News:

You know, I think that if there was a person you didn't like, and you handed them Wasabi Peas and a Vernor's ginger ale, and told them to inhale the smell of Vernor's through their nose and then take a bite of the Wasabi Peas and then exhale through their nose, you could kill them and totally get away with it.

Main Menu

how do i go about and stuffing pillows and shit

Started by Dry then Catch, July 24, 2005, 04:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

i was about to by some sweet leather couches from a place called Copenhagen furniture, then i realized i'd rather keep my money rather than let my house environment (more of a youth hostel and dog boarding area) let it get torn up in 2 days cause some visiting dog yakked on it, or joe blow idiot drank too much and yakked on it.

i then realized my current couch is actually in great shape and cool looking.  its just dirty as all hell and then pillows are get deformed

I could A)   unzip the cases and throw them in the washer
          B)  then use that upholestry cleaner i bougt from ebay 5 years ago to clean the parts i can't fit in the washer

however the cushions will still be lumpy.
I unzipped them and saw a sort of bailed cotton ball as the stuffing.

what is the best way to go about redoing the pillows?

should I just stuff a bunch of material in to boost the exisisting bail?

should I buy a completely new pillow thing to stuff in?

if i do what dimensions of measurement do I need to take?

need advice for homework due tommorow

"If you want to be my lover you got to get with my friends..."
-Spice GIrls

Beefy

Quotestuffing pillows with shit

i think you answered your own question

dazie

My recommendation is to take the outside of the pillow only, throw it in the wash and do not put it in the dryer.  Instead, put it somewhere flat and pull it until it is in the original shape, then pin it so it dries in that shape.  (often called "blocking")  Then let it dry.

After it's dry, take it with you and go to a craft store or somewhere that sells craft items, like Wal Mart.  Find someone there to help you.  There are all sorts of stuffing options including just the floofy stuff or premade pillows in various shapes.  If you don't want them to be smushy, you can also get foam rubber inserts, but I think you'd have to go to an upholstery shop for that.

Once you have purchased the new stuffing material AND have stuffed the pillows to your liking, then throw away the existing stuffing.  That way if it didn't turn out the way you wanted it too, you'd still have the original stuff to use.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dazie

PS- I'm going to stab you with a spork.  That lame ass Spice Girls song is now in my head.

:spork:

Dry then Catch

Quote from: dazie on July 24, 2005, 05:08:10 PM
My recommendation is to take the outside of the pillow only, throw it in the wash and do not put it in the dryer.  Instead, put it somewhere flat and pull it until it is in the original shape, then pin it so it dries in that shape.  (often called "blocking")  Then let it dry.

After it's dry, take it with you and go to a craft store or somewhere that sells craft items, like Wal Mart.  Find someone there to help you.  There are all sorts of stuffing options including just the floofy stuff or premade pillows in various shapes.  If you don't want them to be smushy, you can also get foam rubber inserts, but I think you'd have to go to an upholstery shop for that.

Once you have purchased the new stuffing material AND have stuffed the pillows to your liking, then throw away the existing stuffing.  That way if it didn't turn out the way you wanted it too, you'd still have the original stuff to use.

thanks so you would recommend totally removing the old stuffing and replacing it?  do you know of any good material that will retain it shape after much abuse?

dazie

Which material?  The outside cloth or the inside poofy parts?

If it's lumpy, there's not much that will un-lump it.  It may have been washed in the past and dried on too high of a heat, which will fuse acrylic fibers togeter, creating lumps.  It's just easier to get new poofy.

Dry then Catch

the poofy parts that go in the pillows.  whats a good type of stuffing

dazie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 24, 2005, 05:22:19 PM
the poofy parts that go in the pillows.  whats a good type of stuffing

I'd just go with the acrylic stuffing you can get at WalMart or any other craft store.  Yeah- they're organic shade grown hand picked and Budda blessed cotton stuffing, or wool, but honestly- if you have as much traffic in your house as you say you do- the acrylic will work just as well and you can wash it when needed.

