News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

Hairspray

Started by dazie, August 02, 2007, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Good stuff.  I haven't seen the original movie or the show, so I can't compare, but I'm guessing it holds up well.  Heck- Jon Waters is even IN this...

I have never seen Michelle Pfeiffer look so ugly, wow.  Her character is truly awful, and she plays it well.

It was extra creepy though, to hear a Sweathog's voice coming out of Divine.  *lol*  John Travolta can still dance, although it is disturbing.

The costumer needs to design my wardrobe, and I think I'm going to have to get the soundtrack.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

I'm a little nervous about the fact that they turned it into a musical.

dazie

It works- catchy tunes, although evidently not all of the ones from the Broadway show made it into the movie.

Alice

Quote from: dazie on August 02, 2007, 10:59:57 PM
It works- catchy tunes, although evidently not all of the ones from the Broadway show made it into the movie.
That's normally the way it works.  And usually it's the best songs that don't make it in.

Jessie

How could you not have seen the original?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Jon Waters films weren't exactly part of my circle of knowledge while I was growing up...  ;)

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on August 03, 2007, 07:45:58 AM

Because it looks terrible?

Bennyhana

Quote from: Beefy on August 03, 2007, 09:29:27 AM

Right, like you've never seen a terrible movie.

Beefy

Quote from: Bennyhana on August 03, 2007, 09:30:32 AM
Quote from: Beefy on August 03, 2007, 09:29:27 AM

Right, like you've never seen a terrible movie.

Many, many.  But I have not seen the previous version of Hairspray because it looks terrible in a way I don't enjoy.

Gamplayerx

I think Waters movies are required viewing in Maryland.

Beefy

Also, starting today the local cinema has a screen of Hairspray dedicated so that the audience can sing along with the film.  I would stab everyone in there (not that I'd be in there in the first place).

Jessie

I always loved the original.  I also liked Crybaby.  Cecil B. Demented was a disappointment to me, though.

Beefy

I didn't watch Cecil B. Demented, for obvious reasons.  The last new Waters I saw was Pecker.

I did use to own a copy of Pink Flamingos.  That was always good for a shock to the unaware houseguests.  Female Trouble was fun as well.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on August 03, 2007, 09:44:51 AM
I always loved the original.  I also liked Crybaby.  Cecil B. Demented was a disappointment to me, though.
I friggin' love Crybaby.

ReBurn

Waters was on a show on IFC last night. It was about taboo sex in cinema. I don't really know why that's relevant, but there were boobies.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

Saw it again tonight.  (yay free movies!)

It really is good.  I noticed that right about the part I started to tear up (as Queen Latifah was singing) that she had a tear as well.  It wasn't there in the next shot, so I'm wondering if it was "hers" or the makeup guy put it there.  Kate asked me about integration vs segregation, so we had a short (quiet) talk about that.  Good stuff- makes my kid think.

Before the movie started some yahoo was down in the front taking pics with his/her cell phone.  Damn thing had a flash.  After the 4th time I yelled "Cut it out with the flash" because we were all going blind.  I got applauded.  *lol*

ReBurn

I saw it yesterday. I liked it.

DownSouth

I don't think I would like that movie.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

eo000

Is this appropriate for an 8, almost 9 year old?

dazie

I think so.  There's a few innuendos, but I didn't even catch them the first time.

ReBurn

My boys went to see it, albeit against their will.

I'll say to be prepared to discuss social issues around desegregation, because that's one of the major themes. There are themes around that and acceptance of overweight people and interracial relationships.

We had a fight with my mother-in-law because she was angry that we let our kids watch a movie where a white woman kisses a black man. It was one of the most rediculous fights I've ever had in my life.

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on August 14, 2007, 08:22:03 AM
We had a fight with my mother-in-law because she was angry that we let our kids watch a movie where a white woman kisses a black man. It was one of the most rediculous fights I've ever had in my life.
:-\

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on August 14, 2007, 08:26:59 AM
She's very prejudiced against non-caucasian people. I can't stand it.

eo000

no way is kayla seeing it.

