News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Started by Jessie, September 16, 2007, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

Timothy just cackled his way through this.  I love when he loves a classic. 
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

They're applying the classic tag to all kinds of things now a days, aren't they?

Jessie

How can you not consider that a classic?

There are like, ten million people in it and it's so cheesy funny.

BigDun

I think anything that is over 25 years old can be called classic. At least that's the rule for automobiles.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Alice

Quote from: BigDun on September 16, 2007, 08:26:07 PM
I think anything that is over 25 years old can be called classic. At least that's the rule for automobiles.
And women.

Beefy

It's 30 years, and it's antiquated.  Mad was dated, even back then.

Jessie

It kept Timothy's attention, and it's a long ass movie.  He was seriously kneeslapping and rolling around laughing.  He loves slapstick, though.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2007, 10:25:37 PM
It kept Timothy's attention, and it's a long ass movie.  He was seriously kneeslapping and rolling around laughing.  He loves slapstick, though.

That's great.  Seriously.  He has a great life ahead of him as a film historian.  The movie is still pretty frail.

manosax

But it is a testament to working actors in the 60's and its pretty dern funny...

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on September 16, 2007, 10:27:40 PM

That's great.  Seriously.  He has a great life ahead of him as a film historian.  The movie is still pretty frail.

What he probably has in front of him is years of therapy because he's so mad at me for making him watch old movies.  The first thing he does is open the Netflix envelopes to check the ratings and year made.  If it's before 2000, he groans.  If it's before 1990, he says, "Is this black and white?"

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2007, 10:39:04 PM
Quote from: Beefy on September 16, 2007, 10:27:40 PM

What he probably has in front of him is years of therapy because he's so mad at me for making him watch old movies.  The first thing he does is open the Netflix envelopes to check the ratings and year made.  If it's before 2000, he groans.  If it's before 1990, he says, "Is this black and white?"

Time to show him Schindler's List.

And then show him The Black Cat.

Jessie

Schindler's List might need to wait a couple more years.  What's The Black Cat?

manosax

Have him watch Young Frankenstein or Dr. Strangelove  both B&W CLASSICS!

Alice

I doubt a 12 year old would enjoy Dr. Strangelove.

ursus

Quote from: Alice on September 17, 2007, 07:49:15 AM
I'd go for it. Beats the heck out of most of the drivel made now.

*edit alert!!!*
Movies directed by Michael Bay???   :-X
*end edit alert*
I was just wondering...

Jessie

Transformers was freakin' awesome.  Fantastic bonding experience.

ursus

I dug Mad Hot Ballroom and March of the Penguins for the same reasons.

Plus, I didn't walk out of the theater suffering from tinitis.
I was just wondering...

manosax

My Niece has been watching that for a few years now and he just started high school... but she is SCARY smart....

Alice

Quote from: manosax on September 17, 2007, 04:53:05 PM

My Niece has been watching that for a few years now and he just started high school... but she is SCARY smart....
I could believe some 12 year olds would get it, but I'd be willing to bet those 12 year olds are few and far between.  There are a lot of little nuances to that movie.

ursus

Quote from: Alice on September 17, 2007, 05:14:11 PM
Quote from: manosax on September 17, 2007, 04:53:05 PM

I could believe some 12 year olds would get it, but I'd be willing to bet those 12 year olds are few and far between.  There are a lot of little nuances to that movie.
That's not a stretch, we all know adults that "don't get" any number of movies. Doesn't mean a parent needs to subject a child to less than watchable stuff, especially with all the choices out there. Letting them learn to catch those nuances helps them grow. Life has those nuances too, despite what some demagogues would foist upon us.
I was just wondering...

Alice

I'm not saying you shouldn't let them watch the movie.  But a kid watching a movie and a kid enjoying a movie are two totally different things. 

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on September 18, 2007, 08:10:36 AM
I'm not saying you shouldn't let them watch the movie.  But a kid watching a movie and a kid enjoying a movie are two totally different things. 
Oh, like when my youngest watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. He was all into it until the kid got shot. That scared him and he wouldn't watch it any more. I guess he couldn't comprehend that someone would shoot a kid in a western.

I guess that's why he's a Jedi now.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on September 18, 2007, 08:10:36 AM
But a kid watching a movie and a kid enjoying a movie are two totally different things.
Timothy watched the original, silent, Nosferatu.

Timothy enjoyed Interview with the Vampire.

ursus

Given the predilection folks here have for a certain movie that used ideas first seen in an '80s cartoon, I've edited. My point should have been directed less at that specific feature and more at the POV of the kids.

(The children, what about the children??!!???)

Sorry to have offended.

Thank you.
I was just wondering...

Jessie

Personally, I like to give Timothy a good mix of classics (like the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers), thought provoking stuff (Paperclips) and fun just for the sake of fun (Transformers).