News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

Harry Potter

Started by ignom, May 07, 2005, 08:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnamon

I have never seen or read any Harry Potter movies or books.

Jessie

Quote from: cnamon on May 09, 2005, 09:07:09 AM
I have never seen or read any Harry Potter movies or books.

I've read half of the first book and seen some of the movies.

They are actually pretty good.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

I'll pony up and admit I didn't dig the last book all that much.  I think the formula is getting a bit stale, and she isn't deviating enough from that formula to keep things interesting.  The big death in book 5 didn't have any emotional resonance with me at all.  But that might be because I'm a heartless bastard.

I'm sure I'll continue reading and watching everything until it all ends.

nishi

Quote from: Beef on May 09, 2005, 09:16:39 AM
I'll pony up and admit I didn't dig the last book all that much.  I think the formula is getting a bit stale, and she isn't deviating enough from that formula to keep things interesting.  The big death in book 5 didn't have any emotional resonance with me at all.  But that might be because I'm a heartless bastard.

I'm sure I'll continue reading and watching everything until it all ends.

that's interesting - book 5 is my favorite. i felt it was much more emotionally complex because there were so many times that it was just impossible to like harry - he wasn't just the downtrodden waif, misunderstood by all, waiting to be a hero at the end. on the contrary - there were many times when other people around him knew him much better than he knew himself, but he really wasn't interested in what they had to say.

about the big death - i know what you mean about that, although i suspect that we were supposed to have a stronger response to what that loss meant to harry, as opposed to what losing that particular character might mean to the reader. everybody got knocked off their pedestal in book 5 - harry was petulant shit a great deal of the time and refused to recognize a vital flaw in his personality that ultimately caused a great deal of death and destruction. sirius was also a petulant shit. harry's father was shown to be not as perfect as harry - and everyone else - had wanted him to be. mrs. weasley was much more smothering than motherly. no one was on their best behavior. and then the final scene with dumbledore, where he confesses his own grave grave error in judgement - that was my favorite scene, with two exceptions:

1) the weasley twins exit
2) macgonagall vs. the hogwarts inquistor - professor macgonagall is one of the reasons i love the movies. i had not cast her as maggie smith in my head when i read the first books, and now i'm not sure how i could have missed such perfect internal casting....
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dc

Forget about Harry Potter!  Pamela Anderson's "Star" just came out in paperback today!

meredith

Quote from: nishi on May 09, 2005, 10:15:41 AM
the final scene with dumbledore, where he confesses his own grave grave error in judgement

Yeah, I figure you all should get fair warning:  Some nefarious villain will fire a tiny particle of irritant into each of my eyes during this scene when I watch the movie.  I will not be, nor should you think I am, crying.

That is all. 8)

BigDun

I am currently (and I mean at my desk at work) reading the fourth book bye Eoin Colfer in the Artemis Fowl series.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

nishi

Quote from: hattmoward on May 09, 2005, 10:21:34 AM
the final scene with dumbledore, where he confesses his own grave grave error in judgement

Yeah, I figure you all should get fair warning:  Some nefarious villain will fire a tiny particle of irritant into each of my eyes during this scene when I watch the movie.  I will not be, nor should you think I am, crying.

That is all. 8)

that same nefarious villain has done that to me every time i read that scene! i hate that bastard!!

(i mean - the first time i read that scene, i had to put the book down. i rarely, rarely cry that hard when i read.)

hatt and i will be attending the film together.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dc

Quote from: nishi on May 09, 2005, 10:24:52 AM

That is all. 8)

that same nefarious villain has done that to me every time i read that scene! i hate that bastard!!

(i mean - the first time i read that scene, i had to put the book down. i rarely, rarely cry that hard when i read.)

You're so tenderhearted and sentimental.....

nishi

Quote from: dc on May 09, 2005, 10:27:46 AM

That is all. 8)

You're so tenderhearted and sentimental.....

hey - it's not my fault that no one believes that i'm tenderhearted. sentimental, i'm not so sure about.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bishamonten

That is all. 8)

That's me!  But it ain't pixie dust I'm splashing on your faces...

*cough*

Too far?  Going to hell?  Smite button's right up there, pal.

meredith

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 09, 2005, 10:40:30 AM
That's me!  But it ain't pixie dust I'm splashing on your faces...

*cough*

Too far?  Going to hell?  Smite button's right up there, pal.

Damn you! YOU KNOW I HATE PEPSI!

Beefy

You're assuming there will be a fifth movie.  To my knowledge they haven't signed off on making the fifth one yet.  With each one suffering diminishing returns, the suits may not greenlight films for the three remaining novels.

Youphoric

Quote from: Beef on May 09, 2005, 11:16:17 AM

You're assuming there will be a fifth movie.  To my knowledge they haven't signed off on making the fifth one yet.  With each one suffering diminishing returns, the suits may not greenlight films for the three remaining novels.
I thought Jason Isaacs and a few others already are listed as cast members...

Beefy

Quote from: Youphoric on May 09, 2005, 11:16:58 AM

That's entirely possible.

That said, actors and crew can be signed to contracts but that doesn't mean that the studio has to make a film.  That just means that if they do make it those actors and crew get to refill their specific roles.

The X-Men films are a good example of this.  X3 almost didn't happen, despite much of the crew being signed on.

Youphoric

Quote from: Beef on May 09, 2005, 11:19:19 AM
Quote from: Youphoric on May 09, 2005, 11:16:58 AM

That's entirely possible.

That said, actors and crew can be signed to contracts but that doesn't mean that the studio has to make a film.  That just means that if they do make it those actors and crew get to refill their specific roles.

The X-Men films are a good example of this.  X3 almost didn't happen, despite much of the crew being signed on.
Yeah, after I bought the box set they say hthey're coming out with a new one.  I was annoyed :D

eo000