Jessie

Don't feel bad Reburn, my grandpa wouldn't let us watch the Cosby Show or any of that other "Nword Crap" and were told that it would break the tv.

That's right.  Showing black people on the tv will break it.  Beware.

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on August 14, 2007, 08:27:45 AM
Quote from: Alice on August 14, 2007, 08:26:59 AM
She's very prejudiced against non-caucasian people. I can't stand it.
That's the way this lady at work is.  Every conversation turns into some racist comment from her.  Even the Indians ruined Target for her, because at the Target by her house, they got rid of all the normal stuff and replaced it with Hindu shit... so she can't find anything good there anymore.  ::)

ReBurn

Jessie

What kind of hindu stuff do they sell at Target that's replaced her Christian stuff, exactly?

eo000

Quote from: ReBurn on August 14, 2007, 08:36:08 AM
Quote from: eo000 on August 14, 2007, 08:28:15 AM
no way is kayla seeing it.
Haha...
first you tell her being fat is okay, next thing you know, you've got to rent a crane to lift her out of the house.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on August 14, 2007, 08:38:44 AM
What kind of hindu stuff do they sell at Target that's replaced her Christian stuff, exactly?

She says mostly the clothing.  I can't see Target selling only Saris... or any Saris at all for that matter.  But I'd like to tell her that maybe she should buy some of the Hindu clothes because they'll sure look a lot better than the crap she wears.

dazie

For a while there Target was carrying "World Marketplace" decorations- Indian-inspired candleholders etc- is that what she means?  Cuz if her Target still has that stuff I have a list of stuff she could go buy for me.

Alice

Quote from: dazie on August 14, 2007, 08:46:06 AM
For a while there Target was carrying "World Marketplace" decorations- Indian-inspired candleholders etc- is that what she means?  Cuz if her Target still has that stuff I have a list of stuff she could go buy for me.
My Target has that.  But from the way she said it, it sounded like *everything* was East Indianized.  Which again, I find hard to believe.

ReBurn

She sounds like a retard. There's already a precedent. You should punch her.

dazie

Hah!

I was just looking up the lyrics to "You Can't Stop the Beat" and found this little gem:

PENNY
And if they try to stop us, seaweed,
I'll call the end of a lacy pea
Cause the world keeps spinning

It's "I'll call the NAACP"  (en double ay see pee)

Jessie

Alice

For your information, lacy peas are very helpful in times of racial turmoil.

Infobahn

Hells Yeah! This movie rocks. 

Cry Baby is on Broadway as a musical now, too.  Movie soon.

BigDun

The pre-broadway run of Shrek: The Musical is running at a theater here in Seattle.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

Quote from: Infobahn on June 21, 2008, 12:17:03 AM
Hells Yeah! This movie rocks. 

Cry Baby is on Broadway as a musical now, too.  Movie soon.
I love Crybaby.  I hate hells yeah.

Infobahn

Quote from: BigDun on June 21, 2008, 01:13:54 AM
The pre-broadway run of Shrek: The Musical is running at a theater here in Seattle.
Yeah, I saw an ad for it on the buses on Thursday.  Yes, I was in town for a whole three hours.

BigDun

Quote from: Infobahn on June 21, 2008, 09:18:06 AM
Yeah, I saw an ad for it on the buses on Thursday.  Yes, I was in town for a whole three hours.
I was in Seattle for 3 hours on Thursday too! Were you in that bus that didn't pull completely out of traffic and blocked my lane for about 3 minutes while passengers loaded and unloaded? I hated that bus.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

Quote from: BigDun on June 21, 2008, 10:30:58 AM
Quote from: Infobahn on June 21, 2008, 09:18:06 AM
I was in Seattle for 3 hours on Thursday too! Were you in that bus that didn't pull completely out of traffic and blocked my lane for about 3 minutes while passengers loaded and unloaded? I hated that bus.
Nope, I got off a plane at 4:30, took a cab downtown, talked to some people, got back in a cab at 7 pm.  I was in town longer, but waiting for my plane most of the time.   Love that massage bar in terminal C.