News:

Incontinence Hotline ... Can you hold, please?

Main Menu

Microwave

Started by Miss Molly, May 10, 2006, 12:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Molly

So, I had a microwave when I lived in New Orleans.  When I moved, I gave it to my friend Moon.  Her apartment flooded, but for some reason I thought she salvaged it because I remembered seeing a white microwave at my friend Aaron's house where her stuff was stored temporarily.

When Josh helped me get my stuff from nola Sunday, I took the microwave.  I discovered that it indeed was not MY microwave; apparently that one was thrown out because it was flooded.  I thought "oh well" since the microwave at Aaron's house was bigger and a better brand.  It was disgusting though... things growing in it disgusting.

But I took it home and cleaned the hell out of it with bleach.  When I went to use it, the light worked, it turned on, it kept time, it made noise like it was working.  But it didn't actually heat.  I put something in there for 5 minutes on power 10 and it was still stone cold.

Does anybody know if this would be easily (and very very cheaply) fixed?  Or am I better off begging someone for another one?

Dry then Catch

sounds like the magnetron may be broken, and its probably better to go to a big box store and get a replacement. 

Bennyhana

Quote from: Miss Molly on May 10, 2006, 12:49:02 PM
So, I had a microwave when I lived in New Orleans.  When I moved, I gave it to my friend Moon.  Her apartment flooded, but for some reason I thought she salvaged it because I remembered seeing a white microwave at my friend Aaron's house where her stuff was stored temporarily.

When Josh helped me get my stuff from nola Sunday, I took the microwave.  I discovered that it indeed was not MY microwave; apparently that one was thrown out because it was flooded.  I thought "oh well" since the microwave at Aaron's house was bigger and a better brand.  It was disgusting though... things growing in it disgusting.

But I took it home and cleaned the hell out of it with bleach.  When I went to use it, the light worked, it turned on, it kept time, it made noise like it was working.  But it didn't actually heat.  I put something in there for 5 minutes on power 10 and it was still stone cold.

Does anybody know if this would be easily (and very very cheaply) fixed?  Or am I better off begging someone for another one?

I seriously doubt it.  I know that I wouldn't fuck with a microwave, and I'll take almost anything apart.

Miss Molly

Sigh, that's the answer I was expecting.  I know I can get a small one (which is really all I need) at walmart for around $35, but I've spent soooo much money on stuff for this apartment and I am just really sick of buying crap, plus I need to stop spending.

Maybe I can get one on freecyle.

DownSouth

Quote from: Miss Molly on May 10, 2006, 12:57:13 PM
Sigh, that's the answer I was expecting.  I know I can get a small one (which is really all I need) at walmart for around $35, but I've spent soooo much money on stuff for this apartment and I am just really sick of buying crap, plus I need to stop spending.

Maybe I can get one on freecyle.
Go to goodwill.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

swolt

hahaha you cleaned all that nasty ass crap out and it still wouldn't work. There is a moral in there somewhere.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Bennyhana

Quote from: swolt on May 10, 2006, 01:43:03 PM
hahaha you cleaned all that nasty ass crap out and it still wouldn't work. There is a moral in there somewhere.

Moral: make sure it's functional before you make it pretty.

Jessie

I got my big ass microwave at the goodwill for $8.  It's old and not particularly pretty, but it gets stuff hot.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on May 11, 2006, 10:09:45 AM
I got my big ass at the goodwill for $8.  It's old and not particularly pretty, but it gets stuff hot.

Damn straight!  Woop!
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Miss Molly

The new roomie has one.  I'll have to fend without for 2 weeks.

/commits hari kari.

Listener

When my parents redid their kitchen, they got one of those monster oven-sized microwaves that is built into the wall above the actual oven.  That would be a cool thing to have.

We haven't paid for a microwave yet.  Our first one was a leftover from when my brother-in-law was in college, and our second was left for us by our ex-roommate, who didn't need it when he moved.

dazie

We haven't had a microwave since we moved last summer.  99% of the time that's not a problem. 
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

I only use my microwave to reheat some leftovers and occasionally for thawing purposes.  I can't think of the last time I 'cooked' with it.  Oh, except lean cuisine type stuff.

pumpkineye

some people claim you can microwave eggs and they are tastey.  I am highly uncomfortable with this idea.  I use the microwave to heat up leftovers, and to heat some ingredients when I make ranch dressing from scratch, but thats it.

Jessie

Quote from: pumpkineye on May 11, 2006, 12:58:14 PM
some people claim you can microwave eggs and they are tastey.  I am highly uncomfortable with this idea.  I use the microwave to heat up leftovers, and to heat some ingredients when I make ranch dressing from scratch, but thats it.
Microwaved scrambled eggs are not bad.  I used to make them all the time when I was a teenager.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on May 11, 2006, 12:59:50 PM
Microwaved scrambled eggs are not bad.  I used to make them all the time when I was a teenager.

In fact, I just made some yesterday.  The trick is to have a bowl or plate that fits a good contour of the egg.  I would argue now that Jessie is the most normal person here.  As opposed to my prior opinion.  I also retract my 'dried up ancient cooch' statement.  Referring of course to Jessie's vag. 

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on May 11, 2006, 01:14:12 PM
Quote from: Jessie on May 11, 2006, 12:59:50 PM

In fact, I just made some yesterday.  The trick is to have a bowl or plate that fits a good contour of the egg.  I would argue now that Jessie is the most normal person here.  As opposed to my prior opinion.  I also retract my 'dried up ancient cooch' statement.  Referring of course to Jessie's vag. 
There's nothing better than eggs from a dried up ancient cooch.

ReBurn

I paid so much for my current microwave that my ass is still hurting.  Did you know it costs about $35 more for a stainless steel finished one than a regular painted one?  And why is that?  Because I thought the stainless steel stuff was the same, just unpainted.  Oh, how little I knew.

At least someone at the habitat for humanity store is getting good use out of my old one.  And my old, perfectly functional range and refrigerator, too.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on May 11, 2006, 08:56:08 PM
I paid so much for my current microwave that my ass is still hurting.  Did you know it costs about $35 more for a stainless steel finished one than a regular painted one?  And why is that?  Because I thought the stainless steel stuff was the same, just unpainted.  Oh, how little I knew.

At least someone at the habitat for humanity store is getting good use out of my old one.  And my old, perfectly functional range and refrigerator, too.

welcome to married life.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

DownSouth

Putting eggs in the microwave is fun.  Also messy.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

cnamon

We have a stainless steel built in above our stove, too.  I only use it for leftovers and popcorn. 

I don't like baked potatoes cooked in the microwave...I would rather wait for the oven.

I don't know about eggs in the microwave...it doesn't seem right.

DownSouth

Quote from: cnamon on May 15, 2006, 11:56:22 AM
We have a stainless steel built in above our stove, too.  I only use it for leftovers and popcorn. 

I don't like baked potatoes cooked in the microwave...I would rather wait for the oven.

Put a whole egg in the microwave.  Tons of fun.  Gremlins style.

cnamon

Quote from: DownSouth on May 15, 2006, 11:59:45 AM
Quote from: cnamon on May 15, 2006, 11:56:22 AM

Put a whole egg in the microwave.  Tons of fun.  Gremlins style.
I'll do it when you are in town cause I am not cleaning that up.