Here, the clouds just meet the water.

ReBurn

I like to go to the beach when storms roll in. Incidentally, I've never seen sky between storm clouds and the water when the storm comes in from sea.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ursus

That was taken at Pipeline at about midday. The Eddie Aiku had taken place about a week before, which means that the ocean had kicked up to waves about 20 feet high (measured from the back, not the front). So, you are looking north(ish) and the next land you would see would be the Aleutian Islands.

I think it's the grey scale nature of the clouds when seen against the colors of sky (at the top), ocean and sand.

BTW, the storm came out of the south, and we had rain for about 40 minutes as we drove north out of Honolulu...
I was just wondering...

VikingJuice

Quote from: ursus on February 19, 2007, 01:40:53 AM
That was taken at Pipeline at about midday. The Eddie Aiku had taken place about a week before, which means that the ocean had kicked up to waves about 20 feet high (measured from the back, not the front). So, you are looking north(ish) and the next land you would see would be the Aleutian Islands.

I think it's the grey scale nature of the clouds when seen against the colors of sky (at the top), ocean and sand.

BTW, the storm came out of the south, and we had rain for about 40 minutes as we drove north out of Honolulu...

What is the Eddie Aiku?  I've never heard of that before.

dazie

manosax

Sometimes there are those place that have been used in postcard type of pictures that when you take a photograph of them they don't look real.  Crater Lake in Southern Oregon is another one of those places...

Infobahn