News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

Semolina's

Started by Miss Molly, March 16, 2006, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Molly

I convinced my coworker to go to Semolina's for lunch yesterday.  I haven't eaten there in years, but for some reason I was craving the Pad Thai.  She was reluctant since she wasn't crazy about the place, but somehow I convinced her.

Now, granted I hadn't been there in years, but part of the whole appeal to me was this particular one used to be really nice.  Really great decor and such. 

We go in, and they'd totally changed it.  It had been remodeled, for the WORSE.  It was very cheap cafe-esque. 

They sat us at a tiny table about 3 feet from the door.  The waiter came and got our drink orders and brought us the drinks.  He came and got our entree orders.  Someone brought out our salads and literally reached over my shoulder to put the bread basket down on the table.  My dirty salad plate and the empty bread basket was left in front of me for the whole meal.  The waiter didn't check on us once, except at the end when he saw us not eating and asked if we wanted a to go box.  Cheryl said, no actually, I'd like some parmesan cheese for my pasta.  He ran off, brought the cheese, handed it to her and turned to walk off again.  I called him back and we asked for drink refills.  He finally brought them out, and we finished our entrees.  We were both pretty pissed at the poor service, so we had our cards out for when we got the check.  When the waiter came back to clear the table, he just PICKED UP our cards and took them to get the bill.

I have NEVER been to any sit-down restaurant where someone took my payment before giving me the check.

I left him a $1.33 tip to round my check to $17 even.  We have 9% tax here, and I always double the tax and round up (making it 20%+) to figure my tip.  I was tempted to leave a note telling him why he got a shitty tip.

Never again, Semolina!

Gamplayerx

I hate bad service - really ruins a good meal.

cnamon

Last time I had bad service, I bitched and got my meal comped.  I will never go to the Outback in Waldorf again.

DownSouth

This place gives you bad service on purpose.  It gets really old, really fast.

http://www.dickslastresort.com/
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Gamplayerx

Last time I had bad service, we walked out of Harry Browne's on Valentine's Day.  They sent us a really long letter of apology and a gift certificate for $100.  We haven't been back.

Alice

The name is too much like Salmonella - I wouldn't eat there.

cnamon

Quote from: DownSouth on March 16, 2006, 11:32:10 AM
This place gives you bad service on purpose.  It gets really old, really fast.

http://www.dickslastresort.com/
I have never been...seems too themey to me.  

I am not a fan of theme restaurants...I like ESPN Zone for games and the fact that it is a buffet of sports...but other than that, I don't dig the themes...

I don't like eating AT Hooter's, but I like the wings.

Jessie

I give bad service not because we're an Ed Debevic's kind of place, but because, hey, it's fun.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

swolt

Are you talking about the one on Sherwood? I won't go there either.

I've never been a fan of Semolina's though.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Alice

Quote from: cnamon on March 16, 2006, 11:49:23 AM
My friend Kate had Hooters cater her wedding.  :)

cnamon

Quote from: Alice on March 16, 2006, 12:00:53 PM
Really?

That is kind of awesome.

In fact, I wouldn't mund having their wings and chicken strips at my reception...

Alice

Quote from: cnamon on March 16, 2006, 12:02:01 PM
Really?

That is kind of awesome.

In fact, I wouldn't mund having their wings and chicken strips at my reception...
It was so good.  I never understood the point of having uber fancy food at a wedding - get food that people like!

cnamon

Quote from: Alice on March 16, 2006, 12:04:35 PM
Really?

That is kind of awesome.

It was so good.  I never understood the point of having uber fancy food at a wedding - get food that people like!
I know!

We are going to have a cookout since it will be an informal reception.  Hamburgers, hot dogs, crab cakes, meatballs, chips, and more of your standard cookout fare.

We will have a wedding cake, but nothing over the top.

Listener

Quote from: Alice on March 16, 2006, 12:04:35 PM
Really?

That is kind of awesome.

We didn't have terribly fancy food at my wedding, but it all had to be kosher (meat) or pareve (neither meat nor dairy).  Kosher and pareve food is hella expensive.

Miss Molly

Quote from: swolt on March 16, 2006, 11:59:35 AM
Are you talking about the one on Sherwood? I won't go there either.

I've never been a fan of Semolina's though.

No, the one on Bennington off College.