News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

twist of fate

Started by nishi, March 30, 2005, 02:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

ok. here's the back story:

my mom has been a UL cardinals basketball fan since before i was born, and has had season tickets for all that time. i have pictures of myself at 10 years old with the 1972 team that went to the final four. our family was SERIOUS about NCAA basketball. my mom detests football and when they were building the football program, you had to buy football tickets to keep your basketball tickets. she did so, year after year, with much bitter complaining.

like many cards fans, my mom hates the university of kentucky with a deep and abiding passion. imagine her horror when the ex-UK coach, rick pitino, became the coach for UL. she stripped her home of UL flags, posters, and all assorted icons. she lent her season ticket seats to friends, until the day when pitino moved on, and she could again root for her beloved cards without, apparently, getting any UK cooties.

in the past couple of years, she has started watching the games on television. and no, i have no idea why that is acceptable. my mom is a loon and her logic is nothing short of unfollowable. this year, she has followed the team pretty closely, but again, only on tv.

yesterday she got a phone call. as a season ticket holder, she was automatically entered into the final four ticket lottery.... and she won. to her credit, she did offer the seats first to the people that have been using her season tickets. for whatever reason, they didn't want to go.

my mom and my brother are headed to st. louis!!!
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

That is so freakin awesome.

nishi

it is pretty amazing. in all her years of supporting the team, she has never come close to getting to see a final four game. my brother got to go when UL won the NCAA championship ('82, i think?) - he won tickets in the student lottery.

oddly, she and my brother had plans to see a chicago bulls game that night. they are now busily changing travel plans. also, we were going to finally celebrate christmas when he brought her back from chicago, but i think that's cancelled now. we'll have christmas sometime..... after swim season is over i think (he's a swim coach).
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

DownSouth

That's really cool.  I kind of know how she feels now that whiny bitch Spurrier is our coach.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

cnamon

Quote from: DownSouth on March 30, 2005, 03:10:58 PM
That's really cool.  I kind of know how she feels now that whiny bitch Spurrier is our coach.
I am glad he is out of DC.

Jessie

That's awesome.  My family consists of ALL huge UL fans.

My dad had reservations about Pitino, too.

There's no denying that SOMETHING has turned the program around since he's been there.

80 and 86 they won the championship.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

OBB

ignom

Knoxville has the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, so there.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

dc

Quote from: ignom on March 30, 2005, 03:15:10 PM
Knoxville has the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, so there.

And the World's Fair.

DownSouth

When's the last time UT womens basketball had a losing season?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nishi

Quote from: jessie on March 30, 2005, 03:11:36 PM
That's awesome.  My family consists of ALL huge UL fans.

There's no denying that SOMETHING has turned the program around since he's been there.

yes - crum had just gotten old and tired and really was not motivating the kids. in his heydey - 80 and 86 being good examples - he was one of the best coaches is the country.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

Quote from: nishi on March 30, 2005, 03:22:36 PM
Quote from: jessie on March 30, 2005, 03:11:36 PM
That's awesome.  My family consists of ALL huge UL fans.

yes - crum had just gotten old and tired and really was not motivating the kids. in his heydey - 80 and 86 being good examples - he was one of the best coaches is the country.

Absolutely.

They interviewed him in the paper today, and he was saying how much fun it was seeing these kids do such a great job.

Did you see that 16,000 turned out for the pep rally last night?

ignom

Quote from: DownSouth on March 30, 2005, 03:20:32 PM
When's the last time UT womens basketball had a losing season?

Never ever. Though they lose to U Conn a lot I think. Pat Summitt is now the winningest coach in female basketbal, if not all basketball.

I have a beer from the World's Fair.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

eo000

cnamon

Quote from: eo000 on March 30, 2005, 04:22:42 PM
so jealous.
Of the Final Four or the World's Fair beer?

eo000

nishi

Quote from: eo000 on March 30, 2005, 04:24:04 PM
Quote from: cnamon on March 30, 2005, 04:23:18 PM
so jealous.
Final Four.

i actually posted this thread for you. not to make you jealous, but because i don't know anyone outside my family that would love to go more than you.

i will have my brother take many pictures!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

Quote from: nishi on March 30, 2005, 04:37:32 PM
Quote from: eo000 on March 30, 2005, 04:24:04 PM
Quote from: cnamon on March 30, 2005, 04:23:18 PM
so jealous.
Final Four.

i actually posted this thread for you. not to make you jealous, but because i don't know anyone outside my family that would love to go more than you.

i will have my brother take many pictures!
thanks. My boss is going too. The tickets are super cheap if you buy them through the school, but all of MSU's tickets went to Donors and students. he gets all three games for $110.

kelbel

Wow that is great! Hope they have a great time all though I will be rooting for IL. Sorry
:)

nishi

mom and tom just hit the trail about an hour ago - they're planning to make it to st. louis in time for team practice at 11:30 CST. my mom was so eager to get the hell out of town that she made the server at breakfast take her credit card even though he had both hands full of drinks for people sitting several tables away. she's a fucking maniac.

i did check with her this morning - she's been a UL season ticket holder since 1957.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

I'd love to hang out with your mom and Gamp's mom.

That would be a riot.

Jessie