I think it's called "poly fill" or something like that.  The kind I'm used to has a picture of stuffed animals on the front and there's lots of pink and blue on the bag.

Gamplayerx

I didn't read this thread past the first couple of sentences.

Anything pillow or blanket or comforter-like that you want to wash, throw a pair of sneakers (not your sneakers, know any girls or kids?) in the dryer and you're golden.

Dry then Catch

now what the heck does sneakers clean comforters and such?

Gamplayerx

The sneakers don't clean it, they make it retain it's consistent poofyness.

Jessie

WTF Catchr, did you try to transform into Martha Stewart over the weekend or some shit?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

The thing with the poofy filling is this:

The poofy filling retains the shape you put it in.  If you grab a chunk of it like a ball and shove it in a pillow, it will stay in that ball shape.  The key is to gently pull it apart a bit so that it's looser.  Then lay it inside the pillow instead of stuffing it.  You can do this by taking out the existing poofy filling (I'm assuming you're talking about polyester fiberfill) and flattening sections of it into flat rectangles, then you can pile them on top of eachother.

If this is too much work for you - at fabric stores they sell pillow forms.  These might be too small for your couch cushion, but you could buy a few of them, put them in the cushion and fill the holes with the fiberfill.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 26, 2005, 11:43:03 AM

The poofy filling retains the shape you put it in.  If you grab a chunk of it like a ball and shove it in a pillow, it will stay in that ball shape.  The key is to gently pull it apart a bit so that it's looser.  Then lay it inside the pillow instead of stuffing it.  You can do this by taking out the existing poofy filling (I'm assuming you're talking about polyester fiberfill) and flattening sections of it into flat rectangles, then you can pile them on top of eachother.

If this is too much work for you - at fabric stores they sell pillow forms.  These might be too small for your couch cushion, but you could buy a few of them, put them in the cushion and fill the holes with the fiberfill.

oh thats a good idea.  do you just get bags of poof, pull them apart and lay them like tortillas in an enchilada casserole as opposed to shoving it up there like so much dirty laudnry in a hamper?

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 26, 2005, 11:57:09 AM

oh thats a good idea.  do you just get bags of poof, pull them apart and lay them like tortillas in an enchilada casserole as opposed to shoving it up there like so much dirty laudnry in a hamper?

Has gamp added you to her weird list yet, because she totally should.

dazie

Exactly.  Keep repeating "tortillas, not underoos" and you'll be fine.

Alice

Yes.  It's time consuming, but will have better results.

Dry then Catch

also...
if i wanted to buy preformed pillows (more solid as Dazie initially recommended) to stuff inside the ravioli (as opposed to making enchiladas), are they one size fits all?  everyone has different sized pillow backings so i could imagine it having to be custom ordered?

how thick should i stuff the pillows?   

cnamon

Just buy a new couch.  It will make your life easier.

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 26, 2005, 03:46:13 PM
also...
if i wanted to buy preformed pillows (more solid as Dazie initially recommended) to stuff inside the ravioli (as opposed to making enchiladas), are they one size fits all?  everyone has different sized pillow backings so i could imagine it having to be custom ordered?

how thick should i stuff the pillows?   

They come in different sizes - like these.

Dry then Catch

sweet so they are called "pillow forms".   i can't wait to delve into this fascintinating world.  so basically i just choose the closests size, and then cut or append to the pillow?

dazie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 26, 2005, 07:13:03 PM
sweet so they are called "pillow forms".   i can't wait to delve into this fascintinating world.  so basically i just choose the closests size, and then cut or append to the pillow?

You can pick the closest size, but if it's the back cushion on a couch, they might not have it.

Jessie

Just let your boyfriend pick out the pillows, Drew.

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 26, 2005, 07:13:03 PM
You won't be able to cut these.  But you can probably find one that fits - or two that would fit side by side.  If there is any gaps on the sides, use the old poly fiberfill and fill up the empty space.

Dry then Catch

im going to take pictures tonight or tommorow of said task