News:

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes thing more acceptable for awhile.

Main Menu

Bathroom renovation?

Started by cnamon, January 06, 2006, 11:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnamon

Has anyone had any experience with this?  We want to knock down the wall between our two bathrooms upstairs, get rid of one tub and one toilet, add a stand alone shower, have a vanity with a sink, and put a different tile throughout.

How difficult is it?  About how long would that take?

Alice

Have you done renovations before?  Have you worked with plumbing before?  Have you tiled before?

cnamon

Quote from: Alice on January 06, 2006, 11:29:45 AM
Have you done renovations before?  Have you worked with plumbing before?  Have you tiled before?
No. No. No.

I will get a pro to do most of it...I just want to get a general feel of the process (and how long I will be without a shower).

My sole role is to pick out everything.

Alice

Oh, good.  I was afraid you guys were going to tackle this yourselves.  I'd guess you guys would be under renovation for 3-4  weeks.

Listener

Quote from: Alice on January 06, 2006, 11:38:12 AM
Oh, good.  I was afraid you guys were going to tackle this yourselves.  I'd guess you guys would be under renovation for 3-4  weeks.

I hope you have a third bathroom with a shower or tub or something, or else you'll be showering at the gym for quite some time.

We had considered extending the back of our house by a few feet so we could do some work on our bathroom, but in the end we decided not to.

Wow, that story had no point.

cnamon

We have a half bathroom downstairs.

We are just so cramped in our bathroom...doing all that will add space to move around and store stuff.

I can shower at work.  That is no big deal.

HELIX

difficult to say....
if the guy is reliable I would agree with alice that it should take up to 3 weeks as long as all of the stuff you need is in and doesn't have to be ordered
if the guy is not reliable...could be months
the hard part is finding a relaible person...usually they are expensive but if you know someone who has had renovations done and are happy with the worker it may make the process easier....we had work done and the guy was awesome...would have you give him a call but i don't think he would drive all that way each day
Some people look at jerky and say, "Why?"  I look at jerky and say, "Mmm! Jerky!"

Infobahn

grace

Quote from: cnamon on January 06, 2006, 11:28:26 AM
Has anyone had any experience with this?  We want to knock down the wall between our two bathrooms upstairs, get rid of one tub and one toilet, add a stand alone shower, have a vanity with a sink, and put a different tile throughout.

How difficult is it?  About how long would that take?
i was a store manager for home depot for about 15yrs. 
ask to see some of your contractors jobs, not pics either. that way you can talk to the customer.
if he's good, he'll want you to see his work.
time frame... pin him down in writting and try and go with "stock" merchandise and avoid special orders. they take a long time to arrive (usually) and if something "unforseen" happens, which always happens.... you can exchange "stuff".

Beefy

It took me a year and a half just to do the wallpaper/paint and grout. 

My suggestion: move.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on January 09, 2006, 08:07:35 PM
It took me a year and a half just to do the wallpaper/paint and grout. 

My suggestion: move.
hah!

God that's an unattractive avatar.  Not as bad as the last one, though.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

nishi

when you say "most of it" - which part are you guys planning to do?

because, after 4 weeks without a shower in your house, and having to share a downstairs half bath... you will HATE one another. plunging into a necessary home renovation project at that point is not recommended.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

Quote from: nishi on January 09, 2006, 08:23:49 PM

because, after 4 weeks without a shower in your house, and having to share a downstairs half bath... you will HATE one another. plunging into a necessary home renovation project at that point is not recommended.
I plan on picking out all the fixtures, tile, and grout.

Alice

My cousin and his wife renovate homes together and sell them for profit.  They do everything... including jacking up the house to level the foundation.  Yet, they don't really fight. 

I told them it's creepy - that they should be at eachother's throats by now... but they say they always have fun with it.  I think they are the only couple in existence that can do remodeling together and not fight.

dazie

Quote from: Alice on January 10, 2006, 09:45:10 AM

My cousin and his wife renovate homes together and sell them for profit.  They do everything... including jacking up the house to level the foundation.  Yet, they don't really fight. 

I told them it's creepy - that they should be at eachother's throats by now... but they say they always have fun with it.  I think they are the only couple in existence that can do remodeling together and not fight.

Do they live in the houses while they do it?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

I can't paint a room with my wife without us getting into a fight.  I need to learn to shut up and just put the paint on the wall.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

Quote from: dazie on January 10, 2006, 09:45:44 AM
Quote from: Alice on January 10, 2006, 09:45:10 AM

Do they live in the houses while they do it?
They've lived in 2 of them.

cnamon

Quote from: ReBurn on January 10, 2006, 09:55:54 AM
I can't paint a room with my wife without us getting into a fight.  I need to learn to shut up and just put the paint on the wall.
Good plan.

I picked out most of the colors in my house.  Jeff picked the color in the half bath.  That's it.

Beefy

Next time, channel Pimpy.

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on January 10, 2006, 10:47:47 AM

Then I'll end up sleeping on DS's floor.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on January 10, 2006, 10:49:48 AM

Poor Pimpy has been emasculated.

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on January 10, 2006, 10:51:10 AM

As if there was ever any question of that.

DownSouth

Quote from: ReBurn on January 10, 2006, 10:51:40 AM

Ignore the clown standing over you if you wake up in the middle of the night.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

You ride in the back, don't you?

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on January 10, 2006, 11:25:34 AM

You ride in the back, don't you?
Are you kidding?  If I were to ride in the back the heart attack would kill me.  I may be whipped, but I'm not stupid.